Home vs Shop Salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClaireL

Reaction score
Hi All

I was wondering what the benefits of a home salon vs shop/highstreet salon were?

Ive seen a shop with two rooms for a reasonable rate around the corner from where I live - going to see it tomorrow but wondered what geeks initial opinions were?

Sorry should have said I did a quick search but couldnt find any salon vs home salon ?!

One tip I would give as I worked mobile/home and then got my shop was make sure you have a good client base first, there is a shop next door to mine opened a month before mine and they didn't have a big client base and they are dead even on a Saturday I am appointment only and I'm booked out a month in advance , with my returning clients, my shop is really a base I don't do walk ins, I x

I worked self employed in a salon for a year and now work from a log cabin in my garden...

Pros for home salon:

* No rent after initial set up costs
* Convenience of being able to carry on your day between clients
* Can take last minute appointments by just moving into another room
* In my situation I'm in a safer environment (the salon got broken into and was in a terrible area of town)
* No travel expenses getting to and from a salon.
* Clients have said they prefer to come to me for the 1 on 1 time - some people (like myself!) feel uncomfortable in a big salon - particularly if you have to have your nails done etc in a window of a shop!
* No employees means no potential loss of stock or clients

Cons of home salon

* No work colleagues - I'm only feeling the pull 9 months on of feeling "out of the loop" with life - no feeling part of a team - not seeing regular people day I'm and day out. Yes you have your regulars but they're not going to remember you we're going on a date that night for example so no day to day chat (if you get me?!)
* No second opinions from colleagues but this is where Salon Geek is a life saver!
* No passing trade
* As above you really need some form of client base although oddly my client base has grown since leaving?!
* If you were having a home salon actually in your home it means having to have visitors come through certain areas of your home and having to keep the place constantly professional looking in those areas.
* Potential complaints from neighbours in certain areas if you're short of parking spaces outside.

Hope this helps x

Last edited:
Hi ladies

Thanks for your messages

These are the two things I worry/doubting one is I am new so no real customer base at all to work from - although I am building abit of a stir with people signing up for opening day offers
Secondly whilst the building outside is nice the building next to it looks to be falling down its boarded up ( I know as I drove past this evening) the area is good 3 local schools student base nearby and town is about 10 mins away but Im not sure if this would put customers off?

Thanks

Claire

Latest posts

Back