Hit and miss L&P knocking confidence. Too thick and lumpy. Are cheap tips to blame?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulsby x

Reaction score
Ive been training to do acrylics at college and home for 5 months. I've got it I totally get it. But I don't at the same time it's so frustrating I feel like giving up I hate the confidence knock. I'm doing lots of sets at home and overall there not bad, however just done one and Im so unhappy they were thick and lumpy and just awful at the sides and I just couldn't seem to correct it filing. I used cheap crap tips as ran out of my usual. I don't understand how I can perfect them then do a terrible set a day later!!! xxx

Please don't be too hard on yourself. I'm still training too. Some days I do great sets, others not so great (I'm doing gel, not acrylic at the mo)
It's a constant learning curve. There are techs on here that have been working in this industry for many years, and they still pick out each and every flaw they can see.
I don't have any advice, as I personally don't think I have enough knowledge behind me. But I didn't want to read and run.
A knock in confidence is just that, a knock. Pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and try again xx

Aw thankyou It's been a roller coaster of pure happiness and then sheer disappointment in myself I am very critical of myself but this set was just terrible thank god it was just my friend however word of mouth spreads and don't want people to think I'm terrible at it. Every single bit of this is a learning curve I'm just a bit disheartend and don't understand how I've done such a bad job it's like rewinding back 3 months and 20 sets! Thankyou for your encouragement, I needed that lol xxx

This will make you feel better look at what I had to work on today! Wanting tips! I nearly ran out of the salon [emoji30]
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1467231524.805479.jpg

But seriously, I've been doing them a couple of years and I still have days like that, I think most of us do! I'm the worst around that time of the month lol I don't know why but that's when I struggle! Xx

This will make you feel better look at what I had to work on today! Wanting tips! I nearly ran out of the salon [emoji30]View attachment 198731

But seriously, I've been doing them a couple of years and I still have days like that, I think most of us do! I'm the worst around that time of the month lol I don't know why but that's when I struggle! Xx[
This will make you feel better look at what I had to work on today! Wanting tips! I nearly ran out of the salon [emoji30]View attachment 198731

But seriously, I've been doing them a couple of years and I still have days like that, I think most of us do! I'm the worst around that time of the month lol I don't know why but that's when I struggle! Xx
how!??? that has made me feel better . Ah god I'm just so annoyed at myself honestly they were shocking I'm not exaggerating I wanted to soak them off right there and then. I've got 3 more people thurs and fri n now I'm dreading it! Case I've got to try and explain myself that I'm not always that shit I just wish I knew what ide done wrong they'd bled into the sides? Does shape perfecting just come in time? Xxx

The tips you use have nothing whatsoever to do with lumpiness and thickness. That's all down to application and brush control, mix ratio, etc.

Last edited:

Is that a child's hand?

The tips you use have nothing whatsoever to do with lumpiness and thickness. That's all down to application and brush control, mix ratio, etc.
Deep down I knew this lol I just think I was clutching at straws for something to blame lol. how do you stop it bleeding into the sidewalls x

Deep down I knew this lol I just think I was clutching at straws for something to blame lol. how do you stop it bleeding into the sidewalls x
It doesn't that's the thing just the odd set Its thick and lumpy at sides x

Your bead might be a bit too wet, try blotting the back of the brush before applying the bead. I use NSI and it self levels, meaning all I do is pat toward the edge and do very little else.

I also use the brush as a barrier, so angle it against the sidewall and it should stop the product from touching. I'm still relatively new but I hope that's of some help.

Your bead might be a bit too wet, try blotting the back of the brush before applying the bead. I use NSI and it self levels, meaning all I do is pat toward the edge and do very little else.

