help with rebalance

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DONZIE

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am doing a rebalance tonight on a client and am a little confused as to which abrasives I should be using. I have read the tutorial from Geeg and she says to use a 180/240, using the 180 on the main part of the nail and then the 240 when you get close to the cuticle. I think at Creative I was taught to use the hotshot which is 100/180 so now I'm confused!!
I usually use the black velvet to shape the natural nail and to shape the sidewalls and free edge on a rebalance. I then thin the whole product with the rough side of the hotshot (100 grit) then I use the soft side of the hotshot (240) to blend near the cuticle. Is this all ok or am I doing something wrong? Then when blending new product I only use the soft side of the hotshot.
Any help that anyone could give me today would be much appreciated as I'm now feeling quite nervous about doing my rebalance tonight although I have done it the way I have described above before and the nails always turn out fine
Donna

Hi Donna,

I always use a 180/240 abrasive for rebalances (Brand New) using the 180 to do most of the thinning and then using the 240 as I get closer to the natural nail, nothing lower than a 240 should ever be used on the natural nail! (you probably know this!)

I find the 180 to be sufficient for most of the filing so I don't use a 100 so couldn't comment if that's ok, Geeg also suggests a 180/240 in her tutorial on rebalances so I would tend to follow her advice!

Thank you very much for that! I'm a little confused as to which abrasive you and the Geeg are talking about that is 180/240 because the hotshot ones we were told to use on the course are shown on the Designer nails website as being 100/180. which ones do you use that give you 180/240 then? Thanks for your help on this.
Donna

Donna,

as long as you are very careful when working round the cuticle area of your product with your 180 side of the hotshot then you should be ok - but be very careful not to touch the natural nail with your file.

Once you have used the files you have and need to buy more then you might like to look at the Tuxedo board - they are 180/240 - so one file will do more than one job LOL.

That's very helpful Fiona, thank you so much!

DONZIE said:
Thank you very much for that! I'm a little confused as to which abrasive you and the Geeg are talking about that is 180/240 because the hotshot ones we were told to use on the course are shown on the Designer nails website as being 100/180. which ones do you use that give you 180/240 then? Thanks for your help on this.
Donna
I use the Tuxedo Board but before that I used the Star Zebra 180 grit and the Star Black Foam 240 grit, but find it much easier with one board! :)

can you use the Tuxedo for everything then i.e. for shaping the natural nail, shaping,blending and shaping product?

Latest posts

Back