How do I retail effectively?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
Many ask how can I retail products effectively? Here are 6 important tips posted recently by my friend Herman Paez. This is really all it takes! HTH

1. Educate yourself about the products you sell. Large, impersonal chains don’t have to be super knowledgeable about what they sell — their low prices give them a huge edge over the competition. To compete with the big guys, you have to have in-depth knowledge about every item that you sell. Learn the pros and cons of each item that you carry. Keep up to date on new developments, and try to stock the most current products. Partner with companies that have a proven track record in retail sales, like OPI. When training new staff, try to get them up to speed on product knowledge and how various products work.

2. Be enthusiastic about your products. A customer is a lot more likely to buy what you’re selling when she or he gets the sense that you’re genuinely enthusiastic about it. It helps tremendously to be a fan of the products that you sell. It’s smart to hire people who are truly into the things that you have on your shelves.

3. Be friendly, not oppressive. If you’ve ever been harassed by a salon sales staff, you know how off-putting and aggravating it can be. Give a customer that kind of experience and you can forget about earning any repeat business from him or her. You should be friendly, but not pushy with your customers. Suffocating a customer is a sure-fire way to chase her away.

4. Ask the customer questions. Asking questions is a lot more effective than pushing a product on a customer — at least, it is if you want to make lots of sales. When you ask questions about what they want or need, you show customers that you care. This is especially effective when it is done in a low-key and laid-back way. Keep the pressure to an absolute minimum and make it clear that you genuinely want to help them find the right thing.

5. Location is key. How many times have you heard the phrase, "location, location, location"? Whether it's a display set at your table or in the FRONT waiting area of your salon, make sure your products are fully stocked, clean, well-lit and that they’re in an area with easy access and great visibility.

6. Sell add-ons, but be savvy about it. Cross-selling related items to a customer is a tried-and-true way to boost sales. It tends to annoy people, though, when you do it at the register or end of the service. Instead, suggest additional items while she or he is still at your station. If possible, put a personal spin on things by relating stories about the related items that you’ve put to good use.

I have built my salon business on excelling at treatments and being able to retail effectively.
I never "sell" products; I "recommend" them. I tell my clients that these are the products I recommend for their particulat needs, that there is never any obligation to accept my recommendations, but in order to get the most out of the treatment they would benefit from x,y or z.
Here's the killer line.
"if you're not happy with any product from me I will give you your money back."
This gives your client a feeling of absolute reassurance. It becomes a risk free venture for them if they know that a refund/exchange is available.

I also believe that written aftercare sheets help enormously with retailing. My facial sheet outlines skin condition, issues, client expectation, treatment details and recommended products with prices. The same applies to tanning, waxing and shellac.

Samples are vital. If you give your clients a sample of the cream you want them to use and make a note of it on their sheet you will have a better chance of selling it them next time!

I have built my salon business on excelling at treatments and being able to retail effectively.
I never "sell" products; I "recommend" them. I tell my clients that these are the products I recommend for their particulat needs, that there is never any obligation to accept my recommendations, but in order to get the most out of the treatment they would benefit from x,y or z.
Here's the killer line.
This gives your client a feeling of absolute reassurance. It becomes a risk free venture for them if they know that a refund/exchange is available.

I also believe that written aftercare sheets help enormously with retailing. My facial sheet outlines skin condition, issues, client expectation, treatment details and recommended products with prices. The same applies to tanning, waxing and shellac.

Samples are vital. If you give your clients a sample of the cream you want them to use and make a note of it on their sheet you will have a better chance of selling it them next time!

Have you ever had to give a client their money back?

Once in five years, and I knew she was going to be tricky!
I know my products inside and out, and I'm supported by having a very effective brand to work with.

Here's the killer line.

I also offer a full refund if they don't see an improvement in their skin. I have found that most people are reassured, and it gives them total peace of mind. As Geeg says, knowing your products and being able to give that intimate one-to-one service is what makes a massive difference! They are then far more likely to buy from you than a faceless store. As yet, I have never had to give money back!!!

Hiya, can I add that we should remember to close the "sale".

