High street Acrylics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fab Freak

Reaction score
I cant help but think that either Nails Magazine or ANT could do with getting some coverage in the national press on these products and with thorough research on the chemicals being used and if they could be harmful to the natural nail.

I agree it does bring us business but I worry about potential customers giving themselves damaged nails and being put off nail enhancements even if they did the damage themselves :!:

I have stopped buying magazines of late and don't know if the major manufactures advertise to promote their products and contact their local professional etc with images showing how beautiful a set of professionally applied nails can look.

don't know if this makes good sense or is already being done!

Now we really need to be realistic!

Anyone at all can potentially cause damage to themselves when using anything. That is the customers choice if they want to take the chance.

You should go into a pharmacy in the USA!!! Crickey! They sell literally hundreds of items for DIY nails ... hundreds. Products for doing your own nails have been around for years and years and the professional nail industry just keeps on growing!

I wouldn't waste too much time and effort being concerned about the end consumer. They know the score.

I do agree with Geeg's post on this - let's be more pro-active in educating our own customers about these things as I very much doubt that INA or ANT or anyone else for that matter - could stop major high street type chemists from selling these products - it would be like trying to stop them selling DIY hair coloring kits because hairdressers would much prefer we went to them - yes they do a much better job than the non professional!! :rolleyes: but you will always get those that want to do-it-themselves than pay for the service :confused: thought-provoking isn't it ;)

I think I agree and disagree at the same time. :twisted: Call me complicated...

I agree that we cannot ask or force chemists, Boots and others to NOT sell DIY nail products. That is impossible.

But I disagree that the end consumer usually knows the score. Most of them haven't got the slightest idea of what can and cannot damage their nails. And I am not sure that the problem lies with what is on offer at the chemist in term of products, but more with the price of the services WE offer.

What I mean is that most of the time, people using the quick fix DIY stuff are people who want temporary nails for a special occasion. So they don't want to pay from £30 to £60 (depending on where they live) for a set of nails. Plus removal.... So they go and see if they can do it themselves. Or go to cheaper shops...

I would have to go and check exactly how much a set of DIY nails costs. But I reckon that if in our service menu, we'd include an alternative like weekend nails or pre-frenched / airbrushed full tips, at a price close to the DIY stuff, then people would be more enclined to come to us for their nails.

This is very sad to say, but from what I have seen around here, you can spend hours talking to most of them about product quality, sanitation, pain or no pain :twisted: , safety, what to look for and more, and they don't really care. All they want is the cheapest and quickest. I sometimes feel its like explaining the damages of smoking to a smoker... Useless.... :| I should know: I am an ex-smoker!!

nats said:
But I disagree that the end consumer usually knows the score. Most of them haven't got the slightest idea of what can and cannot damage their nails. And I am not sure that the problem lies with what is on offer at the chemist in term of products, but more with the price of the services WE offer.
You are right, the end consumer who has never had their nails done, does not know the score; they want nails for the night and they assume it will cost far more by going to a salon so they are attracted to the cheaper alternative - DIY!

But I reckon that if in our service menu, we'd include an alternative like weekend nails or pre-frenched / airbrushed full tips, at a price close to the DIY stuff, then people would be more enclined to come to us for their nails.
Possibly but I think you will still have the 'same old, same old' proplems with them expecting money back when these 'weekend' alternatives' come off - which is essentially what they are supposed to do. It could work but you would have to be very strict about explaining the exact purpose for this type of nail!

This is very sad to say but from what I have seen around here, you can spend hours talking to most of them about product quality, sanitation, pain or no pain :twisted: , safety, what to look for and more, and they don't really care. All they want is the cheapest and quickest.
That is so true - it's like bashing your head against a brick wall!! But don't forget that there are also those clients that seriously do care about these issues because of people like yourself and many on this board who spend your time educating your clients. It amazes me when I see thick, creamy or yellowing looking, bulbous 'Horse Hooves' on fingers and the clients actually like them - they will look at my beautiful, natural looking, thin enhancements and they can't see the difference (or they don't want to see) - what can you do?? Nada in this case. We just have to keep on keepin'g on!! When you see your words fall on deaf ears (and you can see it) or you see that they really don't care about the end look - pull in the reigns and except the inevitable - most you can change but there are those few who won't be told!:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back