Help with pricing mobile hairdressing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H0llyd86

Reaction score
Evening everyone, ok so I'm mobile hairdressing but struggling to get clients as they contact me for prices, I let them know the prices and then I never hear back. I did message one client that I never heard back and she said it's because she found it cheaper, I asked the prices, ppl charging a tenner a cut??? Really? I really pride myself on taking the time on my clients hair,and I always put loads of foils in as I do clients hair as I'd expect mind to be done.
How can I advertise or word my ads so I can make ppl aware that I'm quality and not just a cheap option. I'm struggling to get the bookings because other hairdressers are so cheap. My cuts are £16 re growth £27
Full head £30 t-sec £35 half head £40 full head £45. I use top products too. I'm just getting frustrated. Please advise xxx

Don't drop your prices whatever you do, those are ideal prices for starting out mobile, word of mouth is the best option, ask all your current clients to refer 1 friend and give them a reward for doing it, I find new customers who message via fb are usually 1 timers after a deal, word of mouth customers are more genuine so ask your clients to do some work for you :)

Thankyou for your reply. You are right word of mouth is the best advertising, I have a couple that I'm doing next week from my ad on gumtree, so just hoping to wow them.
Going to start a Facebook page soon, but just trying to build up my photos first [emoji106] xxxxx

I started mobile in September, defiantly get a Facebook page n do competitions that's what I do. Also those prices your are charging say they are your introductory prices then once your name is out n about just say your normal prices are now....
My cut & style is from £20
Blowdry from £10
Dry cut from £8
Roots from £25
Full head from £40
Half head highlights from £42
Full head hl from £48.

Good luck xx

Thankyou, that's a good idea saying introductory prices, I'll definitely use that one. Will you tell me if my pics look ok, I always feel abit nervous about uploading pics [emoji16]
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1455830930.118052.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1455830949.000284.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1455830964.051892.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1455830984.703654.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1455831001.687810.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1455831016.756491.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1455831034.757181.jpg

They look lovely, do before n after pics too like on photo grid or something. It is a nervous this to work for yourself but believe me it's so worth it xx

I'll have a look at photo grid. Thankyou for your advice ninar [emoji3] xxxx

Evening everyone, ok so I'm mobile hairdressing but struggling to get clients as they contact me for prices, I let them know the prices and then I never hear back. I did message one client that I never heard back and she said it's because she found it cheaper, I asked the prices, ppl charging a tenner a cut??? Really? I really pride myself on taking the time on my clients hair,and I always put loads of foils in as I do clients hair as I'd expect mind to be done.
How can I advertise or word my ads so I can make ppl aware that I'm quality and not just a cheap option. I'm struggling to get the bookings because other hairdressers are so cheap. My cuts are £16 re growth £27
Full head £30 t-sec £35 half head £40 full head £45. I use top products too. I'm just getting frustrated. Please advise xxx

I'm not mobile but I feel your pain! Lots of girls local to me advertising £12 haircuts and £8 blow dries and foils for £25!!!! Ridiculous!! But I've told myself over and over not to drop mine. Def resist the temptation. Pics look fab btw!

I know it's just so frustrating isn't it! I'd find it hard to trust someone that is so cheap. I used to work in a good city salon and charge a lot so it's hard to go mobile charge a lot less but knowing your worth more.......if only they knew. Good luck and thanks for your reply xxx

I hardly ever put pics of my work up lol, I'm one of those that face palms the minuite they walk out the door! Dam I forgot a pic!... When you do get a page their rubbish for letting people actually see your posts so make sure you share on your profile too, your friends can see it then & interact with the pics posts etc :) unless you pay for boosting a page is useless at the mo, but still nessecary because Facebook will take your profile away if it thinks it's for business purposes, my way around it is to share the stuff I post on my page from my profile :)

Thankyou, that's a good idea saying introductory prices, I'll definitely use that one. Will you tell me if my pics look ok, I always feel abit nervous about uploading pics [emoji16]View attachment 194465View attachment 194466View attachment 194467View attachment 194468View attachment 194469View attachment 194470View attachment 194471

I would get clients to stand next to a bare wall in their house instead of having washing machines in the background. That's what I do so when people are looking at the pictures they are only seeing the hair, it looks more professional. I am a freelance stylist & I will not drop my prices as there are people out there willing to pay for quality work after all you need to make sure you are making a profit & charging for the time you spend one-on-one with the client that doesn't happen in a salon.

