Home study - how does it work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jane

Scratchers Geek
Reaction score
Had a call today from a young girl asking if I could watch her perform a manicure & pedicure, write a report, take a few photos and send it in to her "tutor". Now I use " " because she's doing a home study course with the BSY Group http://www.bsygroup.co.uk/section_details.asp?section_id=h
She also asked if I'd assess (her word) her do waxing and make-up - no chance, know nothing about it.
It's a requirement of the courses that she's doing to be 'assessed' by someone to enable her to get insurance.
I've checked their site and they offer Beauty Therapy, Manicure & Pedicure and Nail Technician (all 3 systems) courses.
Who sets the standards,how does it/can it work?
Are these courses acceptable? Not to me they're not

Jane said:
Had a call today from a young girl asking if I could watch her perform a manicure & pedicure, write a report, take a few photos and send it in to her "tutor". Now I use " " because she's doing a home study course with the BSY Group http://www.bsygroup.co.uk/section_details.asp?section_id=h
She also asked if I'd assess (her word) her do waxing and make-up - no chance, know nothing about it.
It's a requirement of the courses that she's doing to be 'assessed' by someone to enable her to get insurance.
I've checked their site and they offer Beauty Therapy, Manicure & Pedicure and Nail Technician (all 3 systems) courses.
Who sets the standards,how does it/can it work?
Are these courses acceptable? Not to me they're not

personally i wouldnt do it - you will get the comeback if owt went wrong - especiallly if you not qualified to assess people - im sure you need a separate cert for this

Isn't it bizarre that these businesses just pop up and claim all manner of things!!

There is no proof of where their 'qualification' is accepted; no evidence of the level of training or who does it; as a practical skill, there is no acceptable method of assessment; the variety of courses is a trifle strange!

Unfortunately, there is no legislation to stop or regulate those who offer 'qualifications'. Their price is quite low so I can see how it would attract some people, but what a shame!

Education of the public in what is an acceptable qualification, or qualification method, is the only thing that will change this type of approach

Unfortunately there are more & more of these home study courses popping up, ENUK, ICS, OLC International, UK open Learning..... :(
One of the courses credited with a diploma from BSY include:

"Course syllabus.

Subjects included in the course.

Disorders and diseases of the nail
Sanitation, disinfectant & Sterilization
Acrylic Nails & Tips
Application & Removal
Gel Nails
Dealing with imperfections
Curing
Cleaning the work area
Fibreglass Nails
Repairs & maintenance

Correspondence course of 7 lessons
]"

It may appear quite low in price at first glance but it's quite deceptive because further expenses are incurred, a nail trainer & two practical training for insurance purposes.
Who are these trainers & what products are being supplied, who oversees students first introduction to the chemicals we use.
I can only see such courses as being detrimental to this industry that many of us are trying so hard to protect.

To be able to assess you need a proper certificate. her school of training should provide these assessors to observe her it shouldnt be down to the student to find her own way. i would sugest that you tell her to get a refund and go on a proper course. not her fault this is the trouble with these companies popping up everywhere, try and point her in the right direction and tell her about this site.

Latest posts

Back