How did you begin with acrylics?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkle_girl

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I have been a cosmetologist for a couple years. I have always had a passion for nails and unfortunately, the place where I had been working didn't allow acrylics. :) I do mostly Shellac and Luxio gel polish services. I love love love nail art and have had so many people request acrylics that I am VERY excited to move forward, as the place I am at now permits them.
I like CND products and have been looking for a Retention class. The closest one is 7 hrs from me (Master Architect) and scheduled towards the end of May. I have spoken with my local education ambassador and she said she did offer personal classes as well.
Seeing how I haven't touched acrylics in a couple years, which direction should I go? I had questioned jumping into a Master class, but was reassured that it does have a skill level range and with my salon experience, I should do fine. I know that patience and practice will eventually result in speed and fluency, but I would like to be in a place where I feel confident to start full sets and rebalancing.
I have never used a drill (they didn't offer training in my school for that), so that is another area of concern. Do you have to use them? I want to, but right now I'm kind of intimidated by them. :Scared: lol
Any advice you can offer in terms of which training you think would better suit me, how you got started, when you felt comfortable, what you wish you did or didn't do, etc is much appreciated. Maybe I'm just over thinking the situation.....I tend to do that on certain things. :o
Thanks so very much!

I would like to be in a place where I feel confident to start full sets and rebalancing.
I have never used a drill (they didn't offer training in my school for that), so that is another area of concern. Do you have to use them? I want to, but right now I'm kind of intimidated by them. :Scared: lol
Any advice you can offer in terms of which training you think would better suit me, how you got started, when you felt comfortable, what you wish you did or didn't do, etc is much appreciated. Maybe I'm just over thinking the situation.....I tend to do that on certain things. :o
Thanks so very much!

Thanks for posting this. I am intimidated by acrylics. I don't feel comfortable doing fill-ins and am not comfortable with drill. Like you I would love to hear others input.
Tammy

When i first started with liquid and powder i struggled ALOT :Scared:!! I am CND trained and have never used another system but i just couldnt get them to look right but couldnt work out where i was going wrong. Eventually i took a 1-2-1 class with my EA and it was like a row of lightbulbs going on all at once. We concentrated on the things i needed to, it was specifically tailored to me! I now love L&P and i am now a CND Grand Master! If you are already CND trained, why not to a couple of hours 1-2-1 to get back in the swing of things before embarking on a master class.
Good luck xx

When i first started with liquid and powder i struggled ALOT :Scared:!! I am CND trained and have never used another system but i just couldnt get them to look right but couldnt work out where i was going wrong. Eventually i took a 1-2-1 class with my EA and it was like a row of lightbulbs going on all at once. We concentrated on the things i needed to, it was specifically tailored to me! I now love L&P and i am now a CND Grand Master! If you are already CND trained, why not to a couple of hours 1-2-1 to get back in the swing of things before embarking on a master class.
Good luck xx

Thank you for your response. Right now, I am not CND trained. I want to work with their acrylic system as I hear so many wonderful things about the product. I've watched all of their videos on their site and also their youtube channel thinking it would be a good "prep" for a class. I use Shellac and some of their other products and like them very much....plus they have a great reputation!
I had been looking for a class since last summer and hadn't been able to find anything. The closest one is 7 hours away from me and not until the end of May. I had contacted my EA to see if they offered private classes or knew of any others in the works.
I guess I'm trying to figure out the "best" way to go. I love the idea of taking the Master Architect class (despite the travel :rolleyes: lol), but wonder if just doing private classes with my EA would be better. With the exception of learning the basics in school, I haven't really touched acrylics and as I've said, a drill wasn't even in our curriculum. I want to be a sponge and soak up as much info as I can. :D
Does everyone feel like this when starting out in acrylics?? lol :eek:

When I decided to "do" nails, I looked into the courses my local college provided but quickly realised I hated those sorts of enhancements and believed there must be something better out there. I wanted to make sure I trained with a company that gave first rate education using amazing products. I spent some time researching on the Internet and stumbled across salon geek. CND kept being mentioned over and over in different places, so like you I watched the videos, plus ones from other people like Holly (Fingernailfixer). I realised I only wanted to train with CND and decided, for me, it was most definitely the only option. It was the best thing I ever did. Their education is sensational, and I can directly compare as at the same time as doing my L&P I was sitting my NVQ level 2 in Beauty Therapy with what was the most respected tutor, yet it paled into insignificance to my training I received from my Creative Academy, and that really isn't an exaggeration.