I honestly feel you on this one .. Your work looks brilliant just keep on pushing don't lower your prices you will attract the wrong kinda clients , clients looking for a bargain but they won't return.. Stay focused [emoji8]

Mabye also take pictures of all your certificates etc and also list all your experience and product lines and why you use them. Blow your own trumpet a bit. Also you could put captions under your pics for example. My client came to me for a consultation and after discussing her options we decided on this. Put like hair makeovers on (before and after) make it really professional and talk through why you did what you did. Mabye start and Instagram page of your work and link it to your facebook etc. Check out other hairdressers and how they do their insta. Don't obviously put your colour formulas on but pics of the hair with the foils in etc. Just show the quality that makes you stand out. I recently discovered a famous hair stylist and she has her clients come to her home and she also travels the world hairdressing. Don't let people think just because you work from home or mobile you should be the cheaper option. Xx

Yep I find people think because I'm mobile I should be cheap. Iv got 13 years behind me n I'm not going cheap. I had special offers on n Iv gained a lot of new clients through it, but I let them all know that the special offer was over. Iv got one client questioning me why her price has change n I explain it was special offer blah blah n her reply well Iv never paid that when I go to a salon. Well sorry I'm not changing my prices to suit you. Oh another one was im a single parent I cant afford that £35 at the time could you do a discount erm no sorry. Some people are so cheeky lol. But that's my experience so far doing mobile since September xx

Yep I find people think because I'm mobile I should be cheap. Iv got 13 years behind me n I'm not going cheap. I had special offers on n Iv gained a lot of new clients through it, but I let them all know that the special offer was over. Iv got one client questioning me why her price has change n I explain it was special offer blah blah n her reply well Iv never paid that when I go to a salon. Well sorry I'm not changing my prices to suit you. Oh another one was im a single parent I cant afford that £35 at the time could you do a discount erm no sorry. Some people are so cheeky lol. But that's my experience so far doing mobile since September xx

This is on reason why I'm not mobile. That and they can take the p more with time keeping as they don't always take your business as seriously

I find this unbelievable that some people are so rude!! I'm a mobile nail tech & beauty therapist (& have even for nearly 20 years!) & I can honestly say over the years the majority of my clients have been lovely, very very rarely does someone mention my prices, even when I put my prices up last year no one commented, although I do tell people in advance. I pride myself on quality treatments & my prices reflect that! I never look at the opposition & what their charging, I just do my own thing. My clients respect me & my professionalism. Honestly there are a lot of lovely clients out there!!

I am honestly thinking of working from home so they can come to me but as you say timekeeping or last min cancellations or not turning up. I had a client a few yr ago come to me for a full head colour and cut & blowdry when I finished she said oh Iv only got £5 on me, I was shocked I said well you owe me £30 n I did get it back. Or open my own salon is my dream. Another thing I'm not liking is people getting intouch with me late at night n if I don't reply I get ?????????? So annoying lol. X

It only takes one well worded text back to stop idiots texting question marks lol

Hi, I also price myself around the same band you are in, if not slightly more. The best advertisement is word of mouth. I have currently got a recommend a friend promo going on! So if they recommend a friend & their friend books an appointment with me I give them £5.00 off their next appointment and their friend will recieve 10% off me for giving me a chance. I have just spent quite a lot of money renovating one of my rooms to make it look really nice for everyone. My next mission is a proper salon chair! I am so passionate about what I do with their hair & I love to see that they love their hair when they leave me, so I'm the same as you, when I do their hair I take my time! I make them tea & coffee, etc. I also have a small packet of two biscuits to put on their saucer with their drinks, magazines in my room. I want them to feel as pampered as if they went to a salon. Show them that your worth spending that little extra on! Good luck hunni! X

Latest posts

Back