Help with files

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulgirl

Reaction score

Hi everyone, which files do you use to do the filing after curing the gels?
I have been using my e-file but having some trouble as in sometimes I file a little too much and end up filing the layer of gel also.
I wanted to know what file is good for working the nail after curing and before gloss.
I use a 100/180 and find it too soft.
Thanks.

I usually use a 180 grit, then a 240, then finish with the rough then the softer side of my Salon System sanding sponge (loooove that!) to ensure that I've removed any scratches or they show up afterwards. Sometimes I only use a 240 then the sanding sponge if I haven't been too cack-handed with my gel in the first place (learning that I'm 'playing' with it too much!).
Are you having to file a lot to remove bumps and lumps? If you're only refining the surface (hark at me, talking like a pro! I've only been using these gels 2 weeks!) then a 100-180 should be OK. I've never gone harder than a 100 and that was when I was buffing the whole lot off.
PM me if you want hun, it would be good to have a natter with another Pronails geek.
PS - sorry no pics last night, will try to bung them on this morning, it's just been manic yesterday. I should know not to make promises I can't keep :o

Hi Sandra

I wouldn't recommend that you use an e-file on a gel. It is much too fierce for a gel and creates too much very fine dust.

I know this is easy to say but you should be aiming for using just a white block to refine the edges of the gel and the free edge then glossing.

If you are getting some bumps, is this because the gel has slid to the side? (in which case apply a 2 thinner layers or 'lock' it as its applied for 10sec under lamp) If the bumps are because you are using a gel that doesn't self level smooth the surface with the extreme tip of your brush just on the surface of the gel.

a 240 grit should be right for a gel as it is relatively soft. Anything harder will disturb it too much.

Any help?
Marian

Hi mum I use the e-file very carefuly and don't worry, I know that it can damage the gel if not used right. But I file the excess gel with a fine band and very few rpm's.
I realised what I was doing wrong, putting too much building gel and that's why I was having so many problems filing afterwards.
Anyway thanks a lot for the advice. :)

I use Brisa Gel and for refining I use 240 grit file..........

But I aim to produce a good nail with my brush not my file.....
Most of the time all I use is a white buffing block to finish the nail, before I use the sealing gel.................
With Gel you can get the nearly perfect finish and only a little buff is needed for the sealer to get a grip for the last layer..........
JMHO

I love doing all my gel work using Creatives Outblack, It shapes the nails beautifully without being too aggressive. The Outblack is also excellent for tip tailoring and blending. The Outblack is defo in my top 5 fave nail tools it just does soooo much and lasts forever!

Latest posts

Back