I also use the brush as a barrier, so angle it against the sidewall and it should stop the product from touching. I'm still relatively new but I hope that's of some help.
I use nsi too, I've got a set this afternoon so Ile tweek my technique like you say and fingers crossed!! Do u have any problems with lifting? I do thourough cuticle prep off the fingernail fixer video I seen on here but I'm still finding it happening. One thread said they double prime using nsi attract primer xx

I use nsi too, I've got a set this afternoon so Ile tweek my technique like you say and fingers crossed!! Do u have any problems with lifting? I do thourough cuticle prep off the fingernail fixer video I seen on here but I'm still finding it happening. One thread said they double prime using nsi attract primer xx
I changed my tools regarding cuticle work. The NSI metal hoof wasn't removing the dead skin efficiently and I got lifting. I now scrape all around the edges and up the nail using a cuticle knife is small circular motions, then scrape the excess gently with a flat cuticle tool whilst gently pushing the cuticle back. I don't double prime but changing my tools has presented no lifting at all. This was combined with a drier bead. Once you "crack it", it's amazing how it just fits into place.

Have you been training in acrylic nails for 5 months? Or were there other systems/treatments as well? Because I'd say after 5 months one should be turning out nails that are reasonably smooth and know how to taper/blend into cuticle area/sidewalls

Agree it's not a tip issue

Was it just a one off set that was so bad?

It's how you use your brush which governs the finished shape, also if your mix ratio is right.

Is it a college course?

I feel the same and I have been doing it for years I just don't have enough practice :( sometimes ,y sets look nice (not amazing) and other times they are awful!!!!

Have you been training in acrylic nails for 5 months? Or were there other systems/treatments as well? Because I'd say after 5 months one should be turning out nails that are reasonably smooth and know how to taper/blend into cuticle area/sidewalls

Agree it's not a tip issue

Was it just a one off set that was so bad?

It's how you use your brush which governs the finished shape, also if your mix ratio is right.

Is it a college course?
Yeah 5 months at a college course, only acrylics. It think it was just a one off set, I already know I should be confident everytime now but I'm not, I still doubt myself my course has finished I'm qualified but maybe that's just me overthinking it but I'm still getting lifting. just having a bad few days with my confidence I think. X

Yeah 5 months at a college course, only acrylics. It think it was just a one off set, I already know I should be confident everytime now but I'm not, I still doubt myself my course has finished I'm qualified but maybe that's just me overthinking it but I'm still getting lifting. just having a bad few days with my confidence I think. X
Everyone seems to be happy with them but I can just see faults which drives me crazy x

We can all have a bad set or a bad day. It takes me longer when I'm working late and they're never as good as my earlier work.
I use the Nsi took kit and also a curette. It's great for scooping out anything left over.
I was advised to use pure plus twice on any lifters and make sure you really go over and under the nail and right down the nail plate until it's squeaky.
If it's lumpy then it sounds like you're working too dry but lifting is usually prep or taking the product too far down
I left college last May and it's only recently that I've felt confident as I'm doing mainly L&P one set after another. Don't get down over it, just keep practicing X

I changed my tools regarding cuticle work. The NSI metal hoof wasn't removing the dead skin efficiently and I got lifting. I now scrape all around the edges and up the nail using a cuticle knife is small circular motions, then scrape the excess gently with a flat cuticle tool whilst gently pushing the cuticle back. I don't double prime but changing my tools has presented no lifting at all. This was combined with a drier bead. Once you "crack it", it's amazing how it just fits into place.
We can all have a bad set or a bad day. It takes me longer when I'm working late and they're never as good as my earlier work.
I use the Nsi took kit and also a curette. It's great for scooping out anything left over.
I was advised to use pure plus twice on any lifters and make sure you really go over and under the nail and right down the nail plate until it's squeaky.
If it's lumpy then it sounds like you're working too dry but lifting is usually prep or taking the product too far down
I left college last May and it's only recently that I've felt confident as I'm doing mainly L&P one set after another. Don't get down over it, just keep practicing X
really, sometimes I think I'm taking too long to crack it and end up putting a lot of pressure myself.

*on myself. I've started using a curette, ile take everything on board, a set I done today went well but I'm just waiting for her to txt to say there lifting. Do you see faults even when there pretty much perfect whyyyy lol xx

Latest posts

Back