How do i go about changing my business name?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Linz

Reaction score
When i set up my business, I really didnt know what to call myself, and just decided on 'hair makeup & nails by linzi' because it was the first thing that came into my head, and it basically summed up what I did. Well, the thing is, now I do much more than just hair,makeup & nails (tanning eyelash extensions, waxing etc plus future courses planned) so I would like to change my name to reflect this (also, it is a bit of a mouthful when answering the phone).

Now obv, I need to speak to the bank as my account name will change, but who else to I need to inform? I noticed on my previous tax returns i've had to fill in the business name, so do i need to inform them of a name change when it comes to next years tax return, or can I just write 'new name - formerly XYZ'?

Oh i'm so comfused! I guess I need to speak to them direct.

Is there anyone else I should be informing (other than clients obv) ?

Thanks

If you are a sole trader (ie, not registered at Companies House), I would expect it to be a fairly easy process.

Inland Revenue is a must - just check on your self-assessment forms and you should find a phone number. You can call them and let them know. Let your bookkeeper know, and your bank (which you've already got planned), and your clients.

Don't forget your existing advertising? Do you have a yellow pages ad, or any paid advertising (newspaper, magazines, etc)? Make sure you let them know too!

What a brilliant oportunity for a relaunch.

You could inform the local press, have a open evening and leaflet/email/phone current clients and maybe put an offer on at the same time (ie. free eye lash tint with every course booked) for a couple of weeks to celebrate the rename. Also Dont for get to inform suppliers, all untility companies (if in busness name)

Good Luck
Anita

Latest posts

Back