Help with LVL2 beauty qualification

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkle29

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Im coming to the end of my Beauty Therapy Level 2 course which includes day, evening/special occasion makeup and I'm unsure whether once I've gained that qualification I'd be able to say I'm a qualified makeup artist as well as all the obvious beauty treatments..

Unsure!!😁

I wouldn't call myself a professional makeup artist after doing just level 2 beauty therapy if your college was anything like mine it's all very basic. With so many trained in makeup artistry professionally these days and looks being so complicated and girls thinking you should be able to do it if you advertise as a makeup artist you could cause yourself problems. I suppose it boils down to your confidence and ability though really. If a client came in asking to be contoured like Kim k or to have a cut crease done would you be able to do that?
I also done level 3 fashion & photographic makeup and I still wouldn't call myself a makeup artist but that's coz I'm not 100% confident in my own abilities and I know girls where I live would expect a very high standard of makeup if I called myself that. I also find some girls are VERY picky about the brand of product you are using so you need to have a good kit built up.

Is makeup your passion? If so perhaps think about training as a makeup artist instead of continuing down the level 3 route?

I dunno if that helps at all a and I am sorry not trying to put you off just my personal opinion. Good luck anyway x

I think if you like makeup then do another course in more advanced makeup.
I'm also coming to the end of level 2 and don't feel from what I've learned I could provide good enough makeup to be able to charge for proms/weddings etc. Although I am better than most as I'm a bit of a makeup fiend. I've learned more from YouTube videos that college!
We did loads of contouring at college though! Just not enough eye looks.

I am a self taught mua with no formal qualifications, however I am naturally creative and good at art ect, I have also worked on celebrities, so for myself to compete a course of any sort would be of no benefit to me just cost me money.

I have however spent hundreds and hundreds of hours training myself, via info which can be found on the intranet, youtube, books ect.

I also know a lot of ppl that are trained and still learning, so practise is key.

I am a self taught mua with no formal qualifications, however I am naturally creative and good at art ect, I have also worked on celebrities, so for myself to compete a course of any sort would be of no benefit to me just cost me money.

I have however spent hundreds and hundreds of hours training myself, via info which can be found on the intranet, youtube, books ect.

I also know a lot of ppl that are trained and still learning, so practise is key.

How did you get insured if you have no qualifications? Do clients not ask why you don't have certification?

In 15 years of working I have never had a client ask to see any kind of insurance or certification!

Vic x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

Well often you see certificates on the walls so don't need to ask.
Let's hope you don't make a mistake and get sued!

Many therapists work mobile, especially in the make up industry, so no certs on walls. I have a salon but have no certs on the walls as I choose not to!

I think most people would agree that to work without insurance would be mad but there are more ways to get trained and insured than just the traditional routes.

Vic x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

I did my level 2 beauty therapy over 10 years ago didn't feel confident enough it was basic. After I worked with a few well known brands on counters in department store and I learnt so much.

You could get a part time job doing that and read book look at you tube etc. with make-up you are forever learning as the industry is forever changing.

If you invest in the likes of Jane Iredale makeup brand (which is brilliant btw) you can go on makeup courses with them. That way you'll gain a lot and also know how to use their products to the best.

Qualifications are really for insurance purposes and to learn basics. If you want to be a make up artist invest in good quality brands go on Youtube learn and build up a portfolio.

Some of my friends are 'make up artists' after 1 day courses as they have always made designs with make up and have that creative gift. I studied for several weeks yet struggle with the concept of concealer lol.

Latest posts

Back