All to often I find my team being really enthusiastic about the product (oil,cream etc) explaining to the client how fab it is, what it will do, how to use.... And then at the end of the treatment the client is charged for the service and bye bye.
I've even seen people recommend the benefits of gel mani, pedi but don't actually offer the client the chance to upgrade their appointment or the opportunity to book in for the more suitable appointment 😳

I find that following geegs advice really works as if you believe in your product then your client will too... And remember to close the sale gently by kindly asking " would you like to take the solar oil/ handcream/base coat etc today".

Great thread.

Another tip I've learned, when trying to tackle the often contentious issue of 'how much', break it down into cost per wear.

For example, a day cream costing £30-35 which will typically last 3 months, works out at 40 pence a day.

Also explain the correct amount of product you need. Often, with more active, professional products, a little goes a long way :) I advise customers that using more of the product than necessary is a waste. This shows that you are genuinely concerned about helping them and not just selling.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Hiya, can I add that we should remember to close the "sale".

All to often I find my team being really enthusiastic about the product (oil,cream etc) explaining to the client how fab it is, what it will do, how to use.... And then at the end of the treatment the client is charged for the service and bye bye.
I've even seen people recommend the benefits of gel mani, pedi but don't actually offer the client the chance to upgrade their appointment or the opportunity to book in for the more suitable appointment 😳

I find that following geegs advice really works as if you believe in your product then your client will too... And remember to close the sale gently by kindly asking " would you like to take the solar oil/ handcream/base coat etc today".
Good tip and also I find that if I have retail next to me as I work, I can pick the item up and actually hand it to the client while I am "enthusing and explaining what it will do". Once they have it in their hand or have set it down next to where they are sitting, they seldom leave without the item. I always make a note of what is purchased on the Client Record Card so that at the next visit when I review the CRC I don't go over old ground again.

I could not live without my CRC,s. Every morning the CRC's are pulled' for that days appointments and I review who is coming in ... They tell me everything about the last appointment and that knowledge is invaluable. I don't write a book, just a few notes while the client washes her hands and it's all done and dusted to file away. :)

My advice is to never assume someone can't afford it. Retail to everyone as the worst that can happen is they'll say no.

Just because a client doesn't flash their cash doesn't mean they have none. Also, by buying the retail item they are getting more worth from their treatment.

This is just the thread I need. I'm venturing out on my own and retail is top of my list above 'new treatments' taking the phrase from Sam Sweet about working smarter not harder. BUT my confidence when it comes to 'and that will be £X' is my stumbling block, and I know its my issue not the buyers.

I've written down Lynne's line re "can I recommend ....... because it will support your treatment in between visits" do I then just tag on and that's X pounds? or is there a nicer way of putting it????? :Love:

This is just the thread I need. I'm venturing out on my own and retail is top of my list above 'new treatments' taking the phrase from Sam Sweet about working smarter not harder. BUT my confidence when it comes to 'and that will be £X' is my stumbling block, and I know its my issue not the buyers.

I've written down Lynne's line re "can I recommend ....... because it will support your treatment in between visits" do I then just tag on and that's X pounds? or is there a nicer way of putting it????? :Love:

I actually used to apologise to clients when I told them what their bill had come to. I made myself stop - which I found hard. I sometimes run over what they've had, and then say 'and with your products, that comes to....' That works for me - sometimes they forget what they've had, so a quick run through helps!!! I also say - that retails at....and it should last you....

I actually used to apologize to clients when I told them what their bill had come to. I made myself stop - which I found hard. I sometimes run over what they've had, and then say 'and with your products, that comes to....' That works for me - sometimes they forget what they've had, so a quick run through helps!!! I also say - that retails at....and it should last you....

Too many 'close the client's purse' before it has even been opened!!! That's why so many women are rubbish at retailing. Their body language and the tone of their voice is screaming that they are apologizing while they are trying to sell .... won't work.

