Hoping for help for a client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NailsbyToni

Reaction score
(I just realized that most of you may be in Europe. Yours was the first forum I found where people were not bickering their heads off about this and that.)

Hi all. New to the forum but not to nails (and not new to forums in general). :D I've been licensed since 1992, so I've used many different things. I have a question that I know has changed in answer since then. Here's the disclaimer: I know nearly all techs would have declined service to this person (once you see the photo, you'll know what I mean.).

She's a friend and I offered to help her out some on the side. Basically, she either has MMA damaged nails, her thyroid condition has messed them up, or a combination of both.

My question is this: is there a product out now that actually works to help the client protect her natural (if damaged) nail? As you can see, I removed the old product she had on there (not my doing) and have been giving her regular manicures that include vitamin E oil, gently buffing and shaping (very gently), etc... I've recommended that she refrain from any acrylic/gel service for quite some time and to make sure she does a nightly routine of some kind of good oil/lotion on her nails at bedtime.

Is there anything else I can recommend to help her? Yes, she is seeing a doctor and right now, she has to trial the thyroid meds for 6 months (we are on month 2 now).

Thanks for your help!
Toni

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 367
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi hon! And welcome :)

I would have thought that lots of solar oil & a good hand Cream would be a starting point.

As her nails look quite sore, I personally wouldn't buff as this will only thin the remaining nail plate that she has (tempting as it may be to do so to initially improve the look of things)

Have you thought about IBX? Heaps of great threads on here if you search, many including before & after pics which speak for themselves :)

Alternatively there is the brand new CND RXx which has just launched & is aimed at repairing natural nails.

HTH xxx

Last edited:
I have just heard of IBX. Have you used it? Any thoughts on it, if so? Also, here in the states, we have something called Nail Tek (I,II,III, different treatment names). But Sally Beauty sells that so I am not sure how good something sold to the public is. I will look further into IBX though, as I await your reply.

Thanks!!

I know you mentioned the disclaimer but have also told her to see the doctor about those two yellow nails that look suspiciously like a fungal infection? I know she's your friend but if it is what I think it is and something happens you will be held liable and your insurance might not cover you as your license will specifically state no fungal infections.

Besides from that I think IBX treatments would help her a lot. You can register on Famous Nails website and order directly from them. I'd also get her on some Dadi Oil from them as well, it will help keep the skin and nail hydrated

I was going to mention the two yellow looking nails too.
I'm not very experienced and wouldn't know what to do here, besides suggesting a trip to the doctor to check there is no infection. Good luck and I hope you can get these nails appearing much healthier.

Believe it or not, it is NOT a fungal infection. :) That was the first thing I asked. That's actually damage from using poor salon products (MMA--I am not sure about Europe, but here, we have a LOT of salons that use dubious products that are quite popular, unfortunately). But her doctor did look at them and tested them (under nail swab) and declared them NOT a fungal infection at all but thickening, yellowing (I forgot to add that she is a menthol smoker), and separation from nail bed due to illness.

I do use Vitamin E oil on her, generously. I even warm it a bit and rub it in. :) And just for the record, I've zero problems turning away fungal infections. :)

And I just requested access for IBX... she's willing to pay if it means her nails get healthy again. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome to the site :)

I would agree with suggesting IBX. These nails are actually a perfect candidate for the treatment and you normally start seeing results immediately. You will need your normal nail lamp, whether uv or led, but you will also need a heat lamp too but they're normally inexpensive if you haven't already got one.

Also lots of quality cuticle oil such as Solar Oil or Dadi Oil. Applied at least 3 or 4 times a day.

Let us know how you get on and what you decide :)

I have had many success stories with IBX. Its the way to go!!

I have a client like this, she had loads of bloods and tests as renal issues can cause this too, all negative then had ibx, cured within two weeks. I'm not a nail tech, I'm medical but was amazed at the transformation.

Glad there is no infection, keep us posted on how you get on. Would be great to see the progress made.

