Here we go again! Customer not listening to aftercare..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairbykatie

Reaction score
Hi all,

well i've visited a girl tonight to do her maintainence and she has completed matted her hair below the bonds.

she has been going to bed with the hair wet and it has just matted and matted, i tried to comb it out and even remove the bonds to make it easier.

the hair is tangled very close to her head, and i have no idea what to do, if it needed to be cut off she would lose a lot of hair.

i don't understand why clients just don't read or listen to the aftercare, i told her to read it on my website, where it tells you to dry the hair and tie it up before bed.

what can i do with it?

Hi katie , I forget now .... if you are a hairdesser or not ...
but if you are going to cut them out you will need all your skills , especially for afterwards for tiyding it all back up as it will involve cutting into her own natural hair as well as the extensions so it could be very uneven,

if you are not a hairdresser I don't think you should attempt to cut them out for her , I would advise her to go to a hairdressers ,

but if she wants you to go ahead
It would be wise to get a permission slip made out by yourself first before putting the scissors near her hair

eg........
write everything down that she has done wrong stating that the client now wishes to have her extensions cut out due to her own fault,
(if you are not qualified in hairdressing state that also)
and that you have made the client fully aware and that some of the natural hair may be sliced into and cut during the cutting and removal of the extensions which cannot be helped and the client still wishes to go ahead with the procedure

(words to that effect)

then ask her to sign it if she wants them cut out by you ,
also put the date full name and addy phone number
and her usual full signature

good luck :hug:
let us know how you go on

I did my friends extensions and hers were the same, when it was time to take them out it was scary!!
I covered her whole head in conditioner and left for half a hour, broke down the bonds with hair pliers and glue remover. It took a long time but once all the glue were out i managed to get the matted bits out in time.
I think the bonds make it harder to brush out the mess because you cant get the comb right through. I wouldnt cut the hair off unless it was last ressort.

Hi girls,

no i'm not a hair dresser, just trained in doing the hair extensions, i would have to recommend that she goes to a hair dresser if she needs to get it cut.

she didn't seem too bothered but i am panicking like mad! when i saw her last night i tried for an hour to sort it out when she just said oh just leave it - we can get it out at removal and she'll just keep loosening it in the meantime. i don't think she realises how bad it actually is!

i charge £25 per hour for removal so i will have to warn her that it might cost her a lot unless she can get a the majority of it out herself.

Hi

I have had one hair salon tangle my extensions in the back wash after doing my roots- i had to remove the majority of them & spend nearly 6 hours with my boyfriend combing the tangle out strand by stand but it did come out eventually.. I agree cutting is a last resort & i don't really see it as being necessary

I also had a client with matted roots the other day & i removed a large section at the back- combed the knots & trapped hair out and re applied the extensions

How long has she actually had them in for & what hair are you using? My own extensions never get matted & i have to admit i occassionally do things like sleep on it wet!

Jane

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, its not the extensions that are matted, they still look great! Its the actual roots of her own hair, she has had them in 6 weeks now, thats all. She said she noticed the knots after sleeping on it wet one night, but then continued to do it.

Hi all,
well i've visited a girl tonight to do her maintainence and she has completed matted her hair below the bonds.

Hi,
its not the extensions that are matted, they still look great! Its the actual roots of her own hair,

Oh a misunderstanding here! :eek: sorry, I thought you meant the hair extensions have matted up into her hair as well ,

I have seen certain types of extension hair matt itself up into a tight ball and there is no other way of getting them out,
honestly...until you have seen it happen and felt the actual hair ball , you just wouldn't believe it could ever get that matted :eek: and cutting is the only way to get tightly matted hair balls out,

but as this is not the case.... it won't be needing such drastic action,

So it's just the root area tangling then ?

if so then this isn't as bad as what was first thought :hug:
do you think she been brushing or combing the extensions far too harshly ? (you will see lots of looping at the tops if thats the case)

let us know how you get on :)

Hi Minky,

She has been sleeping on her hair wet, quite frequently by the sounds of it, even when she had noticed it was starting to mat she continued to do it! The matting is at the back of her head just below the crown, when your head would rub against the pillow when you sleep.

The roots of her hair feel like a solid piece of hair now, not just the roots or the bonds overlapping.

I have had to untangle extensions before but as this is her own hair I don't know what to do.

