Help with Gelish overlays please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi so I've recently got back into gel nails as the previous salon I worked in didn't offer them so I'm a little unsure ..So im using gelish builder clear gel on natural nails doing overlays .I do a few hairdressers nails and the strength of the overlays will prolong their 2 week polish .. But I've tested it out on a friend and she had one come off..completely clean off in one. She is a hairdresser also . So my method is obvs file, buff n push back cuticles .. Dehydrate and primer . Then I use my builder gel and cure in led lamp. I use two coats of colour .. Either gelish or perfect match then a top coat. I want to get this gel right as it's the only thing I struggle with and I want to provide long lasting nails to clients that work as hairdressers. Thanks in advance .. Any advice is very much appreciated x SJ

For extra strength it's probably structure gel you'll need. Over colour for strength or under colour for ridges etc.

You say you file then 'buff' the nail. What grit are you using? You may be smoothing the nail plate rather than roughing in slightly for the gel to adhere. Just a thought x

Hi so I've recently got back into gel nails as the previous salon I worked in didn't offer them so I'm a little unsure ..So im using gelish builder clear gel on natural nails doing overlays .I do a few hairdressers nails and the strength of the overlays will prolong their 2 week polish .. But I've tested it out on a friend and she had one come off..completely clean off in one. She is a hairdresser also . So my method is obvs file, buff n push back cuticles .. Dehydrate and primer . Then I use my builder gel and cure in led lamp. I use two coats of colour .. Either gelish or perfect match then a top coat. I want to get this gel right as it's the only thing I struggle with and I want to provide long lasting nails to clients that work as hairdressers. Thanks in advance .. Any advice is very much appreciated x SJ

To clarify, you are using the hard gel - yes.? Because the structure gel mentioned above is soak off and would be used after foundation which you didn't mention and you would need if you were just using gel polish.

Hi guys I'm using hard gel and 180 file to buff nails .. So I used the soak off gel before but didn't last at all .. I always put gel under colour. Should I also finish off with a top coat of gel but only soft gel ..,?? Thanks ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1422896706.222738.jpg

Could be a number of things....could be a problem with your prep, or could be that the gel was too close to the cuticle and once it began to grow out it completely lifted, could also be that the c curve wasn't strong enough and the nail broke off at the stress point, could be that your friend didn't care for her nails correctly it literally could be so many things. Also could be the fact she's a hairdresser as hairdressers have their hands in water constantly and deal with harsh products everyday it's hard for me to say without seeing it myself however because it's 1 finger I would say it may have something to do with your c curve and gel not being thick enough. Hope this long explanation helps in some way ;)

Thanks ..sorry only get back now ..I rang nail harmony and they sent me out the gelish primer and it did the trick 😬💋

Latest posts

Back