Hi can I get a bit of advice please? I have performed a colour correction on a client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coco85

Reaction score
Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ok

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

And....

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Coco85 you need to post your actual question with as much detail as possible to help our Hair Geeks know what to advise you to do.
The Title of a thread is just that a Title, where you give a guide as to your topic...I.E. " Help with colour correction please"

Then your question can be asked in the box below.

I am sure you will soon get the hang if this site, and even find your fellows geeks humour amusing :rolleyes:

lol I see that now. I have colour bathed the clients hair twice now and have lifted it from black to a base 8 it was really warm but have toned it using 9/16. This was only 3 days ago but she wants me back again to try and lift it more as she wants her hair white/silver. Is the hair possibly stained and maybe never going to lift to white? And would any of u guys attempt another colour bath so soon?

lol I see that now. I have colour bathed the clients hair twice now and have lifted it from black to a base 8 it was really warm but have toned it using 9/16. This was only 3 days ago but she wants me back again to try and lift it more as she wants her hair white/silver. Is the hair possibly stained and maybe never going to lift to white? And would any of u guys attempt another colour bath so soon?

Ok,

So what did you use to lift it first ?

Why did you tone with a 9/16 when she was a base 8?

What's the condition of her hair like?

She had attempted to lighten the hair herself with xxl blonde and had ginger roots anf a few patchy bits thru the hair. I'm not long qualified so went into hair and beauty world for advice and they told me to use colour touch 9/16 to cancel the warm tones. I used prelightner with 9% on the mid lengths and ends but it didn't really lift so went back in with 12% (didn't go near her scalp) and it lifted to about the same as her root. Toned the full head and it's nice and even now but she wants to go lighter! Help!

Her hair was fine after the 9% but after the 12% it started feeling quite rough and damaged. I've told her she needs to leave it alone for at least 6 weeks and also she will need conditioning treatments

To be honest hair doesn't self repair so she would need to be doing something to reconstruct it before you next colour it.

Because of the high volumes of peroxide you have used you have limited what you can do as a repeat process. Ideally you should have used 3/6% bleach, lift slower, less damage therefore able to recolour. I'm not surprised it felt rough after using 12%, it's against manufacturers instructions and really isn't need. You could have ended up in a sticky situation with a lot of damage.

9/16 is a great toner on a light blonde, I'm guessing her hair was quite warm after the bleaching? If you lifted to an 8 then you tone with an 8.

Rather than bleach bathing you need to do a full head bleach, I recommend 3%, but only if the condition of the hair can take it.

Sorry not to be picky but colour bathing means something else, you mean a bleach bath, which could be called nicer things like corrective shampoo, blonde wash, cleansing wash etc :)

Her hair was fine after the 9% but after the 12% it started feeling quite rough and damaged. I've told her she needs to leave it alone for at least 6 weeks and also she will need conditioning treatments

I wudnt use 12%. Not worth the damage. Also it's not ideal to go from black to white/silver in short space of time, Infact if someone come to me with blk hair n said they want to be white I wudnt Evan do it. n no don't do 3 bleach baths no way.

I told her that after I used the 9% and also that her hair needs 2 repair so leave it 6 weeks but she was adament I go back in with 12%. Explained the hair could end up falling out and wouldn't advise 12% but even her mum was pushing for it as she ia only 18 so I got them to sign a bit paper saying I wasn't liable for any damage as I had advised against it.
I did advise her she should have got a ful head of highlights and gradually built it up. Should I stand my ground and tell her that I can't perform any further bleach bath services for 6 weeks and then tell her she should go for a full head highlights with 6%? I dis advise her she would need conditioning treatments to repair the hair

I told her that after I used the 9% and also that her hair needs 2 repair so leave it 6 weeks but she was adament I go back in with 12%.

At this point you have to say "I am the professional, I am not willing to perform this service that you are looking for"

Sorry I replied with another thread in mind, am editing this one to help you, sorry!

Black to a base 8, you have done well. But you need to do a really thorough consultation to understand what your client wants and expects, compared to what you feel you can achieve.

What did you tell her the result would be? If she was black and she wants it silver...that's a major major change and it will take a long process. You need to under promise and over deliver. If a client started trying to tell me how to do their hair, I would have to put my foot down and say no. You are the expert, not them!

I'm not sure what you both think will happen in 6 weeks, if the hair is damaged then it's damaged.

I never let a client dictate to me, they don't know the implications of using 12% on the hair.

As for a disclaimer, you've basically put in writing that you carried out a service that's unsuitable for a client. IF anything did happen there is evidence that you broke manufacturers instructions and proceeded with the service.

You really have to put this one down to lack of experience. You should not have taken on such a coloyr correction not knowing what you were doing. Im affraid after the cocktail of chemicals you have used on this clients hair if you use anymore you could find yourself in real trouble. A disclaimer does not stand up in court, as stated above you have more or less admitted the process should not gave been carried out.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

I explained to her right from the start that it wouldn't be possible and it would probably take a good 6 months to a year to achieve this. I made it very clear that she would need to get there in stages but she is still expecting better results. Thanks for all the help guys her hair is a nice even colour and is by far lighter than I explained it probably would be but she's still not happy so from the advice u have all given I'm just going to walk away

what she needs now is back to back highlights or balayage. But cannot do it because the hair is just too overprocessed like previous comments stated.

Its too bad some clients like this don't understand it takes time. I've been working with a dark base client since last July.

And I know a lot of stylists are hardcore about protein. Some hair is protein sensitive. Too much protein on some hair will make it snap off.

Last edited:
Hiya chick youve done very well to get the result you have even using 12%.
In the years ive been haordressing ive never used 12% and bleach and it simply isnt needed. The saying goes "low and slow"
So use a low peroxide and develop slowly. Some cases 45min some 1 hour depending on manufacturers instructions.
I myself when i was a newly qualifed hairdresser tried to take on massive colour correction jobs wen i had little or no knowladge. I felt confident after a few theory lessons and tried to take on the world!!
Colouring hair is a complex and scientific process which take years of experience to understand. Even now i still have to refer to my colour wheel or undertone chart to reboot my mind. I am telling you this as i wish someone told me when i first qualifed to simply build your speed up, learn your colour wheel, stick to root tints, full head colours and the simpler side of colouring untill you feel 100% confident to take on a black to blonde colouring correction.
Also take what SOME employees in the wholesalers say with a pinch of salt as sometimes they are not qual hairdressers. Well thats the score in my whole salers anyway some of the advise ive heard them give to other hairdressers has made me cringe.
Please use the search thread on here and search "colour correction" "colour science" "colour theory" there are some extremely talented colour technictions on salon geek who amazingly take time out of there own busy schedules to advise and start threads to help us out. Use salon geek to its full advantage.

Back to your colour correction i would simply tell the client you have more than fulfilled your obligation to lift the hair to a lighter colour and any more lightening will result in hair loss or extremely damaged "gummy" hair and you are not willing to carry out any more lightening services. Then retail her a conditioning treatment for her to use once a week. Untill her hair feels nice again.

Good luck with the process of understanding colour. Its amazing once it all clicks into place xxx

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

What a great reply I really appreciate it and u weren't being patronising in the least which makes it easier to ask for advice. I know I took on more than I could chew but thought I might gain some clients through it but her mum made it clear she would be doing the upkeep and that made me think twice lol. I'm going back to do mh level 3 in September and in the mean time I think I'll just stick to the basics lol

Latest posts

Back