HMRC Tax Credits self employed - being assessed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought it was 16 hours a week and you qualify

Surely earning minimum wage you don't qualify for working tax anyway? I'm confused x
Nmw at 7.20 for 37 hours is only nearly 14k before tax the amount the government says you need to live on is more than that which is why people get housing benefits & tax credits, to top up the difference, people with children have a higher amount the law states they need,
I always thought it was 16 hours a week and you qualify
my friend I was talking to today dosent qualify for tax credits because she works 16 hours not 24 if she worked 24 she could get them, she dosent have children yet tho

Hi everyone, I'm joining the party late.

I became a single mum in OCTOBER, I applied for tax credits but they turned down my first claim saying I didn't get my accounts to them in time. I applied again and I was called and interrogated my a hmrc jobsworth. They then sent me the dreaded form with the check list which I completed, it took AGES!!

So today I've just been interrogated by a tax credits demon. He practically accusing me of lying on my form because I didn't provide invoices (the type I would provide my clients with) I said you don't go to the hairdressers and get an invoice and he said that I hadn't proven that I am actually earning what I say I am. He was trying to catch me out, asking me dumb questions. Why did I earn over £500 in one week and not in others, where is the evidence?
In the end I said, I feel like you think I'm lying to you and I don't know what else to say, I have provided everything you I've asked for.
He said that because I don't work more than 30 hours per week I am being penalised and will lose money from them despite what I earn being the same. I thought The Tory xxxxx were encouraging people to be self employed and entrepreneurial? Utter xxxxxxxx. Excuse my French but I am Fuming.
In the end he said he would accept my claim but that in future I must keep proper records. Wtf?
Who do I complain to about this? Write to my MP? I've been made to feel like a criminal for being honest and hardworking. Rant over....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey can someone give me some advice, I’ve just received this in the post and I’m currently working 16hours a week, i was planning to do more hours in September once my daughter starts high school but am pregnant and am going to work the same hours until after the new year, then use child care, I put on my form I get about £6000 a year after expenses, is this enough? Also what info do I need to send exactly, baby Brian is killing me at the mo I’m fully booked makeup and nail artist so am happy enough with th 16hours at the moment, I rent a salon out so would have rent receipts and stock receipts but everything is done with cash, not sure where to even start

Latest posts

Back