Home made Airbrush Tips...????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiger Jay

Reaction score
I gather there is no reason why you can't create your own airbrush tips (if you are in to airbrushing like me,) and perhaps produce something along the lines that Kirsty (Scratchers) has with out having to by them. (Very nice too by the way, see Critique)

Of course not that I have anything against buying pre airbrushed tips, just that it would be cool if you could make/customise your own, if you could.

So once you have produced your airbrush design on the tips, would the design have to be sealed with a special top coat so that the L&P doesn't effect it?

Or would you just spray seal on as normal followed by a top coat and proceed with the L&P? If not what would happen?

Or is this something I'm just going to have to try out myself, suck it and see ?

Not sure about this one at all, was just hoping someone might be able to give me some ideas on what to do here.

The pre-designed tips need to be buffed lightly to remove the shine before applying gel or L&P. I may be totally wrong so ...

Perhaps pm JackieMc who is an airbrushing expert and might be able to help.

Good luck and keep us posted.

i've done this before.
i buffed the shine off the tips, sprayed my design on and then applied a gel topcoat. after curing i buffed shine off that and then proceeded with my overlay as normal.
worked fine, no problems.:)

i've done this before.
i buffed the shine off the tips, sprayed my design on and then applied a gel topcoat. after curing i buffed shine off that and then proceeded with my overlay as normal.
worked fine, no problems.:)

Ok well I unfortunately I don't do Gel and therefore don't have a U.V lamp, so basically I'm looking to see what procedure I would need to do when just working with L&P.
Sorry, should have made myself a little clearer there!
Thanks for your advice anyway!

Would be grateful if anyone else has any ideas?

Jackie? Where are you my dear!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL :green:

Oooops! Here I am, but not going to be much help I'm afraid. I've only ever applied a gel coat to the top of airbrushed nail art, never tried acrylic, but I don't see why it couldn't work, the paint would have to be extremely dry on the tip I would imagine, to stop any streaking when the acrylic was applied. You've actually got my curiosity going now so I think I'll be having a go at the first opportunity! :)

Jackie
x

Ok experimenting time it is then.

I'll hopefully get a bit of time tomorrow so I'll make a note of what I do and whether it works or not!

Happy playing!!!!!!!! LOL :lol:

Let me know how you get on put some pics up and i'll put my order in as i can't airbrush!!!:hug:

From what I understand Marco Benito has used this technique, encapsulated airbrush
Marco Benito - Nail Bar go to the gallery and then to Benito sport, in the description it says which airbrushing has been encapsulated.

Oh nice one!
Thanks for your help there.
Had a look at this, beautiful designs, I must say.

Yep has answered my question as to whether we can encapsulate the airbrush design. I just need to work out if I need to seal the design with
a) a spray varnish
b)some sort of top coat or
c)apply L&P directly on to the airbrush design once dried.

Still going to have a play anyway!:green:

Oh yeh just another thing I thought of..........
(Tiger TWONK time - aka TTT)

Before airbrushing the design on to the tip, do we cut the well of the tip out completely or leave well alone (almost a pun there!)?
I ask this as I've never actually used pre airbrushed tips, just wondered ???

I would imagine it can go either way, only if you cut the well out then you wouldn't need to blend, just as with using a white tip..

I'm really excited to see where this goes as I always have a rough time doing smiles/anything on my right hand with my left, and I usually need to tip because of my ski-ers.. lol

Just a question though - when you buff the tip after you airbrush it, doesn't that effect the design after the whole thing is done (L&P applied, shaped, etc. & buffed to a shine)?

Or is the buffing just done ever so slightly and it doesn't cause a problem?

I'd probably apply the tip and blend, and do the usual prep but using scrubfresh on a cottonbud, then airbrush the design then encase with l&p.
I suppose I should give it a try sometime first before spouting off how I'd do it.:lol:

Firstly I have NO experience of this type of thing!
But I do have a couple of questions / thoughts.

When applying an ordinary set of tip and overlays, we are advised to remove surface shine to enable the L&P to adhere.

I have seen people using foils and holographic shapes etc in nail art, which obviously have a super shiney surface.

From what I understand (haven't done it - yet!),
you apply tip,
stick your foil etc where you want them to create your design
then overlay with L&P.

1. How does the L&P adhere to the shiney surface of the foil? Have I missed something? If so, please let me know!

2. But, if I have got the process right and it does somehow adhere, then I think that you could probably seal your airbrush design with your spray seal and then overlay without buffing and risking destroying any of your design.

Like I said I have no experience of any of this, so I am probably wrong!......
Just sharing my thoughts!

I have done a design in coloured l&p and needed black lines, couldn't be bothered fluffing around with black powder so used water based acrylic paint and hand painted them in then just put clear l&p straight over the top. Lasted fine no lifting etc.

Oh nice one!
Thanks for your help there.
Had a look at this, beautiful designs, I must say.

Yep has answered my question as to whether we can encapsulate the airbrush design. I just need to work out if I need to seal the design with
a) a spray varnish
b)some sort of top coat or
c)apply L&P directly on to the airbrush design once dried.

Still going to have a play anyway!:green:

Oh yeh just another thing I thought of..........
(Tiger TWONK time - aka TTT)

Before airbrushing the design on to the tip, do we cut the well of the tip out completely or leave well alone (almost a pun there!)?
I ask this as I've never actually used pre airbrushed tips, just wondered ???

i used well less tips,.then i didnt need to blend them on the nails.
the reason being that i could paint the designs on before applying the tips and then go straght in with the overlay.

i find every thing about doing my own nails tedious and difficult, so the more i can do before i put them on my nails , the better.

Well.....!

Just sat down to do some serious experimenting and one of the parts to the nozzle on the airbrush has snapped clean off!!!!!!!!!

How frustrating!:irked:

As soon as I get the damn thing fixed I'll get back to this thread, really want to have a bash.

Sorry guys, sit tight! :|

ooh this sounds interesting

i think i might have play

Well.....!

Just sat down to do some serious experimenting and one of the parts to the nozzle on the airbrush has snapped clean off!!!!!!!!!

How frustrating!:irked:

As soon as I get the damn thing fixed I'll get back to this thread, really want to have a bash.

Sorry guys, sit tight! :|

you could give it a try by using your airbrush paints but applying with a brush. at least it would satisfy your curiousity as to whether the process will work.

you could give it a try by using your airbrush paints but applying with a brush. at least it would satisfy your curiousity as to whether the process will work.
Yeah , thanks for making me feel a little better, but you don't understand.............

It's just not the same!!!!!!!!:cry::cry:
:wink2:

Latest posts

Back