How did you get your job?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geekling

Reaction score
Hello geeks!

This thread is just out of interest really, I'm 19 nearly 20, just finished my level 3 beauty at college went on a voluntary placement (off my own back) worked in the salon Saturdays and some Sundays for 2 months, the owner unfortunately let me down with regards to a job she sort of said about.

I'm now looking for work, happy to relocate anywhere down south but I'm finding so hard! I've personally emailed different company's/salons with no luck...

Anyway onto the main question - how did you get your job? What did you do to make you stand out in front of the 1000's of others?

Looking forward to hearing your responses!

Personally I'm not sure I have ever got a job by responding to an advert...mine have all been achieved by writing a kick-ass covering letter with a well written and clearly presented cv. Sometimes companies are looking and will call you shortly, other times they may keep your cv on file. I got the job I have now from a company who were impressed with my cv, but not hiring at the time...they called me 2 years later..!

Find the names and addresses of companies you'd like to work for, and get posting. I would aim for 50 to 100 companies if you can, better to hedge your bets and be turning jobs down than not finding anything.

Oh, and spell check the cv..! Nothing worse than a badly written one, you'd be wasting your time if its littered with spelling mistakes...!

Personally I'm not sure I have ever got a job by responding to an advert...mine have all been achieved by writing a kick-ass covering letter with a well written and clearly presented cv. Sometimes companies are looking and will call you shortly, other times they may keep your cv on file. I got the job I have now from a company who were impressed with my cv, but not hiring at the time...they called me 2 years later..!

Find the names and addresses of companies you'd like to work for, and get posting. I would aim for 50 to 100 companies if you can, better to hedge your bets and be turning jobs down than not finding anything.

Oh, and spell check the cv..! Nothing worse than a badly written one, you'd be wasting your time if its littered with spelling mistakes...!

Thanks for your reply! I have a good CV but will certainly do a good cover letter! Thanks again for the tips! :) xx

My first job was at a Spa near me (and I was still at college at the time!) they are always desperate for therapists! It's hard work, but I learnt a lot!

if you are thinking of moving down south why not look at some of the health spas where you get accommodation aswell. Im sure there was a thread recently about it, maybe have a search?

Spas are definitely where its at. They are less reluctant to take on college leavers compared to salons. Ragdale hall looks like an amazing opportunity if youre able to live there.

Be sure to include your work experience on your cv and good luck :)

Latest posts

Back