Home Salons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail creations

Reaction score
Im thinking of having a salon at home, all the people who have already got their salon at home where do you do your treatments,and did you find it strange having clients who you didnt know coming to your home?
Any advise at all would be great.
Thankyou.

hi

ive converted our dining room and thats gone into our conservatory as it was huge and way to big for a play room thats what i told the other half lol

most of my clients started off as friends and then they told their friends etc etc so really i only do via word of mouth which i find safer. i have advertised at the local scools and a local shop had a few weird calls and some where clients booked in and didnt turn up but nothing out of the ordinary,

word of mouth / recommendations is a better way thats what i find at least

hope thats helps

Thnks for your advise tracy.

check with the local council and your home insurance. different councils have different regulations and home insurance can be a bit funny if you don't tell them.

I have sectioned off an area of my living room which is off the entrance hallway so my clients don't get to see the rest of my house or the kitchet/dining / conservatory area which is wear we all live anyway. That way I keep that private and can get on and do my work fairly unintereupted.

We use 3 of the spare bedrooms and one of the bathrooms upstairs at my mums house, it started off as just using my old bedroom, then we got so much stuff we had to expand :eek:
As soon as clients come in the front door they go straight up the stairs and we mainly use one treatment room for nails/Dermalift with a seating area too then the other rooms have got our spray tan cubicle and machine in one and the other is used as an office/reception/storage although we have started overspilling into the garage now too!
We had an offer from a local gym the other day to rent some rooms and I think we are going to have to move as soon as we have enough customers to pay the rent!

just started up myself in our spare bedroom, doing family and friends at moment but find you can shut of the rest of the house off (so they dont see the mountain of washing thats building up in the bedroom):eek: . while i'm on does any one know a bio sculpture tech in the barnsley or rotherham area that does sculptures cant do them on myself! :| (or tips on how to get forms on your own fingers!!!!!)

adele waterlily said:
just started up myself in our spare bedroom, doing family and friends at moment but find you can shut of the rest of the house off (so they dont see the mountain of washing thats building up in the bedroom):eek: . while i'm on does any one know a bio sculpture tech in the barnsley or rotherham area that does sculptures cant do them on myself! :| (or tips on how to get forms on your own fingers!!!!!)

I usually use the reusable ones once they are snapped in place they are much easier!easier to do a few at a time too.

OMG your mum must have a big house!!!!

I am going to use one of the rooms in my Cellar.

Caz xxx

vicxzy said:
We use 3 of the spare bedrooms and one of the bathrooms upstairs at my mums house, it started off as just using my old bedroom, then we got so much stuff we had to expand :eek:
As soon as clients come in the front door they go straight up the stairs and we mainly use one treatment room for nails/Dermalift with a seating area too then the other rooms have got our spray tan cubicle and machine in one and the other is used as an office/reception/storage although we have started overspilling into the garage now too!
We had an offer from a local gym the other day to rent some rooms and I think we are going to have to move as soon as we have enough customers to pay the rent!

Hi,

I use a spare room in my house - the first room into the house on the right so they don't go past any of my rooms to get into it.

I have an office job in the daytime and have designed my brochure so that next to my mobile telephone number I have "appointments only" and also "(after 6pm only)".

I do it that way so that people know they should not just turn up and also I hopefully won't get too many calls through the day.

HTH

caz3 said:
OMG your mum must have a big house!!!!

I am going to use one of the rooms in my Cellar.

Caz xxx

Theres just her and my dad left as both me and my brother have moved out now so she has lots of room luckily for me!
I will start giving them some rent when I start earning enough not paid back all my equipment and training yet tho so they are happy to let me use their house until Im in profit!
Cellar is such a good idea, I wish I had a cellar!:(
Ive got a dog at my house too so I didnt do it here in case people didnt like dogs!

The Little Beauty Room said:
Hi,

I have an office job in the daytime and have designed my brochure so that next to my mobile telephone number I have "appointments only" and also "(after 6pm only)".

I do it that way so that people know they should not just turn up and also I hopefully won't get too many calls through the day.

HTH
Good thinkin.....

Very good sounds like you are doing well.

Yes my Cellar is great it has two large rooms and lots of walk in cubard space, ok one room is a games room for all the kids when they use it LOL!!!!

My room I also use as my ironing room and a few other things but I just move this if I get a client which at the mo is not often :( . More than ever I am ironing in it LOL!!!!!

It is quite a good size room maybe 12x12 with a big old open fire place which can be used but I do not use that one we have another 5 in the house.

Caz xxx

vicxzy said:
Theres just her and my dad left as both me and my brother have moved out now so she has lots of room luckily for me!
I will start giving them some rent when I start earning enough not paid back all my equipment and training yet tho so they are happy to let me use their house until Im in profit!
Cellar is such a good idea, I wish I had a cellar!:(
Ive got a dog at my house too so I didnt do it here in case people didnt like dogs!

the only draw back working from home is somehow you cant quite switch off from work, its always there, and some clients think its ok to call you on a sunday.the bathroom always has to be clean and the loo. you can bet the day you havent cleaned is when a client will need them, not hard though unless you have small children! in australia you need to get council permission as well as neighbours written permission to operate. the hours are only mon to fri 9-5pm, no more than two clients at a time, no employees other than family plus your work areas limited. public liabilitys a must.i screen all calls on sundays so im not bothered. i think it takes longer to build up clientelle as opposed to a salon as you dont have walkin clients. i dont have my address on my business cards as i dont want people just turning up. i never take male clients. most of my clients are word of mouth and most know each other. i wont rebook any rude clients or people who dont show up, which i like being able to do, its my house after all!compared to working in a salon i find my clients are much nicer, maybe its because their a guest in my house. definitley stick to set working hours and dont budge on them. i always keep a proffesional attitude, dress well and keep up to date with everything.

caz3 said:
Very good sounds like you are doing well.

Yes my Cellar is great it has two large rooms and lots of walk in cubard space, ok one room is a games room for all the kids when they use it LOL!!!!

My room I also use as my ironing room and a few other things but I just move this if I get a client which at the mo is not often :( . More than ever I am ironing in it LOL!!!!!

It is quite a good size room maybe 12x12 with a big old open fire place which can be used but I do not use that one we have another 5 in the house.

Caz xxx

That sounds soooo cosy!maybe you should market your business on that?

Thankyou all so much for your advise still have lots to think about.

Thanks well when I get going and get cards my name will be
The Nail Cellar

Thought that was quite good.:biggrin:

Caz xxx

vicxzy said:
That sounds soooo cosy!maybe you should market your business on that?

caz3 said:
Thanks well when I get going and get cards my name will be
The Nail Cellar

Thought that was quite good.:biggrin:

Caz xxx

Thats cute and original!
People will associate it with expensive wine cellars and glam nights out hopefully!

LOL!!!!

Yes maybe I will post a few photos of it when I get time.

Caz xxx

vicxzy said:
Thats cute and original!
People will associate it with expensive wine cellars and glam nights out hopefully!

Latest posts

Back