Help with payment!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BellaD

Reaction score
I have been having an issue with one of my clients and need help from you guys on what to do and what to say to her. I have known this client, D, for almost 10 years and up to this year I have considered her a good friend.

I have allowed her to post date checks, as well as given her a 50% discount on my services. (And given many services for free since she lost her job in June) due to other issues with her and feeling taken advantage of, I decided to try to salvage the business relationship and friendship. I told her in November that I could know longer give any discounts out as of the 1st of the year. She took it in stride and seemed ok with it. At that point she also owed me around $50 for previous services.

She came in on the 19th of December for color, cut, and nails. I did give her the discount as it wasn't January and her total was $100. She was also excited because she had just started a new temp job and that day was supposed to be her first payday. So she could pay me and then the next appt she could catch up with the other $50 she owed me. Tho she did say she wanted to double check that her paycheck was in the bank before I deposited it. I said ok. The next day she said it hadn't been deposited yet so to hold the check for a couple days so she could get it sorted out.

This is the last I had heard from her. I deposited the check just before the end of the year so I could get all my accounting stuff taken care of and my year end paperwork done. Today I got a letter from the bank that her $100 check was returned. She also booked an appointment for Friday at 4:45 for her nails again.
I texted her and told her "I got your last check for $100 back from the bank today :-(" She replied "I know. I never told you to put it in. They didn't get me my check until until last Thursday. I got charged 50 dollars." And "I realized I didn't call you and tell you I was fighting for my paycheck. I will have it all for you when I see you"

What do I do?

For starters I wouldn't get too wound up about it. It's been a long relationship, and although what she's done is not OK, you shouldn't let it get to you where it affects the way you handle your other customers.

I'd suggest that if she doesn't show up with cash on hand for her next appointment, then you'd say that unfortunately you won't be able to take her on as a client anymore. At some point you have to put your foot down. It's nice to make a friendly and caring gesture. But instead of spending theoretical money on getting her nails done, she should focus on getting a job. As a long time employer, I can tell you I not once hired someone because of their nails ;)

I also don't like the "I know, I never told you to put it in" response. It's almost like you even owe her something now too.

Good luck!

My dad who was quite a successful business man in his day taught me the most value lesson in business:

'Never mix business with pleasure'

If she comes in for her next apt get the money your owed up front in cash and payment for having nails done (in cash too)

Say to her in advance that to avoid her any more bank charges or embarrassment that you will only accept card or cash up front before commencing any treatment.

If she was a true friend or respected you at all she would not do this to you or take advantage of your kindness while she was unemployed.

I'm not too sure by reading this post what you're getting worked up about or really what the problem is.

You've given her discount, free services, and allowed post dated cheques for quite a while. You told her there will be no more moving forward into the new year. 19th Dec she has more discount, she then gives you a post dated cheque tells you to hang on until she gives you the all clear to bank. You bank regardless, it bounces. She contacts you for next appointment telling you she'll have money when she sees you and she's had trouble with her pay cheque and she also mentioned she never advised you to bank it. . ??? What is the problem???

I can't understand why other people commenting on this thread say 'it's not ok for the client to do this' 'she should respect you' ' get rid of her' etc...It was your decision to allow this in the first place. I can't, with your post as it is see anything untoward, crafty or any reason why this client shouldn't pay. Let us know.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
I had a disabled client who paid me via internet days after her treatment as she couldn't get out to get cash. This went on successfully for 3 years, until one day she decided not to pay. I threatened solicitors, she wrote me a nasty letter back (for solicitor to see). I learned a big lesson. Don't be kind, she was a Pita by nature, and I was glad to get rid of her at that small cost. Never again will I allow myself to do that. Big mistake, and don't make friends with them, there is a line not to be crossed.

I try not to be flexible with payments anymore, I did someone's hair on a sat and it was £80. She says she would bank transfer money then, as she always did. Checked my bank via app on Monday there was nothing there. I text her and asked, she told me she had paid and would contact her bank. Half hour later I get a text from her saying that she was sorry she replayed sat and forgot to pay, thing is she is short now, can she pay me £20 and the rest in a week?!
I was pretty angry but she did pay when she said and also gave extra. We've agreed cash only now lol

I'm probably too easy going, but then this is what comes when you don't need to live of the earnings... but I've never experienced anyone that doesn't really pay it's usually me saying 'oh don't worry about it' ..oppsssss.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks so much for your replies. I really needed an outside opinion on this. I tend to look at it somewhat emotionally, since she had become what I thought was a friend.

There is also some other back story as well, with her son's girlfriend not paying me full price for a service (She said "I was only able to save $50. I will give you the rest next week when i get paid") and D backing her, saying "I know she's good for it". Its been 3 months and I have not seen a dime. I have had my lawyers send her 2 letters and gotten no response. I have just written it off as a bad debt as its only $25.

That situation has somewhat soured me on being so "nice" in my business. That was when I had decided to stop discounting anyone except my immediate family, who all know to say they pay full price if asked. They are awesome and supportive and help me build my business, rather then expect a discount because they are a "friend" and don't have a lot of money.

I will let her keep her appointment on Friday on the hope that she will pay and all will be good. Does anyone have ideas on how to word a text reminding her that services will be at full price from now on since it is past the first of the year? Any wording I have come up with seems harsh.

Thanks so much. I have been lurking on this site for over a year (almost every day) I loved having a place to turn to to get a response from people who understand! You guys are amazing! I promise I will try to post more often and contribute to this awesome site.

are you mobile or salon based?
if salon you can print out a notice and have it by till/chip & pin machine, if mobile just remind her immediately before commencing treatment, personally i wouldnt re send a text when you have already spoken to her.

Be prepared to not provide service if she doesnt have the cash however.

I had a pal who I discounted but she caused more problems with constantly cancelling and rearranging her appointments. The last time she asked to have a treatment I told her the price she said she would get back to me, that was september now, not seen her since, so not that good a pal, as previously said business and friends dont mix.

these proverbs come from somewhere :)

Latest posts

Back