When I'm selling Solar Oil for example I always sell 2 if I can ..one for at home by the bed and the other for their handbag!
If a client is looking at two things and says to me, "I don't know which to take" I say, "I'd take both!!" :) and I laugh, and they usually do.
When I am doing a hand massage and using some gorgeous Scentsations Hand and Body lotion I show them the bottle and the matching hand wash; even if they don't buy it that day, they know it's available and where to come for it. It all becomes 2nd nature after a while, especially when you have successful 'closings'.

You have to be relaxed when you are selling ... if you are up tight because you are thinking all these thoughts about the money etc. you will never be a good sales person.

Geeg, can I ask you for a couple of good 'closing the sale' phrases which have worked for you, please?

I always put an asterisk next to the product I want the client to buy and I say:
"It can be a bit daunting to take it all at once but the one product that's going to make the biggest single difference to your skin/nails/etc is this one."

I also say:
How often do you go the dentist?
And you clean your teeth in between visits to him?
Well, it's exactly the same with skin: you need to take care of it between salon visits, and this product will address the concerns you told me about earlier.

I always put an asterisk next to the product I want the client to buy and I say:
"It can be a bit daunting to take it all at once but the one product that's going to make the biggest single difference to your skin/nails/etc is this one."

I also say:
How often do you go the dentist?
And you clean your teeth in between visits to him?
Well, it's exactly the same with skin: you need to take care of it between salon visits, and this product will address the concerns you told me about earlier.

Oh, love this! Genius :)

I love the saying about closing your client's purse before they have opened it. We should never presume what a client can and cannot afford, that is their decision, not ours. After all, if they are in your salon having treatments they obviously have disposable income!

We need to apply the same techniques to retail as we do to recommending treatments and services. Don't think of retail as an 'extra', it should be an integral part of the treatment process that the client continues at home.

Upping your game in retail is invaluable.....it helps the client gain maximum benefit from their treatment, increases profits, and encourages brand and salon loyalty!

J

Fab thread! So handy!
Now something that I find works really well for me especially after facials is that i get out a selection of products that would be recomended. I get out the products that will give them their maximum results and the product that will give minimum results. so everything from cleanser toner, moisturiser, eye cream , night cream , neck cream would be maximum results minimum would be cleanser moisturiser and night cream for example! I really find this works for me after treatments and people like that ive taken the time to think about what they need! xxx:Love:

Do you guys have any tips for selling at home? I know it's probably not a huge difference but I guess I don't really have any displays and without a till area to place things around I've found it hard. I rant and rave about solar oil and have sold a couple of pinkies but most of my gel polish clients are my younger sisters friends and I'm not sure how much of it they take in as those appointments always feel a little more informal

Thanks, appreciate all the time and wisdom you guys put into this site

Geeg, can I ask you for a couple of good 'closing the sale' phrases which have worked for you, please?

You can ask me but I'm not sure I can help. :biggrin: I never probably say the same thing twice and I usually don't really have to.

I have a 'style'. People/client's trust me and they trust that if I recommend something it is because they need it. I also have a certain amount of authority that comes with experience (maybe my age helps with this) but it is similar to a Doctor telling you you need something; if I say they need it and why they need iand what it will do for them then they just get it.

First thing is I know EVERYTHING about all my products .... I talk about them (no science stuff (unless it's really cool science stuff and relevant) only the things that will benefit them if they use it). EVen when it comes to a polish colour, I know what it will go with, what colours they can wear with it how useful it will be for them etc. By the time they get up to pay I might just tell them the service price and then add the total with the polish or the Solar Oil or whatever and they seldom don't include it.

I don't know what to say. I've always been good at retail and I put it down, not to fancy techniques, just a genuine enthusiasm for what I do and what I use and the fact that everything CND is high quality and the products work. I trust that with my life so it is easy to have the confidence to sell and I have a very easy friendly approach and it never occurs to me that the client wont buy from me. Maybe that is the secret .. if you think they won't buy then they won't ... if you assume they will, they usually do. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I find retailing whilst being mobile hard. I havent always got the stock for clients as cant afford to buy in products just to sit around. What key things should i offer. I already offer solar oil. Should i keep retail in a seperate box/bag and take into every client for them to peruse. So much harder than having a display

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back