Help with re-booking clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funtimefranko

Reaction score
Hey so, a few things I guess.... I've been qualified for 6-7 years now, but haven't been hairdressing the whole time probably got about 4 years experience as a qualified hairdresser. Was wondering if anybody has any tips for rebooking clients? I'm in a really competitive salon so need as many clients coming back to me as possible.... I guess my problem is confidence, not just in my work but I lack confidence in myself altogether. Just like to hear other people's views and any advice etc I could get :) no bashing please! Thanks x

Would I bash?

We all find our own ways of getting clients to rebook. I employ my daughter who is now on commission so she re books like mad. She says would you like me to pop your next appointment in? "
I say "shall I book you in for your next appointment? ". We both use the same intonation every time lol.
I have clients that I KNOW will rebook and clients that will fly by the seat of their pants every time.
If the client seems pleased, assume that they're happy. I like to be reminded to rebook when I go to the hairdressers or I forget and then panic!

Remember that they have the choice to say no. If they don't want to book then and there, give then a card and say "If you want to come back and see me, my name is Marie. Here's my card. It was lovely to meet you today".
It sounds like you actually care.

Vicki x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Lol thanks, I do do all of that some people just seem to be so much better at it then me.... Maybe I am rubbish lol (there goes the confidence thing again) haha

Hiya i would advise you book yourself on some refresher courses, even just a few with capital hair and beauty or salon services and go in some workshop days, just to help refresh all your memory and be able to gain you a bit if confidence again, also get all your friends together and friends of friends and do some free haircuts and some colour(charge low) again just to get you back into the swing of it and from there so as above poster said get some cards made up and start giving them out, it's going to be stressful on you at first and you will be feeling anxious etc but I promise once you keep going you will eventually feel confident, and also there is salon geek where you have all these lovely geeks always willing to give opinions on maybe colour choices etc and we will all help you along the way :) good luck xx

You can also go on an assertiveness course which may help or some therapy for low self esteem.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Get some loyalty cards printed with your name/number/logo etc on one side and then stamp boxes on the other side. Do something like every time you come you get a stamp, on your 5th time you get £5 off and on your 10th time you get £10 off (or a product - or whatever!) then when the client leaves say 'here's your loyalty card so WHEN you rebook you will get another stamp and then you'll get XYZ on X visit. People love a freebie! X

This is just something that takes time and being repeated for you to feel comfortable. The same as talking to your client about home hair care.

When you're at the front desk taking payment it should be automatic to ask if they'd like to make their next appointment. I just say "would you like to book your next appointment?". Most people mean to and forget, so it's a friendly reminder for those clients who done have their next four appointments sorted already. I also make it ok for my clients to not rebook with a friendly smile I say "That's ok, here's my card so you have our number when you're ready"

These habits should also apply to selling retail. I make a habit when I use products to sit the bottle on the bench in front of them. I tell them what it is, why I'm using it and the finish it will give to the hair. I say nothing about them buying it or why they should have it at home. I relate it all back to what I am doing with their hair. Then they have a chance to ask questions and smell it etc. I sell a lot of retail this way.

Rebooking, upselling, and selling retail are a huge part of earning good money and ensuring your future business. Don't think of it as pestering your client - and don't approach any of these things from the perspective of making a sale or improving statistics. It's about caring for your client and their needs.

I hope that helps.
Cass xx

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

You clearly are capable if you are employed. .. id be looking more into self help like manifestation and power of the mind type thing and also the tips the others are great :) x

I never ask any of my clients if they WANT to rebook. If you ask a yes or no question they have the option of saying no ;). When we walk over to pay I get out the appointment book and say "okay, xx weeks from today brings us up to the xx of July. I'm available on wednesday at 11 or Friday at 1, which time is best for you?"

I wasnt always so confident, it really does take a bit of getting used to. I used to feel silly at first, I thought people would laugh and refuse to make another appointment but start trying it out. It really does work.

I ensure they rebook by saying
"Ok so I will book you in in 6 weeks for your maintainance, is Tuesday usually a good day for you ( or whatever day it is)?"
Don't wait for them to suggest rebooking, advising clients on aftercare and the need to rebook at certain intervals is part of your aftercare. I have a 92% rebook rate. I often book 2 in advance

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

At the end of every service I always say to clients "would you like to re-book your next appointment". Sometimes they say "yeah go on then might aswell". If you don't say it they will forget. I sometimes persuade them by saying if you book it in then you know your organised and don't have to worry about it lol I'm lucky as most of my clients re-book every 4-6 weeks x

Ask them with a question that they can't say yes or no too

For example if you say "would you like to book your next one" they can say no... Whereas if you say "when would you like to come back?" They can't answer yes or no they have to start their reply with something else- hopefully saying 6 weeks time please!

When I'm cutting the hair I always try and give it an expirie date. I say things like so when it's grown out in six weeks or when your next in. Always be aiming for something. Say things like next time we can try... New products new style new colour. That way they are already thinking about their next appointment.

I also say things like I'm getting pretty booked up in around 6 weeks time when your next due in because I'm going away or it's half or discount days coming. There will always be a reason to tell them your getting booked up to encourage them to book so they are not disappointed when they can't get in. Tell them you like to make sure your loyal / special / nicest clients get an appointment before new clients

To all of my clients that rebook for 6 weeks (not a day over) I give them 20% of their cuts. This is an incentive, people love to save a bit of money.

Be excited about when they are next in. Tell them you can't wait to here all about their holiday/wedding what ever it was they were telling you about.

When you get to the till they are asking when u can get them in before you have to ask them.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back