Home salons-no spare room

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your working area sounds cosy...but do you mind me asking, what do your kids do when you have a client over? Are they

The middle 2 work, the eldest is in day centre and the youngest in college and when they are at home they are usually in their rooms with their own sky/computers/xboxes, if they do pass through they are always polite and none of my clients mind seeing them, I only do nails tho ;-) xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Your working area sounds cosy...but do you mind me asking, what do your kids do when you have a client over? Are they

The middle 2 work, the eldest is in day centre and the youngest in college and when they are at home they are usually in their rooms with their own sky/computers/xboxes, if they do pass through they are always polite and none of my clients mind seeing them, I only do nails tho ;-) xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I think, that I'm maybe thinking too much into this. I only do nails too and most people say the same as you, that their clients don't mind seeing their other half or family...maybe I'm just being too paranoid about all of this.

I asked this question on another forum i often look at sometimes. I did a poll and so far 13 people took the poll and 76.92% said they would be comfortable in a living room if it was set up professionally. And the general answer was ' i wouldn't mind it'. I think people would feel differently if it were to involve stripping down, so waxing, spray tans etc. But as i mentioned it would be EE's, makeup, nails etc they all seemed to think its a good idea.

Someone suggested you make sure its well signposted in the window etc or outside your house that they know its the house etc. As they said they would be worried about getting the wrong house and having to look for it. With my training kit i got a nice window poster advertising EE's. So if you have a nail poster, maybe pop that in the window or something.

I asked this question on another forum i often look at sometimes. I did a poll and so far 13 people took the poll and 76.92% said they would be comfortable in a living room if it was set up professionally. And the general answer was ' i wouldn't mind it'. I think people would feel differently if it were to involve stripping down, so waxing, spray tans etc. But as i mentioned it would be EE's, makeup, nails etc they all seemed to think its a good idea.

Someone suggested you make sure its well signposted in the window etc or outside your house that they know its the house etc. As they said they would be worried about getting the wrong house and having to look for it. With my training kit i got a nice window poster advertising EE's. So if you have a nail poster, maybe pop that in the window or something.

That's great feedback (would you mind telling me which site that was please? PM if we're not allowed to post on the forum).

I actually live above a shop, so having a sign wouldn't be possible...but I'm in a prime area so people generally know the street/address x

Hi Geeks!

Hope you're having a great weekend?

I'm a freelance/mobile nail technician, but I also give clients the option of coming to my place, however I don't have a spare room and have an extra table in my front room with all my materials/equipment/products already set up.

I often feel that it doesn't seem very professional by doing this (even though my set up is fairly professional) I think what I'm trying to say, is that I don't think its very professional as its part of my front room.

I've never had any clients complain but I'm not sure whether I would like having treatments in someones lounge in their family home...so I've started looking for somewhere to rent a space.

How do you clients feel and react towards your space and does it work well for you?

My home salon is in my hallway.... sounds mad doesn't it, especially as I live in a flat, but my clients love it and always takes them a minute or so to realise it's actually my home. I have a back entrance to the big chapel I live in, I great them at the door, wall them through the communal hallway, they enter a little area turn left and there is my home salon. The nice thing is they don't have to walk through my home, though that's often not a deal breaker for anyone. As long as you can create a beautiful, peaceful, clean space and you are good at what you do you'll retain clients and gain more. You're welcome to have a little look at my salon Nail and Beauty Salon in Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate I also mobile appointments.

xxxx

My home salon is in my hallway.... sounds mad doesn't it, especially as I live in a flat, but my clients love it and always takes them a minute or so to realise it's actually my home. I have a back entrance to the big chapel I live in, I great them at the door, wall them through the communal hallway, they enter a little area turn left and there is my home salon. The nice thing is they don't have to walk through my home, though that's often not a deal breaker for anyone. As long as you can create a beautiful, peaceful, clean space and you are good at what you do you'll retain clients and gain more. You're welcome to have a little look at my salon Nail and Beauty Salon in Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate I also mobile appointments.

