How do achieve perfect French?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xkayla_herex

Xamyx
Reaction score
My new therapist is having trouble doing a French polish, I'm not the best at it so would appreciate any tips that can help. For normal polish and shellac polish tips would be great.
The only top I have was to use a clean gel/acrylic brush to neaten up te smile line.
How do you all do your French polish do you do the white first? Do you start from the sides to the middle when doing the white tip? How thick do you do it do you go just under there natural nail line or the same width?

My new therapist is having trouble doing a French polish, I'm not the best at it so would appreciate any tips that can help. For normal polish and shellac polish tips would be great.
The only top I have was to use a clean gel/acrylic brush to neaten up te smile line.
How do you all do your French polish do you do the white first? Do you start from the sides to the middle when doing the white tip? How thick do you do it do you go just under there natural nail line or the same width?

Personally I do base then pink... And then white I paint from one side to the center and then the other side to the centre. I paint the white just a tad above the natural smile line so it lasts longer as the nail grows! Then top coat! (I do the Same for gel polish and norm polish) x

I do same as the comment above with pink first (usually negligee but I personally prefer Beau, most choose Neg though) when i do the white I start at one side and sort of roll the finger until I reach the other side. I use the natural smile as a guide but go slightly above. Never too much though as it can look un-natural.

Cleaning up with a gel brush moistened in alcohol is a great trick. If you are still practicing I'd say do a slightly bigger white line then you need and remove excess with brush.

It's all about practicing with French, takes a whole to get hang of it and used to scare me but now it's very simple x

I do same as the comment above with pink first (usually negligee but I personally prefer Beau, most choose Neg though) when i do the white I start at one side and sort of roll the finger until I reach the other side. I use the natural smile as a guide but go slightly above. Never too much though as it can look un-natural.

Cleaning up with a gel brush moistened in alcohol is a great trick. If you are still practicing I'd say do a slightly bigger white line then you need and remove excess with brush.

It's all about practicing with French, takes a whole to get hang of it and used to scare me but now it's very simple x

When you say clean up with Alcohol, do you mean acetone?

No I think she means 99% isopropyl alcohol, this is what I use to clean up french lines :)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using SalonGeek mobile app

I finally achieved the PERFECT smile line. After trying repeatedly to clean up
the line with a brush this time I grabbed an orange wood stick. Dip the pointy end in 99% ipa, dab off a little the ln take along the smile line while holding the stick STRAIGHT up and down, so it's always the perfect point against the nail. Gave me a precision line. I totally did a little dance. (yes I was just working on a practice hand lol).

When you say clean up with Alcohol, do you mean acetone?

No I don't mean acetone I mean alcohol like D Sperse that we use to remove inhibition layer after shellac application.

If you are using regular polish like VINYLUX or OPI then I'm not sure it would work. In that case you could do the white line first then clean up with polish remover and then do the pink x

I wouldn't rely too much on clean up though, it's good to use if you mess up but it would be even better if you could get the perfect line without it. It's all about practice practice practice :) x

Does anyone else have issues with french polish lasting? My clients are all with finished result but within days have contacted me saying its chipped and this us with gel polish.
I am careful not to apply it thickly and am ectra careful when sealing the end of the nail. Have no issues with normal colour just french :( please help I used to love doing french polish now I hate it and dread when people ask.
Xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Does anyone else have issues with french polish lasting? My clients are all with finished result but within days have contacted me saying its chipped and this us with gel polish.
I am careful not to apply it thickly and am ectra careful when sealing the end of the nail. Have no issues with normal colour just french :( please help I used to love doing french polish now I hate it and dread when people ask.
Xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Me too, smile lines are perfect but they chip within a few days!

Latest posts

Back