What else I will say about CND/Sweetsquared is the aftercare and support. There is ALWAYS someone that will help you, offer advice, guidance etc, and I have never come across a company so easy to deal with and help out. Don't worry about efiles/drills, you won't need to deal with them with CND as you are taught to apply enhancements in such a way that they look natural and require minimum filing.

It may be a long way to travel, but it is most definitely worth it, if you have the passion and dedication, it is an investment in your future, not just a course, and yes, I was very daunted before I started on the course, but they make you feel so at ease and supported, that everything just slots into place.

Best of luck, you sound like you are taking the right steps xxxx

Thanks for responding! :cool:
I have no issue travelling, if that is what I need to do to move forward. Hubby is very supportive which helps so much! :wink2: I guess I was wondering if taking one on one classes with my EA would be necessary?? Do most people feel good to go after the actual class?

Thanks for responding! :cool:
I have no issue travelling, if that is what I need to do to move forward. Hubby is very supportive which helps so much! :wink2: I guess I was wondering if taking one on one classes with my EA would be necessary?? Do most people feel good to go after the actual class?

Having hubby's support is a wonderful help, it really does make a huge difference ;). I will openly admit that I am an OCD sufferer who is incredibly anally retentive about the nails I produce ;) clients are happy to say this us why they come to me, which makes us both chuckle. I can't say of after your training you feel ready to do clients, as for me, I am a perfectionist so I wasn't HAPPY to do clients, although the CND training enabled me to produce enhancements far better than anything on offer locally to me.

I guess it depends on your self confidence. If you have good self confidence and performed well on your training, then there is no reason when you shouldn't charge full price taking regular clients after you are qualified. Like I said though, I am a perfectionist and for me I wasn't comfortable, but that by none means is me saying to behave like me xxxx

Having hubby's support is a wonderful help, it really does make a huge difference ;). I will openly admit that I am an OCD sufferer who is incredibly anally retentive about the nails I produce ;) clients are happy to say this us why they come to me, which makes us both chuckle. I can't say of after your training you feel ready to do clients, as for me, I am a perfectionist so I wasn't HAPPY to do clients, although the CND training enabled me to produce enhancements far better than anything on offer locally to me.

I guess it depends on your self confidence. If you have good self confidence and performed well on your training, then there is no reason when you shouldn't charge full price taking regular clients after you are qualified. Like I said though, I am a perfectionist and for me I wasn't comfortable, but that by none means is me saying to behave like me xxxx

Well I am also a perfectionist and I think it's both a blessing and a curse! lol I completely understand the "able to" and "happy with" comment. I'm sure this will be something that I will struggle with as I can aaaalways pick apart my work even if the client thinks something is fabulous. I just leave a mental marker for the next time so I can tweak my technique.
I am just so excited to start this adventure....I've been wanting to since I got out of school and just couldn't do them in the salon I was in.

Well I am also a perfectionist and I think it's both a blessing and a curse! lol I completely understand the "able to" and "happy with" comment. I'm sure this will be something that I will struggle with as I can aaaalways pick apart my work even if the client thinks something is fabulous. I just leave a mental marker for the next time so I can tweak my technique.
I am just so excited to start this adventure....I've been wanting to since I got out of school and just couldn't do them in the salon I was in.

Marvellous! You sound so keen which is fantastic. What I have learnt from here and experience is, if you aren't 100% happy with the work you produce due to perfectionism, keep it to yourself and like you say, make a mental note for next time.

I think you'll do well, keep on your current path, never lose sight of your aspirations, and always pick a great team to be a part of, which I think you most definitely have with Sweetsquared/CND. Big hugs and best wishes, I look forward to seeing your work xxx

Latest posts

Back