She hasn't contacted me again yet, I honestly don't think she realises how bad it is. When I visited she was blaze about it and said oh just leave it then etc etc

I have decided that I will just explain to her that for me to remove it it will take a long time and I charge £25 per hour for removal so it might be better for her to get as much out as possible before I come (the knot that is, not the extensions)

Hi Katie, I had a client like this where it was pretty badly matted at the top of the bonds ,
I think hers was due to having naturally curly hair and tiny new hair growth wrapped itself around the tops of the maintenence bits
(looked and felt like a small dreadlock ) plus she never had any maintenence at all which made the tangling even worse :irked:
it was an awful job and it took me hours to remove the bonds and tatts ,
the only thing I would reccomend is to get the offending ones out as soon as you can as it will just get an awful lot worse the longer its left and will make it near impossible to get them out without damaging the hair,

If you use an acetone based remover
you could use the usual remover but with a very tiny amount of water added to it ,
but do check the bottle first as some removers already have it in as aqua ,

also an acetone based remover that contains some conditioning agents helps them slide out a bit more easily (but it has to be acetone based)

also ask her to leave her hair as greasy as possible so they slide out better
too,

this is all her own fault for sleeping on damp hair ,
so just do what you have to do and charge her accordingly
hopefully she will look after them a lot better next time :)

Hi Minky,

The bonds I have used are micro ring so should be easier to remove, its just the matting i'm worried about.

She was a fussy customer from the beginning and even had her protective boyfriend (who paid for her) with her all the time, when i did the fitting, when i visited before, like he won't let her do it alone or something? I think she'll be a bit put out that she'll have to pay a lot at the removal, or more like he will.

So when you squeeze the micro ring open and take the stick hair out
is there gonna be a big hard knotty bits left wrapped around the top of the root areas at the back because she couldnt be bothered drying them off before she went to sleep ?
so she just left them damp and slept on them which caused it to matt and tangle ?... unbelievable :eek:
these are going to take forever to comb out of her natural hair
and as a last resort you may have to hold on to the natural strand of hair that was in the micro ring the best you can and carefully snip into the hair ball a tiny bit at a time ...
but I'll bet they are all flipping well tangled and joined together side by side like steel wool ?
If only she would have listened to your advice and followed the aftercare leaflet , this would never have happened in the first place,
do you think you should let her know in a polite text message about how much the removal fee may be ? just so theres no surprises
and you will know if she still wants to go ahead with it :hug: x minky

Yes thats right, when I take the extension out the roots are still matted, exactly like steel wool now you come to say it!

Like I say, she didn't seem bothered! When I left I had loosed it a bit but I told her she would have to keep trying to get it out otherwise it would take me forever. I think she could tell from my reaction that she had done something very wrong, I remember her asking at consultation if she could sleep with them wet and I said no no no they will tangle and the hair will become damaged and possibly smell damp. Funnily enough the hair and the whole look of the extensions looks gorgeous, its just underneath that you find the monster matting!

The client has to understand the full implications her mistreatment of her extensions has caused. She also needs to be told the options she has to fix her self inflicted problem. The price and the time has to be made clear however cutting the natural hair must be avioided at all costs. A good extensionist can remove their own extensions with little damage.

This is a real issue with extensions. The qualifed stylist/extensionist applies the extensions provides all the information possible in verbal advice and leaflets and still the advice is not followed. You need to protect yourself legally by creating a concent and agreement form. This form should include all advice followed by a clear statement that states if the client does not follow this then they accept full responsiblity for the extensions. The form must be signed and dated before the extensions are applied. You have to protect yourself against clients who dont want to follow your professional advice. Stress, time and professional reputation can all be affected when you have a client whom mistreats there extensions and believes it is your fault.

Hi, Katie just to clear up any misunderstandings about what hair I was talking about to snip off
which I am pretty sure you know what I mean lol x...not to snip off any hair that is still growing out from her head :hug: lol x

but just incase I may have confused anyone else ....

just to clarify...
when I say to very carefully snip off the matted bits of hair I actually mean any old surplus matted loose hair and hair that is not attached to her head

I am talking about old hair that has fallen out and matted and wrapped itself around the root area a bit like the hair that you would snip off when we do maintenence....thats why I mentioned holding on to the natural hair ,

I don't mean snip off or into any of her natural hair at all especially any hair that is still attached to her head ...wouldn't want anyone doing that

hope that made sense :hug: x minky

Hello

Hope you sorted the issues out!

I did have one friend who also treated her extensions very badly (she had bleached natural hair). They still managed to remove the matting..

I wouldnt worry, if you charge per hour & you let her know this- and that it will be a very slow process i am sure you will be able to remove it through gentle combing. She will have to spend a lot as it will take hours but at least you will do it properly rather than her dragging the comb through it & resulting it very damaged hair!

Good Luck

Jane

Latest posts

Back