How clean is your routine?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
marketing-geek said:
30% of the population carry MRSA on their skin, so I would recommend thorough sanitizing to everyone.

This is an alarming statistic. Can you tell me where the information comes from please.

*Glynis* said:
This is an alarming statistic. Can you tell me where the information comes from please.

Glynis I have a couple of clients who are nurses and we got onto the subject of MRSA and they tell me that we all carry the bug, and they can't determine why it just comes out in some people. But like most illnesses it tends to affect the more vulnerable. When they told me this I was astounded, in fact my gob was totally smacked.

I take the whole MRSA thing VERY seriously now. I'll be totally honest I just thought it was a lot of hobbledy scare mongering by peeps with something to sell! Coming from 2 independent sources who are nurses I certainly sat up and took notice.

the way marketing geek has explained this doesn't come across as scary as other posts that i have read... and marketing geek just says that thorough hand washing is the way to go!

Scientists estimate that around 2 billion people, some 25-30 percent of the world's population, have a form of the bacteria Staphylococcus Aureus.

This is off the reuters website so marketing -geek is spot on:)

just found this.... http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/mrsa.htm
interesting reading... there's a lot more but this is a snippet...
Netdoctor.co.uk said:
Who gets infection with MRSA?
MRSA infections most often occur in patients in hospitals and are rarely seen among the general public. As with ordinary strains of Staphylococcus aureus, some patients harbour MRSA on their skin or nose without harm (such patients are said to be 'colonised'), whereas other patients may develop infections.
check out this link too... http://www.link.med.ed.ac.uk/ridu/Mrsa.htm

Thanks for the links Sandi :hug:

Lellipop said:
Thanks for the links Sandi :hug:
you're welcome x
it can't hurt any of us to find out as much information as possible about MRSA...
absolutely loads of results came back when I 'Googled' it :wink2:

To all geeks I am so sorry for using the incorrect terminology on my earlier post, I stand corrected!!!!

MRSA can survive on inanimate objects or surfaces such as linen, sinks, floors and even mops used for cleaning. Taken from the Netdoc site.

I totally agree that hand washing and sanitization should take place in a salon and do so myself.

However, I just think statistics like the 30% one are scare mongering. I am not saying it is not right, but I would be interested to know where the actual figure came from.

If you think about it, the quote above (together with the 30%) means you should never touch a supermarket tolley or basket handle, nor a door handle in a public place, never sit on a chair in a pub etc. with a short skirt on, lift button, and for gods sake don't touch money!!! We can all get a bit OTT on this one.

Good sanitization within a salon is a must (who wants to touch dirty hands), but the MRSA reference is going too far for those of us who live in a normal world where we are apparently going to come into contact with it daily.

*Glynis* said:

As you will see from other posts, it's a figure quoted by various sources - including science & medical journals and the Health protection Agency.

The bacteria is only a problem when it has an opportunity to get into the blood - ie. through a cut, an abrasion or the like.

This is in no way meant to be scare mongering. Just a warning to take necessary precautions.

CMRSA (that's the community aquired version of MRSA) is not common, but is on the increase. Surely it's better to be aware and take sensible precautions than to ignore the fact altogether?

*Glynis* said:
MRSA can survive on inanimate objects or surfaces such as linen, sinks, floors and even mops used for cleaning. Taken from the Netdoc site.

I totally agree that hand washing and sanitization should take place in a salon and do so myself.

However, I just think statistics like the 30% one are scare mongering. I am not saying it is not right, but I would be interested to know where the actual figure came from.

If you think about it, the quote above (together with the 30%) means you should never touch a supermarket tolley or basket handle, nor a door handle in a public place, never sit on a chair in a pub etc. with a short skirt on, lift button, and for gods sake don't touch money!!! We can all get a bit OTT on this one.

Good sanitization within a salon is a must (who wants to touch dirty hands), but the MRSA reference is going too far for those of us who live in a normal world where we are apparently going to come into contact with it daily.

I think I wrote a post very similar to this a while back. However I have changed my point of view entirely. Information is there for us to assimilate and then make a decision on whether a course of action is needed, or whether it should just be filed in the grey matter to be used at a later date.

