Hi... I'm Tinxy and I'm one of the "horrid" one day coursers! :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once I did my courses, I then practiced like mad, watched numerous videos, trawled this fantastic site, and educated myself. Education is an ongoing thing, or at least it should be.

Nail. Head. Hit. :)

I did and do the same :) If someone mentions a technique on here that isn't familiar I google it and then watch every YouTube video on it I can before deciding on if I should adjust, re-learn or ignore...

In business it's known as Ongoing development :) Most reputable companies even have an ongoing development plan as part of the employees reviews and career plan :) we merely set our own :)

I would say most situations are down to the individual. I done a 2yr nvq plus the bio sculpture course which is pretty much two days! Some things i picked up quick other things i didnt, If your good at your job and practice loads so you are at your highest standard thats great, 2 days or two years its down to your own standard ect!
I dont think people buying gels off ebay and doing it is great as they dont really know what they should. But thats just my opionion.xx
Ps I do feel like the Bio course was too short and should of been longer.

Last edited:
As I'm getting sneered at and shouted down, I shall leave you to it ladies.
Maybe next time you have a leak, you will get a plumber who has done a one day course and a bit of reading on a frequently incorrect forum too. Still, as long as he has "passion", I'm sure all will be fine.

Maybe next time you have a leak, you will get a plumber who has done a one day course and a bit of reading on a frequently incorrect forum too. Still, as long as he has "passion", I'm sure all will be fine.

Perhaps your comments should be aimed at the organisations providing these courses rather than the individuals who pay good money to attend them? Those who pay to attend them, do so assuming that they'll be qualified afterwards to carry out the treatments, because the training establishments and insurance companies tell them they will be.

I don't see anyone sneering anyone down - that's the whole point of the thread and I'm sorry if you think we are. But if if I had a leak and needed a plumber I'd firstly ask friends for recommendations and failing that I'd do my darndest to find someone with the right qualifications. SHOULD they fail to do a proper job or damage my property then I would pursue it in a legal way same as I would expect anyone would against a beauty therapist who did a bad job. Just because the plumber was qualified though doesn't mean he'd be doing a good job (I can show you some of the plumbing and electrics in this house done by "qualified" workmen when they were built that would turn your stomach!!)

Haha, sharp as always :)

I'm certainly not sneering and shouting you down and I'm sorry if that's how it feels. I have respect for your opinions and experience but I think the debate is a valid one considering it is a frequent subject on SG.

I am interested to hear the for' and against' opinions and the possibilities for future regulation from everyone whether they have been in the industry 5 mins or 50 years, it doesn't mean any one opinion is right or wrong. It's about hearing enough to make informed decisions for oneself and possibly form a general consensus to find solutions as suggested by Tinxy.

Kathie x

My thoughts - I trained & am fully qualified since 1990. There were no easy ways into the industry then - I worked my ass off for a year to get my qualifications.
Then through motherhood I was out of the industry for 14 yrs.
So I went back and did another YEAR long course to refresh my training.
This industry is not something you can learn in one day, nor should it be.
If I was willing to put in the time & energy to do it properly twice - then anyone serious about their career should be equally willing to do the same.
I'm a single parent too so the excuse of family/financial barriers doesn't slide with me.
You want it - work for it.

My thoughts - I trained & am fully qualified since 1990. There were no easy ways into the industry then - I worked my ass off for a year to get my qualifications.
Then through motherhood I was out of the industry for 14 yrs.
So I went back and did another YEAR long course to refresh my training.
This industry is not something you can learn in one day, nor should it be.
If I was willing to put in the time & energy to do it properly twice - then anyone serious about their career should be equally willing to do the same.
I'm a single parent too so the excuse of family/financial barriers doesn't slide with me.
You want it - work for it.

Hi marshmalotoast

You are best placed to comment on whether the standard of training had dropped, improved or was the same as when you first trained?

Kathie x

Thanks Jillybob, but my concern is that many of the experienced geeks who advocate that there's no way like the NVQ way! did their training 20 years ago!

wow reading all this stuff and so many views. i qualified back in 1994 i did batac 1yr then followed on with cibtac 2yr course. this was a 3 day aweek. which meant i could still work etc plus having a small son it was a very involved 3 yrs.

i remember studing like hell for the end of yr exams. As we were taking the last exams the NVQ came in.... oh my god did we complain.

the complaints were about how easy the course was, so many things taken out plus they got to sit modules i think they called them.

anyway this did create alot of negativity towards the NVQs.

but things have changed and i dont know how many of you remember this... but the bottom line i think we all need some main qualification and i think the short courses have there place in the industry, but i feel some are money making and dont bother checking for a main qualifications.

i must admit i would not have the confidence in doing any treatments without a good knowledge or training, god forbid something terrible happening.

so what makes a good therapist is someone who is caring to clients and has pride in her work... which you cant do a course on.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using SalonGeek

For those who do the one day courses do you learn the different aspects of the treatment or just the pretty bits?

Would you know the difference between different nail infections WITHOUT going on google or watching you tube? if it was that simple wouldn't colleges just stick a computer in your face and say 'there you go learn'

do you understand all the different skin types and practised on them with professional guidance to know the the treatment and the advice your giving is correct.

