How did you get started? Looking for advice....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jankax

Reaction score
Hi,
i'm sure lots of you have been in the same situation so hopefully you'll be able to give me some much needed advice :)

I've recently qualified with EN doing gel nails and now I'm waiting for my CND L&P course to start in September (already done manicure).

I'm really eager to start things up now to get as much practise in as possible so decided to try and set up a little salon at home and start offering manicures/pedicures and Minx.
Now the question I wanted to ask you is - should i also offer gel enhancements even though i'm not 100% happy with them and it's still taking me ages to do a set...? :( Or should i just wait and practise on nail trainer and myself until I'm happy with the result and start offering them then?

I was thinking of putting gels on the price list anyway, have a 'special offer' on them and cut them down to half price for the next 3-4 months...that way I might be able to get some people in to practise on, I will explain to them that I'm newly qualified when (if!) they book so they'll know what to expect...

What did you guys do? Did you just get out there and started charging straight away or did you wait until you got better...?
Any comments welcome :) and sorry for rambling on :green:

Hi there! I would want to wait until I was happier with my nails. The problem is that if you go ahead and produce nails that you don't think are good enough you are just causing yourself stress! You could put them on your pricelist if you want or talk to your clients and tell them that you are entering your intermediate period where you have your first qualification but need practice, this way you can charge less and they are expecting less.

It is hard to start, I remember it well and we tend to stress more than our clients do. Keep up your high standards and you will find the right way, your own way, of doing things. Good luck my darling I am sure you will do very well!

Sheila :) xxx

I always knew when I was starting out to use a new system, that whatever sort of a mess I made with product on the nails, I would always be able to make a nice result by filing it on finishing. At least this ensured that the client would be happy with the end result, even if it took me longer to get there .... so if you know that you can make a nice end result, then go for it and get as much practice in as possible.

If on the other hand you think that you cannot make the end result a nice one for the customer/client then keep practicing your finishing technique until you can.

Last edited:
Thank you both for your replies :)
It does make more sense to practise a bit more first, get some confidence and then get out there.
Can't wait.... :)

Latest posts

Back