Hi, pleased to meet you all

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxy_princess

Reaction score
Hi, names francesXXX :lol: im 19 years old, live in London and am currently living with my ma. I'm indded pleased to be joining everyone on here who can help me develop into a qualified and skilled beautician.
My preferred area is nails. I have various A levels, and am a very skilled artist. I want to train to do nails professionally and in a unique way. I watch nail tutorials on youtube daily and have bought tons of practise wheels to start basic designs on. I know there is a lot more to it than that such as gel, acrylic, overlays, etc, encapsulation, curing and so on and so forth. However I have come here to ask you ladies and gents what it would take for me to get my foot in the door. What qualifications do I need in order for a salon to employ me to do nails? I want to gain a couple years experience working in the business, as me and my sister would like to open our own salon one day (she's fab and qualified at doing hair)

thank you

Hi francesXXX, welcome to Salon Geek I'm sure you will enjoy your time on here and you'll receive plenty of invaluable advice and make some amazing friends that have the same interests as you :)
However, I'm in no place to give you advice on what qualifications you need to get your foot in the door as I live a world away from England but I hope someone on here can help you and good luck 😄😘
Xx

Hi francesXXX! Welcome to Salon Geek, I'm also fairly new to this forum :) If you would like to work In a salon/spa doing nails, you would need an NVQ2 Beautytherapy qualification as a minimum. This is because you need to learn basic manicure and pedicure skills and the majority of salons will only accept an NVQ due to insurance and licencing purposes. Ideally if you can afford to, do level 3 as well as I have found that salons especially in London won't interview you without a level 3. I know some salons accept an Itec as well. Then once you get that qualification you could then go onto to the CND courses and get a certificate in Shellac. I believe you can do Nvqs in just nail technology as well, definitely worth a look around to see what's on offer!

Good luck!
Holly x

Hi francesXXX! Welcome to Salon Geek, I'm also fairly new to this forum :) If you would like to work In a salon/spa doing nails, you would need an NVQ2 Beautytherapy qualification as a minimum. This is because you need to learn basic manicure and pedicure skills and the majority of salons will only accept an NVQ due to insurance and licencing purposes. Ideally if you can afford to, do level 3 as well as I have found that salons especially in London won't interview you without a level 3. I know some salons accept an Itec as well. Then once you get that qualification you could then go onto to the CND courses and get a certificate in Shellac. I believe you can do Nvqs in just nail technology as well, definitely worth a look around to see what's on offer!

Good luck!
Holly x

Thank you for your advice holly! and YES, I live in south west London. I guess I would need a level 3 NVQ then in that case. But i heard i have to complete NVQ level 2 aswell to qualify for nvq 3. would i need a level 1 too? :Scared: where did you complete your courses? there's so many courses to complete and some of them only cover a few basics, some cover only hair and nails etc. but i'm mainly looking to do nails anyway to begin with. then i guess i can complete some extra courses while im working:eek:

You need to get recognised qualifications to get insured I'd like to say competent but the two don't necessarily go hand in hand.It also depends on your financial situation.You may get help with some FE courses you won't with private courses.

Thank you for your advice holly! and YES, I live in south west London. I guess I would need a level 3 NVQ then in that case. But i heard i have to complete NVQ level 2 aswell to qualify for nvq 3. would i need a level 1 too? :Scared: where did you complete your courses? there's so many courses to complete and some of them only cover a few basics, some cover only hair and nails etc. but i'm mainly looking to do nails anyway to begin with. then i guess i can complete some extra courses while im working:eek:

You can usually go straight into a level 2 course at your age.Start looking at courses at your local colleges they will be taking in for September soon if you are looking at full time you would do level 2 and then 3

Hi, im currently doing my level 2 in East Yorkshire at college, I had to do the level 1 in manicure before I could so the acrylic and gel course, I'm not sure if this is the same in your area, the best thing for you to do would be to go to your local college that caters for the course your interested in and see what they say
:)
Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back