The one day courses I feel are ok to refresh your self upon IF you already know what your doing but these learn nails in a day do my bloody head because I'm sorry but you can't!

If your passion is hair or beauty then would you not want to fofill it to your best ability and put all your passion into knowing the trade inside out?

That's just my look on it though x x

Thanks Jillybob, but my concern is that many of the experienced geeks who advocate that there's no way like the NVQ way! did their training 20 years ago!

sorry i hearted this by mistake.
i qualified in 1990 with itec,cibtac and cidesco and i thought nvq's were a dumbed down version of my qualifications back then.
i have taken on many nvq trained girls over the years and would be inclined to take them from a certain college quicker than other colleges as i believe this one college would have a higher standard of training, even then, some of the girls from this place have been great and some were awful.
i don't know why some of them chose to do beauty/nails as they had neither the flair for it, the hunger to learn and improve or the people skills needed to suceed and cannot understand how the half of them passed their exams. the colleges seem to just churn them out and not worry weather they are fit to be let loose on the public.
But i still wouldn't entertain someone who had just done one day courses and had no basic qualification. IMO they just have to have some sort of foundation to work from.

Hi kathie,

I originally did CIDESCO, ITEC, IAL etc
This time I went through the NVQ system and YES - standards have dropped. I felt people were being let pass exams with insufficient skills or practice. This was a p/t night class.

It's a shame that the industry is the way it is now, but I just concentrate on being the best I can be :)

So... we've established that neither NVQs nor day courses make you fit to be a beauty therapist :) Super...

That would leave ITEC, CIBTAC and BABTAC full time courses then? :)

*dons her WWII helmet and dives back behind a big rock*

For those who do the one day courses do you learn the different aspects of the treatment or just the pretty bits?

Would you know the difference between different nail infections WITHOUT going on google or watching you tube? if it was that simple wouldn't colleges just stick a computer in your face and say 'there you go learn'

do you understand all the different skin types and practised on them with professional guidance to know the the treatment and the advice your giving is correct.

The one day courses I feel are ok to refresh your self upon IF you already know what your doing but these learn nails in a day do my bloody head because I'm sorry but you can't!

If your passion is hair or beauty then would you not want to fofill it to your best ability and put all your passion into knowing the trade inside out?

That's just my look on it though x x

Thanks for that perspective, it's the sort of thing that helps informed decisions x

Hi kathie,

I originally did CIDESCO, ITEC, IAL etc
This time I went through the NVQ system and YES - standards have dropped. I felt people were being let pass exams with insufficient skills or practice. This was a p/t night class.

It's a shame that the industry is the way it is now, but I just concentrate on being the best I can be :)

Thanks marshmalotoast, that's useful to know. X

So... we've established that neither NVQs nor day courses make you fit to be a beauty therapist :) Super...

I do feel like doing the two year NVQ level 2 was worth while, As my course went in depth and i did alot of homework too.xx

I did mostly one day courses. Some things you can't learn in a day. Obviously nobody is silly enough to think you can learn hairdressing in a day. I've had some girls who have trained at college for 2 or 3 years who have have done trade tests and are awful. I simply won't take on college trained hairdressers now.
Beauty has so many different parts that I think you can learn them individually as long as you put the effort and work in.
When I did my waxing course a few years ago, I was in and out in 2 and a half hours!!
Obviously I am not going to learn everything from that. I did have to put 40 hours practice in and then go back and be assessed. When I had done my 40 hours I phoned my tutor up. She had moved from the training place I went to so just asked me if I felt confident waxing and to drop my case studies round to her house. She passed me and didn't even give me an assessment. Now these are the sort of courses that are crazy. It was an accredited course and it was accredited by the Beauty Guild.
I think places like the Beauty Guild just accredited courses willy nilly and they really need to assess the trainers. They don't even know if it's the trainer that has written the course.
I have been on a lot of bad one day courses but I would never let myself loose on the public until I had practised and felt confident in my abilities.
So I did mostly one day courses, I have a teaching qualification and I run a successful salon.
If you have a passion and are willing to put the time in then one day courses, for certain treatments, are fine but I do think that the courses should be monitored more.

I guess "Rome was'nt built in a day" as they say x

Ha ha, come out and keep this going :) I think we're learning a lot here.

I don't think any course makes you fit to be a beauty therapist on it's own tbh...it gives you a basis, but you need a lot of practice before you're ready in my opinion.

But saying this, you DO need a good, solid base to get going from. The day courses i have done have felt like an extension of what i already knew. If i had no information behind them, i'm not sure i would've done as well. For example, they would give you a list of contra-indications and just say don't do anybody with these. In my college course they gave the list but explained why you couldn't work on those and what you could work around.

I don't do hair, but know a lot of hairdressers that say college courses aren't great, but apprenticeships are the way to go..again it's getting the practice in.

So to be a great therapist i think you need the knowledge behind you with the passion to make you want to practice, get it right and be the best you can be.

Dawn, don't go away! We all respect your opinions and you have a great insight from the salon owners' perspective xx

Latest posts

Back