Home based

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classychick

Reaction score
so sorry know i have posted this already but dont know where! Was wondering if any of you work from home but without a spare room. Dont want to be unprofessional but it would be a lot more practical with me having my son. If there are any of you how do you find your clients are with it being in your front room? Thanks in advance xxx
Posted via Mobile Device

so sorry know i have posted this already but dont know where! Was wondering if any of you work from home but without a spare room. Dont want to be unprofessional but it would be a lot more practical with me having my son. If there are any of you how do you find your clients are with it being in your front room? Thanks in advance xxx
Posted via Mobile Device

From a clients point of view it would depend what the front room looks like! If it is uncluttered, clean and restful I would have no problem. If it looks too much like a family front room I may feel uncomfortable. :biggrin: Clients who come to a home salon are a totally different set of clients and may actually be more discerning as they realise they may get a more personal service. I would be more concerned about the quality of treatments, professionalism of the therapist and over all cleanliness. Putting a screen up may help with presentation.

I work from home and dont have a beauty room ive had no complaints from clients i have a very large kitchen dinner so thats where i work.

I work from home, and from my lounge as I don't have a separate room to use as I'm only in a flat, the client's I have all seem quite comfortable with the arrangement, admittedly I have no children's things to deal.
Some clients prefer to come to someones home rather than a salon environment, it makes it more personal for them and they feel more comfortable. That's what I have found anyway hun. hth...x

Thanks guys for ur response i have spoke to my customers and they dont seem to mind, just want to make it as nice and professional as i can for them as its going to be in my living room!! ! I do both beauty and nails so any more tips on making it extra nice for them would be appreciated. Xxx
Posted via Mobile Device

Hope you don't mind me asking but do you own your own home? If yes have you maybe thought of borrowing within any equity you may have in its value and Building an extension for doing what you want to do? Or even converting a room? Just an idea like.

thanks but its not owned and like suzie am in a flat the 2 rooms i have are for me, my partner and my son i really dont have anywhere to use! Xx
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi I have a separate room but I do not think it matters as long as you are professional. Things clients have commented on have been a) the soft neutral decor, nice things like toning towels, cleanliness, tidiness. Some lightly scented lit candles always look welcoming as well. I think excellent presentation in someones home will always look better than a rough looking room in the back of a shop somewhere.

Just to add it is amazing how some people still think that if you have a home salon it must be substandard. I had a client come to me who was really wary about visiting a home salon. I had told her I had converted my garage and she thought I had bare walls and a concrete floor!! When she came she said Oh this is just like a proper salon and phoned her friend to say all was OK (obvously worried about visiting me)!!

The things I always make sure I do are make sure there is no clutter, everything is tidied away, I have nice candles or essential oils going, background music... everything set up so that I am all ready for the client. I find that some of the clients I get prefer to come to a home salon, 1, because its usually closer to them, 2, they think they get a more undivided attention..(there words not mine) and 3, some are just intimidated by the Salons in town for some reason...xx

Agree with Suzie.

I'm also home based. My flat is very small, but my working area is separated with one little wall. My home always has to be tidy, though I have a 4 year old daughter and when people come in, there are her books and toys they see, but not in the working area and everything is in immaculate order. My daughter is in kindergarten till 8 to 4, and after that she is with me or with my aunt, if there's a new client coming or if I have intimate waxing or something that needs more privacy.

Also, before my clients come, I always first feed her, play, talk with her or see to any other needs she might have, so when I work, she plays for herself or watches cartoons and she knows that she must never bother me or the clients during the work unless it's something serious. People usually don't mind having the kid around, but you have to set some rules, because you cannot interrupt your service because your kid wants another toy or something. May sound harsh, but work is work.

And as far as clients preferences: there are clients who would never come to me because I'm home based and they think I'm not professional enough (despite my certificates and the fact that I pay taxes) because I'm not "in the proper salon".
Others, which greatly outnumber the first ones, really enjoy being in a cozy, home atmosphere, all of my attention is theirs, they relax and still get the service professionally done. Of course, the working area is strictly working area, and there's no personal or other items not related to work.

It takes a lot of time and effort to put all of it to work, but as long as you work and look professionally, it should be ok.

Latest posts

Back