There are certain areas in our life that we have control over and other areas that we don't. We have a responsibilty to our clients to prevent (or at least reduce as much as possible) the risk of cross contamination. It's a two way thing, I don't want to catch their bugs, and they don't want to catch mine. I've been given new information about clients washing their hands and I will be changing my sanitation routine.

I no longer believe that the statistic that was given is a scaremongering one, it is a fact. It just makes us more aware that throughout our daily lives we are constantly at risk to all sorts of things we never knew about. We live in a world full of bugs and pollutants and chemicals (good and bad) that may or may not affect us. Some things we can control and some things we can't. so let's not get alarmed about the things we can't control and let's take action about those that we can. The choice is yours.

You sum it up perfectly Sass:) x

cleanliness is next to godliness (plus a few good products) i'm gonna go OTT and resolve the dust issue at the same time, i'm getting quotes for separate oxygen tents for me, my client and the dog, it will be such a sterile enviroment clients will be immediately intimidated by my cleanliness and they will go to the NSS up the road just to feel like a human being once more :)

nailzoo said:
cleanliness is next to godliness (plus a few good products) i'm gonna go OTT and resolve the dust issue at the same time, i'm getting quotes for separate oxygen tents for me, my client and the dog, it will be such a sterile enviroment clients will be immediately intimidated by my cleanliness and they will go to the NSS up the road just to feel like a human being once more :)

LOL....You could get a new name for your self......" Nail Tech in a Bubble "

i soak all of my implements in barbecide after scrubbing them after EVERY client. I have a girl working with me now that just moved here and she couldnt believe that i sanitized, she said that she never did at her other salon and never knew she had to!!?!?!??! is it just me or is it common sense! Not to mention everyone should have learned the importance of sanitizing in school! :irked:

iluvOPI said:
i soak all of my implements in barbecide after scrubbing them after EVERY client. I have a girl working with me now that just moved here and she couldnt believe that i sanitized, she said that she never did at her other salon and never knew she had to!!?!?!??! is it just me or is it common sense! Not to mention everyone should have learned the importance of sanitizing in school! :irked:

Natasha you would be surprised by the number of techs and salon who dont sanitize their tools, What as shocked me is that their are salons out there that will nick the clients sidewall making it bleed but then will reuse the file on the next (victim) erm client :rolleyes:

Just been re-reading all the replies to this thread and I am amazed how many people are saying it is essential to wash your hands regularly before each client and to get the client to wash theirs, considering that I started a poll not that long ago on that very subject..... http://www.thenailgeek.com/chit-chat/29541-how-often-do-you-wash-your-hands.html?
and a lot of the very well known and respected geeks on here said they didnt wash them that often as it dries out the skin on the hands and can contribute to skin reactions and they only washed theirs a few times a day:eek: ....food for thought!

Here in Canada I use Accel Hydrogen Peroxide Disinfectant for hard surfaces and Accel Instrument Sterilizer Hydrogen Peroxide for my metal implements. This is a hospital grade sterilizer and disfectant and I am very happy with the system. Surfaces are wiped with Accel Hydrogen Peroxide wipe so I think I've covered all the bases. I definately don't want clients getting sick or my self, so I make sure that I use the best products to protect everyone!

hi

how do mobile tech's manage cleaniness, as you are limited to what you can carry and havnt got access to barbicide when your out and about all day????
would love to know how others do this!!!!

jayne

nailsbydesign said:
Just been re-reading all the replies to this thread and I am amazed how many people are saying it is essential to wash your hands regularly before each client and to get the client to wash theirs, considering that I started a poll not that long ago on that very subject..... http://www.thenailgeek.com/chit-chat/29541-how-often-do-you-wash-your-hands.html?
and a lot of the very well known and respected geeks on here said they didnt wash them that often as it dries out the skin on the hands and can contribute to skin reactions and they only washed theirs a few times a day:eek: ....food for thought!

I just went and had a peek as I hadn't noticed the topic before. I think the techs are saying they do wash their hands after clients but that in every day life when they aren't working they dont wash their hands that often, maybe I've missunderstood though.

Latest posts

Back