Helping hand needed from hair geeks pleeeeese

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collin

the original not the fake
Premium Geek
Reaction score
So the silver fox isn't quiet silver these days......the salt/pepper colouring(well more salt these days than pepper :eek:) has a tinge of green.

I am aware where this problem is emanating from as we do have well water which has a high PH and mineral level however despite installing an array of filtering gizmo's designed specifically to level things out im still suffering from a tinge of green which can get somewhat embarrassing walking around the fruit and veg section of Tesco's :eek:

In fact the other week some old lady came up to me and said...how much for that lovely looking green cabbage stuck on your head...cheeky mare :smack:

It does seem our filters have considerably helped the situation and rather than looking like the incredible hulk these days im more of a watered down jolly green giant :lol:

The help im seeking from you pros is two things

1) what can I use to remove the green tinge...Ive been told of an old wives tale of massaging in tomato ketchup into the hair ...however I really dont relish the thought of sitting there for a couple of hrs whilst Britta dunks her chips into my hair. :eek:

2) is there anything you can recommend that I can apply to my hair when I wash it that could go some way to sealing the grey hairs (as I believe grey hair acts like a sponge) so as to further possibly assist the situation

Any advice would be most gratefully appreciated :hug:

So the silver fox isn't quiet silver these days......the salt/pepper colouring(well more salt these days than pepper :eek:) has a tinge of green.

I am aware where this problem is emanating from as we do have well water which has a high PH and mineral level however despite installing an array of filtering gizmo's designed specifically to level things out im still suffering from a tinge of green which can get somewhat embarrassing walking around the fruit and veg section of Tesco's :eek:

In fact the other week some old lady came up to me and said...how much for that lovely looking green cabbage stuck on your head...cheeky mare :smack:

It does seem our filters have considerably helped the situation and rather than looking like the incredible hulk these days im more of a watered down jolly green giant :lol:

The help im seeking from you pros is two things

1) what can I use to remove the green tinge...Ive been told of an old wives tale of massaging in tomato ketchup into the hair ...however I really dont relish the thought of sitting there for a couple of hrs whilst Britta dunks her chips into my hair. :eek:

2) is there anything you can recommend that I can apply to my hair when I wash it that could go some way to sealing the grey hairs (as I believe grey hair acts like a sponge) so as to further possibly assist the situation

Any advice would be most gratefully appreciated :hug:

Bicarbonative soda will help , mixed together with a little water and a clear or clarifying shampoo ,
Persianista was saying Loreal have now brought out a Bicarb clarifying shampoo
also there was a post a short while ago about this , :)
Tomato ketchup was mentioned too , I think you would have to rinse your hair in bottled water afterward though ,
perhaps try a nice silverising shampoo too :hug:

Bicarbonative soda will help , mixed together with a little water and a clear or clarifying shampoo ,
Persianista was saying Loreal have now brought out a Bicarb clarifying shampoo
also there was a post a short while ago about this , :)
Tomato ketchup was mentioned too , I think you would have to rinse your hair in bottled water afterward though ,
perhaps try a nice silverising shampoo too :hug:

thanks sooooo much...will see if that works :hug:

Seriously, Ketchup is the answer. Leave it on half an hour.
Look out for pureology purifying shampoo and use it as your everyday shampoo.

Seriously, Ketchup is the answer. Leave it on half an hour.
Look out for pureology purifying shampoo and use it as your everyday shampoo.
Thank you will give that a try...:hug:

.tell me does brown sauce also work cos I much prefer that on me chips than tomato sauce :eek::lol::hug:

Thank you will give that a try...:hug:

.tell me does brown sauce also work cos I much prefer that on me chips than tomato sauce :eek::lol::hug:

Getting a bit saucy now :lol: actually it may work as brown sauce it has tomatoes and fruit acids in it too,
but.... as it is brown and has a lot more spices in it .... your beautiful silver locks may absorb some of the brown colour
but.... you could do a test piece first :lol::lol:

A brown sauce man hey ? home made ones or from the chippy ?

Getting a bit saucy now :lol: actually it may work as brown sauce it has tomatoes and fruit acids in it too,
but.... as it is brown and has a lot more spices in it .... your beautiful silver locks may absorb some of the brown colour
but.... you could do a test piece first :lol::lol:

A brown sauce man hey ? home made ones or from the chippy ?

Definitely got to be home made ones and the bigger the better wrapped in some fresh white bread and butter with a dash of brown sauce...luvley jubbley :green:

Anyhoos back to the point im guessing if brown sauce can strip a penny clean and make it shiny as new....well must be worth a shot :eek::)

Definitely got to be home made ones and the bigger the better wrapped in some fresh white bread and butter with a dash of brown sauce...luvley jubbley :green:

Anyhoos back to the point im guessing if brown sauce can strip a penny clean and make it shiny as new....well must be worth a shot :eek::)

Tee hee lol :lol: Collin , I would use the recommended Tomato sauce treatment as this has been known to work well on green chemical residues,
but if your going to have a go with the brown stuff then make sure you do those test pieces first! on your own head be it :eek: :smack: :lol:

If you haven't got any tomato sauce you could try a dissolved aspirin :)

If you haven't got any tomato sauce you could try a dissolved aspirin :)

wow thanks...who would have thought....so whats in the aspirin that does the trick???

Well I'm certainly no scientist!!
But I believe its something to do with whatever is turning your hair green is alkali and the aspirin is acid. (but please don't take my word for this!)
So also the same reason for the tomato sauce (acid).
By the way I have never actually tried the aspirin trick (I have dark brown hair)
but I have mentioned it to clients experiencing the same thing as you and they have had good results.
Let us know how you get on x x

Well I'm certainly no scientist!!
But I believe its something to do with whatever is turning your hair green is alkali and the aspirin is acid. (but please don't take my word for this!)
So also the same reason for the tomato sauce (acid).
By the way I have never actually tried the aspirin trick (I have dark brown hair)
but I have mentioned it to clients experiencing the same thing as you and they have had good results.
Let us know how you get on x x

Thanks for that..will definitely try it.
Ok so what do I do...I assume I dont swallow the aspirin..as dont have a headache :eek::)

Im guessing dilute in some warm water and rub into hair and leave it for half an hr before rinsing off??

Yeh, probably 15 mins will be long enough, rinse then shampoo and conditioner.
If that doesn't work try tomato sauce
If that doesn't work try brown sauce
If that doesn't work eat some chips with brown/tomato sauce
IF THAT DOESN'T WORK TAKE THE ASPIRIN FOR YOUR HEADACHE! :eek:

Yeh, probably 15 mins will be long enough, rinse then shampoo and conditioner.
If that doesn't work try tomato sauce
If that doesn't work try brown sauce
If that doesn't work eat some chips with brown/tomato sauce
IF THAT DOESN'T WORK TAKE THE ASPIRIN FOR YOUR HEADACHE! :eek:

LOL will do :hug:

Latest posts

Back