Honey blonde??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jotommo

Reaction score
hi geeks, need help pls,
my customer wants honey blonde and i'm not sure what to use?? i use wella koleston, i was thinking of 8/0 and maybe a touch of 8/3, with 9% ??? its on a base 4-5.
any help much appretiatted xxxxxxxxx

I find it really difficult when people ask for honey/caramel etc cos your opinion on honey could be different from hers!! I love 8/7 and 8/07, not a big fan of the /3's but its personal opinion. Is it a full head tint?my friend is a base 5/6 and I did highlights with 6% bleach and 8/7 and 9%, came out lovely. :D

thanks, yeah its full haed tint, she also wants bleach highlights through it!
i did think of 8/7 as i don't really want it gold.
another thought was just do the 8/0 and 9% and the highlights will create a contrast anyway!!??!!:confused:
mmmmmmm i also hate the honey/caramel thing!!!
thanks for your reply!! xx

I was gonna say if she is so dark then probably 8/0 would be warm enough! Even just put a spot of 8/07 or 8/03 (does that even exist? I really dont like /3s so dont use them ahrdly ever) in it. but the bleachy highlights will give it a wee bit of a something different too..sounds nice. :) I heard the other day someone on here talking about highlights that were toffee and butter or something like that and i was thinking arrrggghhhhhh I would just get so mixed up with things like that! I usually ask them to pick out someones hair from a magazine or pick out from the shade chart. Much easier to know exactly what they want, even if it is pretty unacheivable at least you know totally what they want. Good luck xxx

If she has no color on her hair, and really is between a 4-5, I hope she understands the maintenance involved here, if it comes out properly. She's looking at every 4-6 weeks touch up on her roots, and if you do bleach highlights on top of that, every three months, IMHO.

With hair at that natural level, she is going to pull warmth, alot of it. Caramel would be a better choice for her, and would grow out nicer. If you were to do caramel, i would do 10/8 and 40 volume (forgive me, not sharp on the %) the next step up from 9% (12%), and do a bleach highlight quickly with 20 volume (6%?). The 9% you mentioned (30 volume?)will not lift enough. Or, just do the caramel highlights with the 10/8 and 40, leave her base color as it is, and do slices.

Let us know what you decide, and how it comes out :)

Best :hug:

is it a full head tint or hi-lites / if its hi-lites id use 12.0 and 12% on a base that dark , to bring it up to a warm 8 .
ive used 8 + 9% on dark bases before and it brings it up like jamacian ginger cake ! and using 12% brings it up more but is still a little gingerry , like playsand. .1 is a bit of a wasted effort on dark hair , but clynols graphite mixer is good
I know om a bit of a wimp - but when stuck between a rock and a hard place , i always do a mix of foils with a tint or just foils .
* yep , i read your other post a tint of 8 /0 or even 8.07 with 9% and bleach foils will be fab as the bleach will break it up and add some neutrality
* jamacian ginger cake and ice cream!

Idont think you will be able to get a honey type blonde with just the tint , but with the hi-lites i think it will be a good mix.

Last edited:
she rang e today and broke the wonderful news that she puta semi on it 3 weeks ago so god knows what would of happened?!? :eek:
looks like its gonna have to be foils and bleach/toner..
AAAAARGH!! i hate my job sometimes.... :irked:

I quite enjoy trhese challenges!!!

Without sounding ridiculous I don have a huge experience of using tints to lift hair, like a full head tint, my trainer used to just used similar base shade or one shade up then loads of bleach highlights to lighten dark hair, so its good to read these posts. :) xx

Jotommo- I somehow knew this might have been a disaster!

Glad she at least called you back with the info you requested.

All the best :D

omg could you imagin the hassle of starting it, then thinkin ... er??? wtf???
jeez. i wish i didn't have to do it :irked:

I'm a base 3 / 4, and had 44/44 underneath and then 66/44 9% on top and then wanted a golden med blonde with highlights so I let alot of it fade out for several weeks 1st then I stripped out my colour, then got full head tint with 12/1 and 40vol for 60mins, then full head meche with bleach and 6% then flooded with Colour touch 2/3 88/07 and 1/3 77/07 to tone down the rest.
It turned out fab, although my hair is fine and breaks easily so now the ends are light I will not touch the rest of my hair with beach. Only had a little breakage too thank god, but then previously to the /44 it had been virgin hair but I hate my hair dark! The joys of being a hairdressser lol. If it was a client I would just point out like previously mentioned about the roots and maintenance as it's a big upkeep and it will be hard on the condition of her hair. Also check how much colour even before the semi that she has had in it and do some test pieces incase her hair can't handle it :)
Good luck x

You could talk her out of it --- the only person I do these kind of highlights on is my mom-- she loves it, and I have to sneak an inbetween color in there sometimes to please my eye.

If she hasn't been blonde before, all the reason to try talk her into something more natural, that will grow out nicer. Toning isn't always good, because it doesn't last very long. Look at her eyes, if they look caramel it should match that, IMHO.

I have talked people to a much softer color, having them like the results and be grateful they didn't go that route. It's the really young ones that see pop stars change their hair color on a weekly basis that think they can too. I had one teenager that kept insisting on me frying her hair with the blonde, her hair was breaking in my chair as I was consulting with her and I wouldn't do it. I saw her later at a restaurant with much lighter and uhm, less hair than I remembered and thought, thank goodness that's not my hand on her head.

Find out what may be going on in her life too, I have found 100% when a client wants to go drastic like that there is some kind of drama going on, all the more not to do it.

Make sure your consultation covers your a** completely :eek:

Latest posts

Back