How did you find business overall over Christmas?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracy1976

Reaction score
Did it live up to your expectations ?

I found it quite quiet. I was expecting it to be super busy.
How was yours?

It's definitely lost the buzz, I think online and lots of electrical tools were clients can do it all has effected the salons. I was busy but if I look back 5 years ago it was loads busier.

So this was my 2nd Christmas in my salon.
I doubled on last year. But still wasn't full stretch. Didn't open extra very much. Or stay late particularly. Roll on Christmas 2016.

So this was my 2nd Christmas in my salon.
I doubled on last year. But still wasn't full stretch. Didn't open extra very much. Or stay late particularly. Roll on Christmas 2016.

to double on last year is fabulous!

I had a great Christmas did a brief check and takings were up by about 40% on last year... and that's after chopping out facials massages and nails early 2015.. im pretty delighted

I did the same this December as last December, the only difference being I had 8 days off after an operation at the beginning of the month and s whole week off over Christmas whereas last year I worked most days.

Last edited:
I did the same this December as last December, the only difference being I had 8 days off after an operation at the beginning of the month and s whole week off over Christmas whereas last year I worked most days.
That means you did way better this year then lol!

Hope your better xx

I have no idea if I was better than last year lol I will look into that tho! o_O

Quieter than last year but I did have way more time off anyway. There wasn't ridiculous demand though to be honest but I still did well x

Hi everyone and happy new year - first post of 2016 for me! It was my 3rd Xmas, 1st one had only been open 5 months so not much to write home about as still trying to build clientele, last year better but by no means what it should be. I just ran the reports to compare for this year and I was 47% up on last Decembers takings and my best months takings to date so really happy with that and feeling proud that the hard work of the last 2.5 years is beginning to pay off. Still lots of room for growth though as still a few empty slots each day and also seemed to have a record number of no shows and last minute cancellations this December which is really unusual for me, 6 Xmas eve, (1 no show and 5 cancellations), all regular clients too, I was fuming but luckily got lots of last minute calls so was able to fill most slots but it's still not on especially as we were all geared up and thought we knew exactly who was in. will seriously consider taking deposits for Xmas and NYE next year.
This week is looking rubbish although I had no bookings today and yet it ended up being a good day for walk ins and also got a deposit paid for a pamper party in Feb so you never can tell!
Sending positive vibes to everyone for 2016! [emoji171][emoji92][emoji93]

Hi everyone and happy new year - first post of 2016 for me! It was my 3rd Xmas, 1st one had only been open 5 months so not much to write home about as still trying to build clientele, last year better but by no means what it should be. I just ran the reports to compare for this year and I was 47% up on last Decembers takings and my best months takings to date so really happy with that and feeling proud that the hard work of the last 2.5 years is beginning to pay off. Still lots of room for growth though as still a few empty slots each day and also seemed to have a record number of no shows and last minute cancellations this December which is really unusual for me, 6 Xmas eve, (1 no show and 5 cancellations), all regular clients too, I was fuming but luckily got lots of last minute calls so was able to fill most slots but it's still not on especially as we were all geared up and thought we knew exactly who was in. will seriously consider taking deposits for Xmas and NYE next year.
This week is looking rubbish although I had no bookings today and yet it ended up being a good day for walk ins and also got a deposit paid for a pamper party in Feb so you never can tell!
Sending positive vibes to everyone for 2016! [emoji171][emoji92][emoji93]

My no shows and last minute cancellations were ridiculous too!!

I did slightly better this December than last year. However it is now completely dead. My regulars are all booked in but it is just so quiet.
I use the time to do books, advertising etc.
Looking to work somewhere else for a couple of days a week to cover rent. Will see what happens.
I'm definitely not in the right place. Not Main Street. Hairdresser only does older ladies too, she seems to turn away young girls with long hair. !!!

Only had one No Show though, so that was good.

Well done @daydreams01. It sounds like it's all going in the right direction. We went vat registered in January last year. I kept thinking that if we don't go vat registered we have no incentive to grow the business. I now have to do the adding up for the past 12 months to see how we grew.

Historically I never worked Christmas eve. I do all my Christmas shopping then. When my daughter started working for me she decided to work. She also had 5 no shows or last minute cancellations. There I was mooching around Milton Keynes with my phone ringing and her reporting yet another no show. Because of our location walk ins are non existent.

So 2 years ago we stopped working Christmas eve. Clients can't believe it but it works very well for us. I also talk to my clients about people who don't turn up or cancel last minute. I've actually dumped a couple of these clients and I tell my clientele in a vague "I won't be booking her in again" type of way. It makes them think. We also put on our December newsletter that appointments are our business and that if you need to cancel please give us at least 24 hours notice or a charge may be incurred. The results? No no shows. All cancellations were more than 24 hours notice and we managed to fill all gaps.

I'm excited to add up our annual figures but I know that December was our best month ever.

Good luck to us all in 2016.

Vic x

I was too busy this year with one member of full time staff having to have emergency surgery. Lucky shes one the mend and will be back soon but oh the headache of sorting out appointments we were flat out busy, i had to turn away business. I thought it was just my luck that expensive things also broke over xmas! i'm having all the repairs done this week. Takings were slightly down due to all the lovely problems but that's life! Hectic manic and cant wait to do it all over again boy do i love my job! hehe!

I don't mind the quiet time at the moment as i can review for what i intend to do for this year.

Wishing all my fabulous geeks a year of positive vibes health wealth and happiness! xoxo

Latest posts

Back