How can I save my nails??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinkes1980

Reaction score
Hi I've popped across from hair, I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction...
My nails have in the last 12-18mths started to split horizontally and as time goes on its happening further down my nail I am Considering finding a nail tech to see if there's anything can be put over the nails, like gel or something to try and stop it happening, I've got to be careful what I have as I'm currently back in college doing my level 3 course and the tutors don't like is to have anything on our nails Thanks in advance!!

Hi

Are your nails splitting from the cuticle down or from the nail up?

Liz

Hi hun

It would be helpful to see a pic of your nails but my initial reaction would be to apply a Gel Soak off Polish to your nails for extra strength. You don't have to have a coloured polish you can have a clear coat just to add strength.

What ever you decide you need to make sure you keep it up as a one off application would do not good at all. Use lots of cuticle oil too. Apply before you go to bed at night and in the morning after your shower / bath etc.

xxx

You could have a clear gel put on your nails? Or try using a strengthener? I imagine as a hairdresser you have your hands in a lot of water? Might help to wear gloves, moisturise and use something like solar oil :)

Will try to upload photos, it's straight across the nail they go and it's getting further down the nail every time it happens, only seems to be thumb nails and middle nails, can't say I use them for anything like levering things open as am careful not to do this with my hands being close to people's heads I worry they will scratch their skin!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1324548726.383802.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1324548726.383802.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 202
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1324548763.822572.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1324548763.822572.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 188
Photos don't really show how bad they are, I've had to snip the side off my thumbnail as it was catching in everything. I do moisturise my nails quite a lot with my job and wear gloves too, and washing up at home or cleaning I wear gloves. Did manicure as part of hairdressing level 1 so it was drummed in to us the importance of looking after our hands, I have had a lot to contend with in my private life in the last 3 yrs so maybe it's affecting my nails? I know my hair has thinned out!! :-/

you defo need some protection on those my lovely.

They appear very thin so I would stay away from Acrylic overlays or buff off only gels.

Find yourself someone who can do Gelish, Shellac. Cuticle oil your nails and keep them short until the strength improves.

Are you taking any medication as this can have an affect on hair & nails?

Was on anti d's till recently, maybe that's the cause, I've come off the pill too as doc recommended it cos of my age! 31!! I'm really old! Haha! I've started taking supplements like b12 and eve primrose to improve my general well being. Hopefully all of these combined will help! Will look to see what's available near me! Thanks so much for your advice!!

As others mention you could try something that will help protect your nails until they get better. Shellac has worked WONDERS for me and I've only had 2 applications so far, it's really fantastic. My nails would often break on the sides and I could never really keep them long because they were very thin after having acrylics for over a year. Shellac kept my nails strong as they grew and it made them look WONDERFUL! It's as if there are not a single thing wrong with them.

Highly recommend you try it out and see if it helps with your issue :)

I've found a local salon that does it, will be booking in for after Xmas! Thanks again!!

Latest posts

Back