How busy should a stylist be after 1 year?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, legally can we just axe?
You have to go through disciplinary procedure, if they are not performing after consistent training then you can give them a warning and so on and so on.

For your original point about not giving her a target... she has absolutely nothing to ain for. She can probably get from you that she her numbers are not high enough, but she has no idea what she is expected to bring in.

I would give her a low target, £600 a week as a bare minimum, if she is under that then it's a problem. And a target to aim for closer to £1000.

She might think this is a lot of money if she isn't Trained to set targets. So you will need to help her break it down per day, and then how many cuts she needs to do in the day or how many colours.

You cannot expect her to achieve something of you haven't given her a goal which is the same as what haircuts was saying.

Hope this helps x

Generally, if she’s been there less than 2 years then yes, it’s not that difficult to fire someone. However, I would try to see if things can be turned around and put some effort into helping her improve.
You mentioned she’s an apprentice. Is she on any official training programme and are there any conditions attached?

If this stylist is on an apprenticeship then do you have an assessor /trainer who visits to check progress? This would be the person to discuss your concerns with.
Perhaps push things to get her through her assessments & written work to complete her qualification.
I don't think you have any obligation to keep someone on once they have completed their apprenticeship (correct me if I am wrong)
Once she has completed, wish her well and part company.

Hi all, legally can we just axe?

If you want to dismiss someone, there’s no specific process you must go through by law - as long as you do it fairly.
You can dismiss an employee if:

they’re incapable of doing their job to the required standard

they’re capable, but unwilling to do their job properly

they’ve committed some form of misconduct

the government website gives good information about how to make it fair etc.
https://www.gov.uk/dismiss-staff/dismissals-on-capability-or-conduct-grounds

just keep good written records and have a witness in any meeting so they can counter sign everything and then there's no she said this or she didn't say that.

I’m so glad i

It sounds as though she is a bit lacking in passion - I find hooking up with amazing stylists producing amazing work massively inspirational and it makes me want to learn. Also seeing how much can be earnt is hugely inspirational, one of my peers has just outright bought herself an audi, from just working her butt off. You could find out what she'd like to do more of - colouring, bridal hair, precision cutting - and reach out to some other influential stylists in your area and see if she could get some work experience assisting them, this might give her a bit ofzest for the job again?

Maybe get her to follow some inspirational stylists on social media (I'm assuming shes young and uses her phone?) and sign up to BehindTheChair's email newsletter - maybe go through some of their step-by-steps with her and encourage her to look at how she would do these colours and then how they actually do them.

Maybe get her interested in her own self promotion - I was in a salon for a long time where i felt very much like the older stylists were better than me and I wasn't good enough. Book her in a morning colour and and afternoon colour maybe, and see how she works with a bit more time. Maybe ask her how she'd feel about, only while she speeds up, asking her clients to come back at the end of the day or the morning of her day off to have their hair photographed? Because photos on social media bring in clients.

It sounds to me like she's lacking in inspiration, creativity and passion - but all of these things can be ignited. Ask her what her dream hair to create would be, get her to find images, research how to do it, what base to put it on, and then work on getting her to be able to create this on a client or friend or junior. The satisfaction will buoy up her confidence and once she's finished her project, she can find something else she wants to work on. Make her see why she chose to do hairdressing, whether it was to create beautiful hair or make people feel amazing about themselves - if it's not either of these, follow what was said about and take disciplinary action, as she's also not making money.

Latest posts

Back