Home business in rented flat

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chimerka

Reaction score
Hi, I am studying Essentials Nails courses, I love it and I decided to have all of them. I hoped if after long long practise I will be good, my dream is home business. Now I am renting flat with my boyfriend where is no spare room, so I went to our agency and asked, if it is allright, when we would rent bigger flat with one more room, it this room could be used for my Nail technician business. At that time there was woman, who is always unfriendly and she began laugh, that it is against law to live and have business in rented flat. So I spend next few days on internet also on this site, I spoke with my neighbour who has friends with home business in rented flat and everywhere I find informations that it is allright. Could you please write, if you have home business in your own or rented flat? I also can not find , where could be problem...It would be really stupid, if I would need my own flat, just to have :cry:home business....thank you for your advise.

It may be different here in Australia, but I live in a rented house and run my business from home. The only issue they had was they wanted to be sure they wouldn't be liable if anybody injured themselves on the property, which they wouldn't be as it's covered by my insurance.

I work from home in New Zealand and as far as I am aware, all is OK.
I would check with your local council about any particular by-laws or local regulations about running a business from home.
You would probably also need the permission of the landlord as well.

I agree, Why don;t you phone your local council offices. They will put you through to planning and they are the ones who have the final say as far as i am aware.

Good Luck

I live in a rented house, and I have also been told I am unable to run any form of business from it. However I think that is impossible because to me that is like saying no one who is self employed can have rented accomodation. I think however they meant people coming in and out of the house. I'm in the middle of starting to go mobile so obviously my work address will be the rented house, but nobody will be coming into my house for the treatments. I know I am also not allowed to put up signs in the windows or outside the door, but that doesn't mean my car can't have any adverts on it. I've no idea why, but I kind of understand otherwise they may put the rent up and the council obviously have to be informed which may result in a hike of council tax. Personally I wouldn't risk it and just go mobile, but obviously up to you.

Thank you for your advice!! I will probably do the same as you and go to be mobile technician. Can you then your petrol and car expenses use for tax deduction? Or you can not and you must have bigger prices for nails. That advert on car is really good idea... I was reading here that nail technicians are used to pay 400,- £ a month just for chair in salon. That is horrible price
and what is mystery for me, why they just do not take flat for mortgage and then they can pay little more for their own flat and have home business.
Anyway, I know many people, who have rented accomodation and live there
with their families, parents from other countries without permission from agency and nobody cares, so why is problem, if I would have 4 customers
a day...it is not fair.

I rent a flat, and I was told by my council that as long as there wouldnt be people queing up for services, I would have no problem at all.

I think you should get back in touch with the people you rent from, for one it isnt ILLEGAL to run a buisiness from home... it may just be there policy.

hiya

Be careful if you are planning to go mobile after being told by your landlord that you are not allowed to run a business from home...

even though you don`t work in the house or have clients coming to you its still classed as running a business and can be a breach of your tenancy.

I forgot to write, that it was not my landlord, who said that I can not have home business, our landlord is really nice and I am almost sure he would not have problem with that. It was woman from our agency...thank you for your answers:)

Mine was the agency also, I think they have some form of contract saying rented living accomodation can't be used for business and I think the landlord has to sign it, but please don't hold me to that, its only what I think.

I really don't think they can stop you from going mobile, I must admit though I haven't even told the agency, but I feel that it is none of there business. I know plenty of people who run a business from home in rented accom such as builders, plumpers, roofers etc, so why not in the beauty industry. And what about those who are self employed and have to do there own books. It would end up meaning nobody can rent unless you work for a company.

I think if the agency have told you not to have clients come to your house then don't, but they can't stop you from going to others to work.

With regards to petrol, I have been told by an accountant to claim for petrol costs, and to keep a copy of all your receipts. The chances are personal and business petrol will be mixed up, so it will be an idea to keep an eye on the mileage to each house, however I know lots of people who claim all the petrol, but then again they have extremely good accountants. If footballers can pay less tax than an average worker, when they earn millions, then why can't we take advantage too, lol!

Good luck with whatever you do xx

Latest posts

Back