How did you get into the industry?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misslaura

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm just curious how you all decided to get into this industry?

I am begining my course on monday to do my NVQ level 2 In Beauty THerapy. It's something i've always wanted to do. I recently lost my job (i had to leave because i was being bullied!) so decided now was the time to follow my dream and do the job i wanted to get into! I should have gone to college straight from school but at the time i thought you had to be a perfect size 10, model looks and apply your make up with a spade to be get into the college courses!

So, how did you all get into this industry?

Misslaura,

I also had the same thoughts as you when I was 16 and I'm 24 now have a 2 year old, work full time and studying NVQ2 beauty therapy at college one night a week!

Started in Sept doing a 2 year course and I am loving it! Doing facials next week, started with eye treatments (haven't had any formatives yet!), after facials I am going to invest in doing an NVQ in make-up with Pinks as it is not included in my college course! And do further training in other areas once I have finished my course!

Its the best thing I have ever done!

Best of luck with your course!

I when to a skincare party when I was 18 and the woman running it was a beauty therapist. She said I would be suited to beauty and so I decided to go to college. I was lucky there as I was only going to do a PT course but I got chatting to the Head of Beauty and she said one of the girls was going to drop out of the FT course that September and did I want the place. There were only 10 places a year then and I could not believe my luck. I got a grant and did my training. That was over 20 years ago now and I always get drawn back to it so I guess it was meant to be.:hug:

When I was doing my A-levels at college, I was very interested in the whole holistic way of life, and decided on a whim, to enrol in a year long reflexology course! I qualified and then spent a year trying to get work...but nobody wants to employ a full-time reflexologist who does nothing else! Everywhere I went, people were asking me "do you do pedicures too?" or "Reflexology's great, I assume you do massage as well?"...eventually I got so fed up of being asked the same things, I thought i might as well go and do beauty! I only started the course as a way to get a job where I would be able to use my reflexology qualification, and do what I wanted to do in the first place...! I'm so pleased I did qualify in beauty though, it's my life and I can't imagine what I'd be doing otherwise.
Never thought I'd say that all those years ago though!!
And how on earth did I think I could treat feet all day, every day?!

By accident!!

I was injured in my previous career and took an ill health retiral.
I then thought I would just do a nail course to keep myself occupied, as I loved getting my own nails done!!

Since then, I have done all the courses available to me, and gone from a part time nail tech in a Salon, to running my own business, employing staff, and becoming an Educator. This really made a big change in my life, forcing me to get out there and communicate with people, give presentations, write lesson plans etc.......and I loved it!!

Education took over, and I gave up my business to concentrate on that.
I am so lucky that I have had the opportunity to work & train with some of the best names in the business, and now I am involved in so many other aspects of the Industry, I hardly have time to do nails!!!:eek:

I have to laugh when people look distinctly unimpressed when I say I am a Nail Technician, but I know how much hard work I have put in, and the skills I have gained, marketing, sales,book keeping, customer service, oh yea and I can knock out a damn good set of nails as well !! :lol:

Best accident I ever had!

well I orginally trained as a chef and baker!
worked in the industry for a number of years and when my husband decided to move us to the North East, I enrolled on a body massage evening class for 'something to do'.

the christmas before my husband had bought me an aromatherapy book and I spent the whole of christmas day with my nose in it reading it over and over again. the college wouldn't let me do aromatherapy until I held a body massage cert so I thought what the hell, just do it.

that was 15 years ago, and I have pursued the holistic therapy courses around the county learning whatever took my fancy.

20 years ago I did a teaching certificate as I intended teaching cookery rather than being a chef, so I transferred my knowledge to holistics and started working in colleges alongside my therapy business.

I now rent from 2 venues and have opened up my own holistic therapy training business so have the best of both worlds. some days I'm a therapist other days I'm a teacher. Heaven!

Latest posts

Back