Holey Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesuislouise

Reaction score
Very strange experience this morning with CND Shellac, I've never had this before! I had a new sent this morning and PEP'd her nails as normal, washed off the cuticle away and applied scrub fresh followed by base coat. The base coat didn't seemed to go on as smoothly as normal and appeared to have tiny holes formulating?

After putting her hand in the lamp the holes were still there, I applied a colour coat (cityscape) and the holes kept appearing. I was really unhappy with this and took it all off ad started again. Again, the same holes appeared but my client insister that I carry on and that it was fine. In the end (and after 3 coats of cityscape) all was fine and her nails looked normal.

I'm just really concerned as to what these holes appearing were, it was like the base coat and colour coat were shrinking back? I have attached a picture (you can see its all shrunk back at the folds and eponychium)

I would hate for this to happen again to her or anyone else so want to know what it is I'm possibly doing wrong? Thanks!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1188.JPG
    IMG_1188.JPG
    710.5 KB · Views: 489
Very strange experience this morning with CND Shellac, I've never had this before! I had a new sent this morning and PEP'd her nails as normal, washed off the cuticle away and applied scrub fresh followed by base coat. The base coat didn't seemed to go on as smoothly as normal and appeared to have tiny holes formulating?

After putting her hand in the lamp the holes were still there, I applied a colour coat (cityscape) and the holes kept appearing. I was really unhappy with this and took it all off ad started again. Again, the same holes appeared but my client insister that I carry on and that it was fine. In the end (and after 3 coats of cityscape) all was fine and her nails looked normal.

I'm just really concerned as to what these holes appearing were, it was like the base coat and colour coat were shrinking back? I have attached a picture (you can see its all shrunk back at the folds and eponychium)

I would hate for this to happen again to her or anyone else so want to know what it is I'm possibly doing wrong? Thanks!!!

I've only seen this happen when the nail plate wasn't completely dry of the cleansing product used. ie: Scrubfresh

On my phone that looks for all the world like glitter!

What exactly is on the nail you photographed? That's never just base coat is it? Yet I'm guessing it must be because cityscape is pale grey. Yet your base coat looks pink and much more opaque than my Shellac base coat.

So weird as this happened to me for the first time ever yesterday.
I've Shellaced this client several times with great results - she only comes every 3 weeks and has barely any wear on them.
She's always had dark colours but I did Rosebud yesterday. Thought it may be because it was one of my original colours ive had ages. But I did a tropix - also old stick the day before and it was fine.
I noticed it after first colour coat but finished the service and it was fine.
What is this please? X

Like I said, it's due to contaminant of some sort, such as excess liquid, dust, oil etc.

Ok maybe I can add to this, though not a solution I'm afraid. I'm not very technical but if someone could very kindly somehow link in another thread I feel it could be relevant, it's title is 'pitting gel polish' by Chickafish I think.

On my phone that looks for all the world like glitter!

What exactly is on the nail you photographed? That's never just base coat is it? Yet I'm guessing it must be because cityscape is pale grey. Yet your base coat looks pink and much more opaque than my Shellac base coat.

It's base coat with one cot of cityscape, but its completely pitted, this was the worst offending nail!

Like I said, it's due to contaminant of some sort, such as excess liquid, dust, oil etc.

Thanks for your reply Attitude! If the contaminant was oil, could it be that the client has an oily nail plate and therefore needs a little more scrub fresh?

Did she touch anything after you scrub freshed? Scratched her head or put her hand in her bag or something. I have a lady who does this.

It means that for whatever reason there are still contaminants on the nail plates if this happens again remove the base coat prior to curing, thoroughly dehydrate again and reapply. It should go on normally then.

This has happened to me a couple of times. It's really annoying! But as the others have said I can only put it down to a residue on the nail, even after scrubfresh.
Actually, do you think this could be down to hormonal changes? It's happened to me with clients I have shellaced hundreds of times.

This has happened to me a couple of times. It's really annoying! But as the others have said I can only put it down to a residue on the nail, even after scrubfresh.
Actually, do you think this could be down to hormonal changes? It's happened to me with clients I have shellaced hundreds of times.
I would assume it can be purely on the basis of how your hair can behave when pregnant etc, since your nails are made of the same stuff.

When my client has washed her hands I once forgot to scrub fresh and this come out like this!
So
My guessing it still has oils from the hand wash, need to scrub fresh a bit more. X

Latest posts

Back