Highlight advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cnoelle

Reaction score
Hi guys!

So let me start by saying I’m not a hair professional in any way. Used to use box dye and then stopped years ago after messing up my hair.

I have naturally light blonde hair that always pulls warm. I want dark brown roots with a balayage look, so my hair dresser does a “reverse balayage” where she darkens the roots and fades it down, leaving my naturally lighter blonde hair at the bottom. Sometimes she’ll put in a few foils at my roots to lighten it up a little bit and give dimension. This time I had her leave out the foils and do a cooler tone light brown and it’s just a little too dark for my liking, with not much contrast between the lighter sections of the balayage. I really want to add a “money piece” to the front of my hair, just a lighter highlight on both sides of my face and I don’t really have the money to get it done at a salon. Anywhere I went, they want around $40+ just for a few highlights around my face. I want to get the supplies from Sally’s and just do it myself. Right now my hair is about a 4 or a 5 with a slightly lighter shade being left out to give the balayage effect. I already have some lighter strands around my face, but I just want them to pop a little more. I really don’t know much about toner, developer, bleach, etc. I’ve done some research and it seems like Wella is the way to go.

I don’t want a super light blonde/platinum money piece, more like a light caramel/golden color. So how do I achieve this? With bleach then a toner or a dye with a developer?

All the toners I’ve seen seem to be for someone who wants to remove brassiness and give a cooler toned blond. I want the warmth in my hair to give more of a bronde caramel “highlight” if that’s what you want to call it. I’m not afraid of doing it on my own, I just need the right supplies and information.

If anyone can give me some info on things I can use from Sally’s, I’d really appreciate it!

I attached a pic of what I’m looking for

Attachments

• 50F9D05A-B299-4C19-A79A-BB90180896C8.jpeg
    50F9D05A-B299-4C19-A79A-BB90180896C8.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 33
Hi guys!

So let me start by saying I’m not a hair professional in any way. Used to use box dye and then stopped years ago after messing up my hair.

I have naturally light blonde hair that always pulls warm. I want dark brown roots with a balayage look, so my hair dresser does a “reverse balayage” where she darkens the roots and fades it down, leaving my naturally lighter blonde hair at the bottom. Sometimes she’ll put in a few foils at my roots to lighten it up a little bit and give dimension. This time I had her leave out the foils and do a cooler tone light brown and it’s just a little too dark for my liking, with not much contrast between the lighter sections of the balayage. I really want to add a “money piece” to the front of my hair, just a lighter highlight on both sides of my face and I don’t really have the money to get it done at a salon. Anywhere I went, they want around $40+ just for a few highlights around my face. I want to get the supplies from Sally’s and just do it myself. Right now my hair is about a 4 or a 5 with a slightly lighter shade being left out to give the balayage effect. I already have some lighter strands around my face, but I just want them to pop a little more. I really don’t know much about toner, developer, bleach, etc. I’ve done some research and it seems like Wella is the way to go.

I don’t want a super light blonde/platinum money piece, more like a light caramel/golden color. So how do I achieve this? With bleach then a toner or a dye with a developer?

All the toners I’ve seen seem to be for someone who wants to remove brassiness and give a cooler toned blond. I want the warmth in my hair to give more of a bronde caramel “highlight” if that’s what you want to call it. I’m not afraid of doing it on my own, I just need the right supplies and information.

If anyone can give me some info on things I can use from Sally’s, I’d really appreciate it!

I attached a pic of what I’m looking for

Welcome to Salon Geek.

Unfortunately, the hair professionals using this website are not allowed to give detailed technical information or colour formulas to those who are untrained.

Please do not experiment with chemicals, but visit a local colourist for a consultation instead.

Latest posts

Back