xxxx

I don't believe thats in your corridor??? It looks MASSIVE! LOL...and it looks very well put together, very professional! I love it! Well done! xxx

xxxx

Can't believe that's your hallway either! It's lovely! Bigger than my front room!! Lol x

My home salon is in my hallway.... sounds mad doesn't it, especially as I live in a flat, but my clients love it[/url] I also mobile appointments.

xxxx
Great set up:)

Aww thanks guys :) the pictures probably make it look bit bigger than it is, but its a good space. There are three doors running off it, people always ask what they lead to.... two bedrooms and my kitchen/lounge, that's when they clock it's my home. I do tell them in my text and on my website that it's a HOME salon lol! It is a real versatile little space, it's rectangular and for us it was just a dead space. At one point we were going to turn it in to a little dining room, then a little snug (hubby had designs on it being a games room... not in his lifetime lol) but in the end claimed it for my home salon. I love it. The nice thing is as you walk in the front door, straight opposite is the loo, so this is great for clients to use and when I need to wash or fill up footspa or mani bowls.... its all separate to my living space. If I make drinks I just go through to my kitchen/lounge but all clients can see is the kitchen so really nice and private. Everyone comments on how quiet it is too, I usually play relaxing music in my bedroom, so they can hear it in the salon. I had a three hour appointment the other day for shellac fingers, toes and lash lift and tint. It's a great space, and finally i have a use for it! If I can make a hallway in to a treatment room, anyone can create a lovely space in to their home salon. I had a teacher in the other week and she commented on the fact that she loved the fact no one could see her and it was really private. I have a 7 year old son, a dog and a cat, as well as my hubby and no one ever suspects anyone is in unless i tell them, they can't believe how quiet they can be! I guess it's about making your space work, and luckily mine does... or so im told by my clients love 'em.

Aww thanks guys :) the pictures probably make it look bit bigger than it is, but its a good space. There are three doors running off it, people always ask what they lead to.... two bedrooms and my kitchen/lounge, that's when they clock it's my home. I do tell them in my text and on my website that it's a HOME salon lol! It is a real versatile little space, it's rectangular and for us it was just a dead space. At one point we were going to turn it in to a little dining room, then a little snug (hubby had designs on it being a games room... not in his lifetime lol) but in the end claimed it for my home salon. I love it. The nice thing is as you walk in the front door, straight opposite is the loo, so this is great for clients to use and when I need to wash or fill up footspa or mani bowls.... its all separate to my living space. If I make drinks I just go through to my kitchen/lounge but all clients can see is the kitchen so really nice and private. Everyone comments on how quiet it is too, I usually play relaxing music in my bedroom, so they can hear it in the salon. I had a three hour appointment the other day for shellac fingers, toes and lash lift and tint. It's a great space, and finally i have a use for it! If I can make a hallway in to a treatment room, anyone can create a lovely space in to their home salon. I had a teacher in the other week and she commented on the fact that she loved the fact no one could see her and it was really private. I have a 7 year old son, a dog and a cat, as well as my hubby and no one ever suspects anyone is in unless i tell them, they can't believe how quiet they can be! I guess it's about making your space work, and luckily mine does... or so im told by my clients love 'em.

I don't know how you do it! D' you know what, you've totally inspired me...I'm gonna change my lounge around asap, and fix all the things that I don't like and sort out my home salon (even if its in my lounge)...No more excuses of no space...if you can have a salon in your corridor, I can have one in my lounge!

Thank you xxxx

Go for it! You'll be surprised how far your imagination will go when you start planning and moving things around. I've had my salon since about July/August last year and even now I sometimes just stand in my 'studio' as I call it, and just look around and smile.

Post some pics up when you've done. Some people use room dividers too (I think as has been mentioned in this thread already). Also walk round places like The Range, Dunelm, Wilkinons etc and get some inspiration.

Good luck and enjoy ;) xxxx

Happyfeet, your setup is amazing! Very lovely.

Mummycat, i will PM you the site.

