Home salon vs high street vs mobile

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Min

Reaction score
Hi

I've just been reading a good topic on why clients like mobile treatments.

One question that keeps me up at night while I'm waiting for my home salon to finish being built is - who will want to came to my home salon.

As I'm spending over £34k on my salon so I'm going to only be slightly less priced then the high street salon (need to make the money back).

So why would a client choose home salon over a high street or mobile business?

I am home based, and my clients love coming, due to the personal relaxing atmosphere at home.

I always get told we love coming here coz we get personal attention, and parking is easy. They say when they go to the NSS salon 5 different people are doing their nails and they don't like it.

Yes you want get passing trade like a salon would but once you get your clients you'll be fine.

Good luck!

As a client I wouldn't have a mobile treatment (id the rather not have a treatment bthan have it in my stress full house lol)

I look for a salon (after the obvious reputation , recommendation product check etc) that is easy to park and not on a main road! As I hate coming out of a salon thats miles away from my car, as im guaranteed to bump into someone otherwise lol!! And the main road. .. hate hearing loads of buses going past while having a massage! !

So imo .. why wouldn't they come to you?? Advertise well, be fantastic and youll have loads of clients! !! ;)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi

I've just been reading a good topic on why clients like mobile treatments.

One question that keeps me up at night while I'm waiting for my home salon to finish being built is - who will want to came to my home salon.

As I'm spending over £34k on my salon so I'm going to only be slightly less priced then the high street salon (need to make the money back).

So why would a client choose home salon over a high street or mobile business?

Hi Min,

I think it all comes down to reputation. If you build a solid client base, look after your clients and offer an incentive to refer business your way, you should be quids in. I have a rule to never spend money on advertising, this then allows me to offer a little referral incentive.

Good luck

HI, I had a salon a few yrs ago and when I sold it I decided to set up my tanning business at home (had a spare lounge at the front of the house), as a stop gap as I wasn't sure what to do next. I was like you and thought who will find me? who will come? But 3 and half yrs on its the best decision I made. I worked all the hours I had to begin with etc...but I now choose my hours (but the bonus is over town salons you can stay open late) which I do Wed, Thursday and Fridays. I would just advise you keep the rest of the house/family life (not sure if you have children, I have 5) completely separate from the beauty room. I am really strict with this rule! Although Im at home, mummy is working! Clients love the fact they can arrive in minimum clothing some come in dressing gowns, can park easily and for free. And its such a personal service, Id like to think I have a whole bunch of lovely loyal clients who are also friends from the past 6 yrs. They know exactly what they are going to get every visit, its the same quality, time taken etc which they like. All the best, Ive never advertised, offer the professional service and you will do so well with just word of mouth advertising. Aim for it to grow over the first 2 years.It wont happen overnight! lyn x

HI, I had a salon a few yrs ago and when I sold it I decided to set up my tanning business at home (had a spare lounge at the front of the house), as a stop gap as I wasn't sure what to do next. I was like you and thought who will find me? who will come? But 3 and half yrs on its the best decision I made. I worked all the hours I had to begin with etc...but I now choose my hours (but the bonus is over town salons you can stay open late) which I do Wed, Thursday and Fridays. I would just advise you keep the rest of the house/family life (not sure if you have children, I have 5) completely separate from the beauty room. I am really strict with this rule! Although Im at home, mummy is working! Clients love the fact they can arrive in minimum clothing some come in dressing gowns, can park easily and for free. And its such a personal service, Id like to think I have a whole bunch of lovely loyal clients who are also friends from the past 6 yrs. They know exactly what they are going to get every visit, its the same quality, time taken etc which they like. All the best, Ive never advertised, offer the professional service and you will do so well with just word of mouth advertising. Aim for it to grow over the first 2 years.It wont happen overnight! lyn x

Ohh what a lovely detailed reply, you know exactly how I feel. My room is going to be an extension and used just for beauty.
I'm going to have a refer a friend scheme too.

My pleasure, you will be fine, its hard work always have business cards/leaflets on you to hand out you will be amazed at how many opportunities come your way - especially on the school run! At the bank, post office etc. target estate agents, salons that may be don't offer what you do and offer to leave cards businesses where there are lots of men/women who like to spread the word are a godsend for you..if you are a bit glammed up to that helps if people comment on how well you look, tell them its your work and how they can find you.
May a loyalty scheme to - 6/12 treatments receive one free or half price, not sure what suits you. All the best, lyn x

Can I ask if your working from home, how do you manage if you have 2 clients who come together and want 2 treatments, do you have a waiting area?

Hi

To Begin I would leave 15-20mins between each client as I don't have a waiting area, unless I'm going nails. I'll need this time for retail, until I'm more experience, able to meet all service times and to make sure the salon is 100% tidy ready for the next client.

I have thought for putting a notice by the door, website and on leaflets, asking clients not to be more then 5 mins early and to ring once, To let me know they are there.

Once I know what clients are always on time and I'm more experience ill only keep 5-10mins between each treatment.

That's the plan anyway!

Just read your post again
If the clients are on for nails, no problem, I'll do one at a time. But if they are in for massage etc... I will tell them I only have one treatment area. After that they can decide.
If I get many clients who want to come together I may need to get a small room divider. But for now, I won't worry to make about that.

Ok I was thinking of getting a divider too as I had I client who came with her sister and both wanted a back massage. I explained I had no waiting area but they insisted on coming together. Her comment was "ah sure we've seen it all, don't worry I'll just read a mag while your doing her, then she can do the same"

I felt very uncomfortable doing the treatment like that but what could I do.

Latest posts

Back