Help with hair extensions (sticky bonds)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie-Liz

Reaction score
hey geeks, I wondered if anyone with hair extension experience could advise me please as I haven't heard back from my extensionist. I had micro ring extensions fitted around 2 weeks ago, I've just washed my hair with the extension care shampoo and conditioner that I was advised to use and I applied the conditioner below the bonds as advised. The silicone parts of my extensions (U tips) are very sticky, the ring itself is sticky too! I don't understand how this has happened, I don't use sun beds, I don't go swimming and I don't use products like hair spray, mousse or serum full stop - never have. Do they need removing or will they be ok? Sorry if this has already been asked somewhere, I'm struggling with this new site (still). Thanks for reading x

hey geeks, I wondered if anyone with hair extension experience could advise me please as I haven't heard back from my extensionist. I had micro ring extensions fitted around 2 weeks ago, I've just washed my hair with the extension care shampoo and conditioner that I was advised to use and I applied the conditioner below the bonds as advised. The silicone parts of my extensions (U tips) are very sticky, the ring itself is sticky too! I don't understand how this has happened, I don't use sun beds, I don't go swimming and I don't use products like hair spray, mousse or serum full stop - never have. Do they need removing or will they be ok? Sorry if this has already been asked somewhere, I'm struggling with this new site (still). Thanks for reading x
Micro rings and utip extensions are completely different. Have you got one you could post a picture of?

I think you mean the 'i' tip dont you hun ? So the keratin (glue) part of you hair extension is sticky ?

Sorry i cant really be much help, as haven't come across this problem yet. But of what im aware, the keratin shouldn't really be sticky ? Have you caught any heat appliances on them ? I.e. Hair dryer or straighteners, curlers ?

Micro rings and utip extensions are completely different. Have you got one you could post a picture of?
Ah I do apologise, I don't know what I'm talking about lol. its the tip part that the micro ring is attached to that's gone sticky. They are the plasticy but at the end n because they are U shaped I assumed they were U tips.

I think you mean the 'i' tip dont you hun ? So the keratin (glue) part of you hair extension is sticky ?

Sorry i cant really be much help, as haven't come across this problem yet. But of what im aware, the keratin shouldn't really be sticky ? Have you caught any heat appliances on them ? I.e. Hair dryer or straighteners, curlers ?

I have been very careful with heated tools, I turned my hair dryer down to the lowest one before cold. They were fine until I washed with my hair extension care kit and when they were wet they were shocking! Once dry they are slightly tacky. I might just pop back into the salon so my hairdresser can look. It's every single one that's like it. I'm more worried that my natural hair will stick to the tips and get matted or cause breakage.

I've tried to add a picture, this is a bond I lost in the first week. it's the silicone/plastic bit under the ring I'm finding sticky.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 137
I've tried to add a picture, this is a bond I lost in the first week. it's the silicone/plastic bit under the ring I'm finding sticky.

That extension that has been used is a nail tip but they are supposed to be heated/melted and rolled around the hair to create a bond. So I don't know why on earth she has attached it with a micro rings. Extensions for micro rings should be itip/stick tip. Has she replied? I'd be asking why she has fitted extensions that are supposed to be glued in with micro rings x

No that is a micro ring extension

There's a u tip which is connected to the micro ring, you put the natural hair through the plastic loop and pull through the ring and clamp the ring shut. The only thing I have to say is that in my experience these type of extensions are usually bought from eBay not many propper extension companies sell this type so maybe the quality of keratin on the u tip is a bit bad excuse my minging fingers lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    669.9 KB · Views: 90
There's a u tip which is connected to the micro ring, you put the natural hair through the plastic loop and pull through the ring and clamp the ring shut. The only thing I have to say is that in my experience these type of extensions are usually bought from eBay not many propper extension companies sell this type so maybe the quality of keratin on the u tip is a bit bad excuse my minging fingers lol

I know where the extensions came from. They are from xtensions.co.uk, she has had a look at them n suggested they be removed as they can't have maintenance. They seem to be shot from heat. I didn't turn my hair dryer down far enough and when I was making my natural hair on top big I was using full heat followed by a cool shot which probably wasted the top line of bonds. I also used a shampoo n conditioner called x-10 which didn't do much good! Shame really because the hair itself is still in fab condition.
Thank you all for the responses, perhaps I should go for a stick tip next time and be more careful with heat, product and the sun.

I know where the extensions came from. They are from xtensions.co.uk, she has had a look at them n suggested they be removed as they can't have maintenance. They seem to be shot from heat. I didn't turn my hair dryer down far enough and when I was making my natural hair on top big I was using full heat followed by a cool shot which probably wasted the top line of bonds. I also used a shampoo n conditioner called x-10 which didn't do much good! Shame really because the hair itself is still in fab condition.
Thank you all for the responses, perhaps I should go for a stick tip next time and be more careful with heat, product and the sun.
If the hair is still good keep it, it's really easy to make into stick tips, you can just refit it then

Latest posts

Back