Im sitting here looking around my living room and thinking of ways i could fit a little area in. I am hoping to have it so that I can fold away the bed, and take down the room divider in the evening so my husband and son don't have to have it there 24/7. And just set it up before i have a client coming. I guess it cant hurt to look into it. Also if your thinking of a room divider, and happen to be quite crafty, i'm sure you can buy plain ones cheaper and jazz them up yourself. Thats what im thinking of doing. That way I can have it personal to me. Something like Jemma Makeup&Lash artist written on it or something.

xxxx

This s above amazing! So your son or husband never walk outside when you have clients around?

I could I have written this post (home salon in living room part) I have 2 kids a 3 year old daughter and 1 year old son and it gets crazy! Everyone I ask says my kids are so cute and they enjoy it! I'm still trying to find a room to rent somewhere though but for the past couple of months (since last year September) its been working.

I'm now having the same problem, I am currently working mobile but i want to offer home option too, as a few clients have asked if they can come to me instead as sometimes its just nice to get out of their house. I am used to the 'at home feel' as i'm usually just up someones dining table in the kitchen or dining room.

I was thinking about using my kitchen/dinner as i don't have a spare room ( 2 bed house) and i have a daughter. our house is pretty small so no much room in the living room either unless i do it right in the middle.

I was thinking of getting a little fold up nail table and possibly a room divider to cut off the kitchen part and i have a pretty little garden which would be a nice view though the patio doors. and i can pack it all away at the end of the day.

The major worry for me is waxing and spray tanning which i want to offer in a month or 2 ( currently training)
I am not sure if waxing in a kitchen or dining room is appropriate? i think i could just about fit a portable couch in the kitchen and i will have a room divider so kitchen part is not so obvious and i have blinds on the patio doors i can close so will not be visible to outside but my partner was saying to have the bedroom for the waxing and tanning. There is space on the one side but is that even more weird? going in to someones bedroom for waxing or tanning treatment? i am just so undecided i take my business seriously but don't want to seem unprofessional but at the mo i'm doing them here there any everywhere ( ive even done a set of nails sat on the floor in someones living room up their coffee table and i feel uncomfortable & unprofessional sometimes like that.

My house is small but neat and tidy and i think it could work but i want some other opinions if a couch will fit is the kitchen/dinner the best for everything as long as i can keep blinds closes and doors or do it in my bedroom? i will obviously try and make any space i use as nice as possible just cant hide the bed and chest of draws haha..

Last edited:
I've just left a salon and also thinking of using my front room as a treatment space! Would be an up and down salon lol. Had a few clients from the salon come as they were desperate and they've said they really like how it make me seem lie a welcoming open person :)
Here's a few pics I know I need a lot of work but this is te general jist of what it will look like put the bed up just to show lol x ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1375092940.749401.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1375092958.180696.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1375092967.438876.jpg

I've just left a salon and also thinking of using my front room as a treatment space! Would be an up and down salon lol. Had a few clients from the salon come as they were desperate and they've said they really like how it make me seem lie a welcoming open person :)
Here's a few pics I know I need a lot of work but this is te general jist of what it will look like put the bed up just to show lol xView attachment 39267View attachment 39268View attachment 39269

Looks good KirstieLou, can I ask where you got your teal accessories from for example your teal rug and teal cushion?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

My set up has been in the dining room for the past 2 years, separated from each other by a screen. To be honest they rebook and they tell me they like it that it is comfortable and cosy....... it's actually me who is uncomfortable with the set-up. I'm paranoid my home is too messy in their opinion........ I won't cook eggs or spicy food because will the smell absorb in the house? Did my son leave his lego out and put the lego people on the shelf where I keep everything without me knowing, and OMG the client has just spotted it what will she think of me????????

and Blah blah blah, so I am renting a room now. I think I can relax about their opinions of me and concentrate on the treatments I'm providing.

I think it is an insecurity thing though. I really don't think my clients mind at all.

Looks good KirstieLou, can I ask where you got your teal accessories from for example your teal rug and teal cushion?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

All from wilkinson! Xx

Latest posts

Back