Hi geeks. A quick and most probably dumb question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerriequinton01

Reaction score
hi geeks. a quick and most prob dum question but can you use o.p.i polish over any gel enhancements?
i use gelish as a natural nail gel polish,but need somethink for enhancements so was just thinking of getting a polish?,have tryed doing some research but dont seem to be doing so well lol

You can use any polish over enhancements.

Yep you can use any 😁

thanks,didnt know if mixing products would make the gel underneath lift? but thats great then...thinking of getting o.p.i?recommend?.. :)
thanks geeks x

I use opi and I love it , it's amazing 👍

so im trying out nsi balance atm,if i did clear tips...gel etc...then put o.p.i colourx2over top...would it be ok to put glaz n go (top coat) over the top or would i have to use o.p.i top coat? thanks guys.vat free day at salon services next week...can see my self spending alot of money LOL :) xx

I wouldn't put glaze n go over a polish, I'd use either opi topcoat or lumos topcoat

thanks,didnt know if mixing products would make the gel underneath lift? but thats great then...thinking of getting o.p.i?recommend?.. :)
thanks geeks x
Just for future reference...

Putting anything over a fully cured product is not mixing systems - it's why you can infill l&p with gel and vice versa. It's when you use one product from one line and second product from another line, for example retention + liquid and NSI powder.

You can use NSI Airshield over polish that is on top of enhancements. Similar to a gel finish. Or Lumos, as said above. Do not use Glaze n Go on a fully painted nail as it will lift.

Both Airshield and Lumos air dry.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

...and no question is a stupid question!!! ;)

Have you thought about putting gelish over your enhancements?

Don't forget to think about what is going to be more profitable. It's not clear if you mean OPI nail polish or their gel polish. You will make more money using gel polish over NSI. You would charge for the enhancement and then extra for gel polish. I think you will still need nail polish for those that won't pay extra. Decide what gel polish or Shellac you will be using then use that's brands regular nail polish. That way you will have matching polish for thier toes and can sell them the regular nail polish to take home. Try and have a business mindset when you make any decisions regarding products. …or anything else! Have fun:)

thanks for your replyed guys :) i would love to just stay with gelish, but gelish is a natural nail gel,and i thought it wasnt suitable or strong enough for enhancements?(tips). so needed a nice polish ie( nail varnish) for people that want coloured enhancements.as using nsi for for white tips,and gelish for colour.or is there something im missing an you can use gelish for enhancements ??l :) love gelish colours :) xx

I think what was meant was you can use gelish over your finished nsi enhancements, you just have to buff the gelish off and not soak. You would do the gelish after buffing and not on top of any topcoat.

Also nsi balance gels come in colours and glitters which can be used when making enhancements and can be used over your enhancements like a polish then finished with glaze n go, you can also add glitter to the clear builder gel and make customs hard glitters, for tips and art :)

I think what was meant was you can use gelish over your finished nsi enhancements, you just have to buff the gelish off and not soak. You would do the gelish after buffing and not on top of any topcoat.

Also nsi balance gels come in colours and glitters which can be used when making enhancements and can be used over your enhancements like a polish then finished with glaze n go, you can also add glitter to the clear builder gel and make customs hard glitters, for tips and art :)

really? i didnt know that you could put gelish over ANY other brand enhancements. thank you for that! that makes its alot easyer as i can stick to gelish :) .so just cleanse when finish then gelish,then gelish tio?
thats made my day! thank you :)

Yep that's right, just don't buff your finished enhancement to a shine finish instead finish with a 180 then gelish over.

I have often done nsi balance enhancement and put shellac over, infact I have shellac on my overlays at the moment, just make sure you have a hit longer for your infill app as you need the extra time to buff of the gelish :)

I use Gelish and Young Nails Synergy. I'm not familiar with NSI so correct me if I'm wrong.

Build the nail with the NSI, curing as recommended.
Do a final file and shaping
Do not use the Top Gloss
Apply Gelish, do not use Foundation
Cure
2nd coat of Gelish, cure.
Top it off, cure.

You're correct in that Gelish isn't strong enough to build a nail enhancement. Just think of it as color. You can put color on the natural nail or any nail enhancement. An enhancement is building a longer nail than the client has. A natural nail overlay -NNO - is when you cover the natural nail with gel to make it stronger. HTH

I use Gelish and Young Nails Synergy. I'm not familiar with NSI so correct me if I'm wrong.

Build the nail with the NSI, curing as recommended.
Do a final file and shaping
Do not use the Top Gloss
Apply Gelish, do not use Foundation
Cure
2nd coat of Gelish, cure.
Top it off, cure.

You're correct in that Gelish isn't strong enough to build a nail enhancement. Just think of it as color. You can put color on the natural nail or any nail enhancement. An enhancement is building a longer nail than the client has. A natural nail overlay -NNO - is when you cover the natural nail with gel to make it stronger. HTH

Yep that's right :)

that has been very helpful.thank you very much.now just want to get more gelish colours.bring on vat free day at salon services on thursday :)
thanks again :)

Just want to clarify the Gelish removal when applied over NSI.
When it's time to infill your gel, file off the Gelish color. Then proceed with your infill procedure as normal.
Do not file off Gelish on a natural nail, soak it off.

Remember you charge more for Gelish when used over enhancements. It is a second service. Normally, you don't charge the full price of a Gelish service when added to gel enhancements. 10 to 20 more. A great up sell to earn you more money. Usually if you use regular nail polish -RNP- you don't charge extra. Work smarter not harder.

Thanks for the backup Maz101 :)

Latest posts

Back