I try to use good oils like from Natural stores. Right now, it's just Vitamin E oil. I'll switch her to tea tree or Argan or coconut soon.

As for heat, We are in Florida, land of eternal (OMG IT BURNS) sunshine. :) But seriously, why the need for the heat lamp and the UV?

(and seriously, I knew Europeans were awesome people, but you ladies have gone way above awesome with replying. I would have been snarked and booed out of the forum by now for daring to ask such a question, especially for as long as I've been licensed. Sometimes, I cannot stand my fellow Americans. :( )

I try to use good oils like from Natural stores. Right now, it's just Vitamin E oil. I'll switch her to tea tree or Argan or coconut soon.

As for heat, We are in Florida, land of eternal (OMG IT BURNS) sunshine. :) But seriously, why the need for the heat lamp and the UV?

(and seriously, I knew Europeans were awesome people, but you ladies have gone way above awesome with replying. I would have been snarked and booed out of the forum by now for daring to ask such a question, especially for as long as I've been licensed. Sometimes, I cannot stand my fellow Americans. :( )

We're not all Europeans, I'm your northern neighbor aka Canadian :p

Honestly, forget the natural store oils, get solar oil by CND or dadi oil from famous nails (makers of IBX). Go to the famous nails website and read about ibx, register so you can buy it, it will do wonders for your client.

I've seen many cases of mma but I'm still suspicious about those two nails because even with tests, results can come back negative but there's actually a fungus present. I'd put her on Vite 20 or Skin Source anti fungal solution. Both would do an excellent job of getting rid fungus if present. You should see results, if it's fungal, within a few weeks. I wouldn't treat them with the IBX until your positive its not a fungal infection. If the treatments do nothing then you can be sure its not fungal and go ahead with treating those nails as well but definitely start IBX treatments asap on all the other nails.

I'm pretty certain it isn't fungal but I will make that suggestion to her anyway. I am not sure if the photo shows it but those two nails are lifted from the nail bed half way down. That could also contribute to the yellowing (in addition to her smoking). I've registered for the IBX site, now it is just a matter of getting a hold of her and giving her this information. :)

And, HELLO Northern Neighbor!!

You need a heat source lamp positioned directly over the nails for up to 3 mins to help the IBX penetrate deep into the layers of the nail plate before curing in your normal lamp to lock the product in place. Sunlight will not do this, even in Florida lol My heat lamp cost me half what I charge for a Shellac application :) or if you have a lamp for applying Minx or other nail wraps that will also do the job.

Something like this is perfect http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Infrared-Lamp-100W-/251866748707

A heat source makes sense. I've got all of your suggestions in an email prepared for her. Hopefully she is receptive to all this help.

Thanks Ladies!

I'm pretty certain it isn't fungal but I will make that suggestion to her anyway. I am not sure if the photo shows it but those two nails are lifted from the nail bed half way down. That could also contribute to the yellowing (in addition to her smoking). I've registered for the IBX site, now it is just a matter of getting a hold of her and giving her this information. :)

And, HELLO Northern Neighbor!!

If she holds the cigarette with those two fingers then it can definitely explain the yellow color but it wouldn't explain the thickening of the nail plate (you mentioned with before). The lifting is onycholysis, this is where the nail plate lifts away from the nail bed it self. Keep the nail as short as possible, so no free edge, and make sure she applies her oil.

If she holds the cigarette with those two fingers then it can definitely explain the yellow color but it wouldn't explain the thickening of the nail plate (you mentioned with before). The lifting is onycholysis, this is where the nail plate lifts away from the nail bed it self. Keep the nail as short as possible, so no free edge, and make sure she applies her oil.

She does and yes, it is onycholysis. But we all believe, as her doctor said, it really has something to do with a long term undiagnosed thyroid issue (that they are now working on). That's one of the main signs of nails doing that. If it doesn't clear in 6 months or look like it is improving, I'll try another trail with her.

Right now, I'm keeping it as simple as possible. Yes, her nails are short. I shaped them as short as I could without hurting her.

Latest posts

Back