How clean is your routine?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
red35 said:
hi

how do mobile tech's manage cleaniness, as you are limited to what you can carry and havnt got access to barbicide when your out and about all day????
would love to know how others do this!!!!

jayne

Good infection control procedures can still be achieved when mobile. Hard Surface Disinfectant Wipes can be used for desk tops, and hard Surface Disinfectant Spray can be used for tolls in between clients (but best to wipe them first to remove debris).

You could use Rapid Instrument & Tool Disinfectant which is effective in just 5 mins - you could do this in your car in between clients. You'd just need a container that was sealable so fluid didn't leak.

nailsbydesign said:
Just been re-reading all the replies to this thread and I am amazed how many people are saying it is essential to wash your hands regularly before each client and to get the client to wash theirs, considering that I started a poll not that long ago on that very subject..... http://www.thenailgeek.com/chit-chat/29541-how-often-do-you-wash-your-hands.html?
and a lot of the very well known and respected geeks on here said they didnt wash them that often as it dries out the skin on the hands and can contribute to skin reactions and they only washed theirs a few times a day:eek: ....food for thought!

The point about frequesnt washing and sanitizing drying out hands is a good point. Make sure you buy products with skin conditioners to PREVENT DRYING. Mosts alcohol based sanitizers do not have this, so read the label carefully.

red35 said:
hi

how do mobile tech's manage cleanliness, as you are limited to what you can carry and haven't got access to barbicide when your out and about all day????

jayne

Hi Jayne,

I'm mobile and this is how I do it.

When I'm at the client, I spray tools with Chlori-Spray and then put them in Barbicide for the duration of the treatment.

Once the treatment is complete, I clean the instruments (i.e. wipe them down to ensure there is no debris etc.) and then spray with Chlori-Spray again and put them on a piece of tissue paper and leave them whilst packing up.

By the time I've packed everything away and I only need to pack my tools into my tool roll, I just wipe them down with the tissue paper and voilà they are clean and disinfected.

River

red35 said:
hi

how do mobile tech's manage cleaniness, as you are limited to what you can carry and havnt got access to barbicide when your out and about all day????

jayne

I have a number of sets of tools which I soak in barbicide and then when they are ready I dry them and put them in sterile pouches and seal them....I get these from economed.com
I have a home salon but this is something that anyone who is mobile can do too....otherwise use something like CND chlori spray on the tools and files when you finish each client.

min11 said:
I just went and had a peek as I hadn't noticed the topic before. I think the techs are saying they do wash their hands after clients but that in every day life when they aren't working they dont wash their hands that often, maybe I've missunderstood though.

Some actually said they are mingers and only wash them very occasionally even if they have clients all day and these are well respected techs and educators too.

nailsbydesign said:
Some actually said they are mingers and only wash them very occasionally even if they have clients all day and these are well respected techs and educators too.

No doubt this will change once the new COP comes into place!

marketing-geek said:
No doubt this will change once the new COP comes into place!

The theory most of them seem to live by is that washing your hands takes out the natural oils and no hand lotion or cream will replenish this loss. They also think that because the natural oils are being washed out that this can lead to more techs getting overexposure rashes as the natural oils when not washed out, act as a skin barrier to things like dust etc.
One geek even used the example of young children in countries not as developed as ours, (and one she visits regularly) that get filthy all the time, but never seem to get ill, as they have appear to have a better immune system than us. So her theory is that if we were LESS worried about cleanliness then maybe we would be better able to ward off infections, allergies etc.
I personally am not sure about all this, as I have an allergic family and it is genetic in our case so not washing our hands wouldnt make any difference there!!

nailsbydesign said:
The theory most of them seem to live by is that washing your hands takes out the natural oils and no hand lotion or cream will replenish this loss. They also think that because the natural oils are being washed out that this can lead to more techs getting overexposure rashes as the natural oils when not washed out, act as a skin barrier to things like dust etc.
One geek even used the example of young children in countries not as developed as ours, (and one she visits regularly) that get filthy all the time, but never seem to get ill, as they have appear to have a better immune system than us. So her theory is that if we were LESS worried about cleanliness then maybe we would be better able to ward off infections, allergies etc.
I personally am not sure about all this, as I have an allergic family and it is genetic in our case so not washing our hands wouldnt make any difference there!!

Interesting point of view...

1. good quality hand washes and sanitizers that are designed for use in the beauty industry should have added conditioners to prevent skin drying etc.

2. if children in 'less developed' countries always have dirty hands and apparently never get ill, why is the expected life expectancy so low, and child mortality so high?

I'm with you on this - good hand sanitizing procedure WILL PROTECT YOUR HEALTH AND REDUCE THE CHANCES OF CATCHING (& SPREADING) INFECTIOUS DISEASES.

Latest posts

Back