Home salon - Do you feel vunerable??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss Sylk

Reaction score
Hi, ive been planning on my home salon for a few weeks now.
Its cheap, its there and im near my family & my man who works from home, thats why i chose to do it there.
But suddenly, ive just started to feel vunerable.:confused:
Strangers coming to my home, competition spying on my house, my 18mnth old babys room is the room next to the salon room, i just had a frightfull thought, if someone is jelous or think im doing really well they might like, i dont know brick my window or something?? and accidently get my lil boys room. I am in a good area though. I dont even care if it was a shop, but i dont want my family hurt. Am i being paranoid? Do the competition ever take it too far?? In my experience it can get well bitchy and nasty in this industry, but am i worrying to much?
Its all new to me, working form home, im usually a private person, i have wrote BY APPOINTMENT ONLY on my door sign, so that should stop randoms calling at all hours hopefully (apart from those who dont read or need emergency nail fixings).
I dont do men, although i would like to as they are great clients, its just for safety (my man said).
I have a gravel path out front for security, is there anything else that i shoud get? or would i be wasting my time and money?

Thanks peeps for listening. x

Any advice or suggestions? Especially in the way of security or how your family is affected by your home salon.
Do you feel vunerable being a mobile therapist if you are? Carrying money etc?

Am i being paranoid?

A little yes...:hug:

I have a home salon and have had for 4 years....I have never had any of the problems that you mention.

I know that the world can seem a scary place with newspaper reports and news on tv but thats cos they only ever report the bad....if they reported all the good, normal happenings that go on then maybe the world would seem a nicer place.

We always have to take our own safety seriously but worrying to the degree you are means you wouldn't ever do anything....

Just go for it and enjoy it.

I've had a treatment room at home for a year now and have not had any problems but i dont advertise and only get clients from my network of friends and contacts. This works for me as I'm still quite busy doing some extra studying and freelance work now too.

If i were you i'd ensure i get contact details of people when they make appointments and if you are still very nervous you could always put a (dud or real) entrance camera on your door/window. Just a thought.

HTH's Louise x

I've had a treatment room at home for a year now and have not had any problems but i dont advertise and only get clients from my network of friends and contacts. This works for me as I'm still quite busy doing some extra studying and freelance work now too.

If i were you i'd ensure i get contact details of people when they make appointments and if you are still very nervous you could always put a (dud or real) entrance camera on your door/window. Just a thought.

HTH's Louise x

yea, good idea about camera. x

Am i being paranoid?

A little yes...:hug:

I have a home salon and have had for 4 years....I have never had any of the problems that you mention.

I know that the world can seem a scary place with newspaper reports and news on tv but thats cos they only ever report the bad....if they reported all the good, normal happenings that go on then maybe the world would seem a nicer place.

We always have to take our own safety seriously but worrying to the degree you are means you wouldn't ever do anything....

Just go for it and enjoy it.

Here here... I also have been running a home salon for 4 years and I have only ever had 2 people knock at the door without an appointment to ask for a spray tan... I do get calls at the weekend which is the only annoying part of working a home salon... but if its gets me another client then I don't really mind.

My biggest problem at the moment is my immediate neighbour... I have a large detached house with a wall that surrounds my whole property but yet a lot of clients like to park at the house above mine and park on his pavement. He has started leaving little notes on their windscreens... so now I have to mention to all my clients to please park adjacent to my property to avoid any conflict with neighbours... but at least they do when I ask. :green:

I am home based and don't feel at all vulnerable. Most people aren't out to get you so I defiantly wouldn't worry about having a brick through the window, that sounds a bit extreme.
As with any situation just take reasonable precautions and you'll be fine.
Its probably the mum in you making you over protective.:hug:

I have a home practice and have never had any problems, or felt at all uncomfortable.

same here. Home salon, never had any problems. I don't think "competition" would be so malicious as to undertake criminal damage.

Take a deep breath - it should be fine.

I agree with the post that mentioned the bit about being a mum - it rings bells as I felt worried about driving anywhere with my son in the back. I had an accident (he was not in the car thankfully) but it took me time to have confidence again. I think we look for potential dangers when we become parents and perhaps it has spilled over into your working life.

I have never had a problem treating someone at my house but I always would go by my gut instinct. Most clients just want to relax and you would so miss out on a great business if you dwell on these negative thoughts. Yes think about security and put a camera up if it makes you feel better but then go for it and enjoy your business.

Sounds like nobody has had any problems, so hopefully i wont too, its put me at ease a little,thanks guys.

A suggestion for peace of mind. Have an intruder alarm fitted with a panic button in your treatment room. Let youe friends / neighbours know you are working from home etc and have had the panic button installed. If there are ever any problems you can just push the button and all hell breaks out - well a very loud alarm and bell that will bring a lot of attention to the house.

Im just starting out mobile with a home room too. Ive decided that i will initially offer mobile only, if I dont know the client. Once im comfortable with them I will then offer a treatment at my home. Friends and friends of friends Ill let come to my house without vetting. Scary clients will remain mobile only, needless to say!!!!!

Im just starting out mobile with a home room too. Ive decided that i will initially offer mobile only, if I dont know the client. Once im comfortable with them I will then offer a treatment at my home. Friends and friends of friends Ill let come to my house without vetting. Scary clients will remain mobile only, needless to say!!!!!

Scarey clients get searched! or a price increase! haha, if only.

Latest posts

Back