How do I tell my boss not to touch the wax pot?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo's Nails

Reaction score
Hi , basically my boss waxes when I am not there or if I am doing nails and I am left with her mess. I will come back to wax dribbled everywhere used wax strips left on trolley and splinters of wood where she splits the spatula. She also double dips multiple times which really annoys me. I don't double dip or split spatulas they are cheap enough.
I want to say to her that she is not to touch the wax pot or she cleans up after herself and she doesn't double dip. How can I do this in a nice way but still being firm and making sure hygiene standards are kept?

Turn the heat up dead high and hope she doesn't notice!!!
No answer for you except to say that's totally unacceptable. Tell her that she can't use your wax pot. End of story. If she continues, move x

That's really rude for her to do that. Is it a room that you rent or are you employed by her?

Is it your wax pot...do you rent the room?
If the answer is yes....then why is she helping herself? :confused:

If you are employed, that is obviously a different matter.

You will need to have the conversation regarding 'double dipping', and address the messy work area! :p

Good Luck.

No it's her wax pot and I keep it spotless. This morning I walked in to find spatula on top of pot with wax dribbled all down the pot and four bits of broken up spatula that had gone had in the wax. Wax strips every where. I warmed wax up and removed them. This afternoon I found the same thing. What can I do she's my boss?

Ahh this is a difficult one, as she is your employer I wouldn't ask her not to use the wax pot as it's hers and she has every right to use it- however just because she is your employer doesn't give the right to leave lots of mess for you to clear up this seems like she doesn't respect you and just expects you to do it.

Maybe you should just leave her mess as surely she wants the salon to be clean and professional and if you don't do it then hopefully she will get the message and do it herself.

Or just talk to her and tell her how you feel and maybe she will be more considerate.

The mess really bothers me I never leave mess behind when I leave the room. What bothers me the most is breaking the spatulas re-using them and leaving broken spatulas in the wax cross contamination and hygiene. I dribble My wax into another spatula and keep changing them through the servic, I know a place that never used a spatula more than once and I would follow this procedure if i could. Spatulas are only cheap and I feel she is trying to save pennies at the cost of hygiene.

Unfortunately it's her business. You could have a word about the cleanliness and spatulas, saying you could bring more clients in by showing how you are more hygienic than a lot of salons. I wouldn't expect her to agree though.

I think you need to learn to live with it or look for a new salon with the same standards as you x

It is an interesting point that VTCT dropped the 'dribble technique' a few years ago.
When their EV observes students waxing they are expected to do a one dip / one spatula technique.

Sorry a long and thought out reply follows ...I agree with FlawlessBeauty above .... I have in other jobs worked for people like this,
Several or most of your recent posts have been about this salon's standards... lack of desk dust filters, dirty pedi bowls, lack of filtration with spray tanning, virtually telling you to cut eponychium, the other waxing thread about having fleecy throws on couches for waxing/ crap cheap wax with a dodgy heater, pushing clients to have services they don't want and then this thread.
They are slovenly, have contempt for their staff and customers alike and take a rather perverted pride in their "Cowboy" behaviour.
(I know a lot of places that double dip, they use large stainless spats for large areas and disposable single dip for hot wax. I am not going to get into that argument)
It seems to me that you have a desire to do the best you can.. strive to better yourself and your clients and a drive. But this boss will (probably) not change, she may be a lot older than you and be put off by your "new fangled ideas" and maybe your passion has put a mirror in front of her. but I really do admire your perseverance I couldn't, wouldn't do it. This job will grind you either into submission or resentment and either way you will end up like her if you stay...
In all honesty look for a new job somewhere else or rent a room or work from home..
All the best. :)

Last edited:
Sorry a long and thought out reply follows ...I agree with FlawlessBeauty above .... I have in other jobs worked for people like this,
Several or most of your recent posts have been about this salon's standards... lack of desk dust filters, dirty pedi bowls, lack of filtration with spray tanning, virtually telling you to cut eponychium, the other waxing thread about having fleecy throws on couches for waxing/ crap cheap wax with a dodgy heater, pushing clients to have services they don't want and then this thread.
They are slovenly, have contempt for their staff and customers alike and take a rather perverted pride in their "Cowboy" behaviour.
(I know a lot of places that double dip, they use large stainless spats for large areas and disposable single dip for hot wax. I am not going to get into that argument)
It seems to me that you have a desire to do the best you can.. strive to better yourself and your clients and a drive. But this boss will (probably) not change, she may be a lot older than you and be put off by your "new fangled ideas" and maybe your passion has put a mirror in front of her. but I really do admire your perseverance I couldn't, wouldn't do it. This job will grind you either into submission or resentment and either way you will end up like her if you stay...
In all honesty look for a new job somewhere else or rent a room or work from home..

I completely agree you sound like you are underselling yourself by working here, to be honest. Aim higher!!;)

It is an interesting point that VTCT dropped the 'dribble technique' a few years ago.
When their EV observes students waxing they are expected to do a one dip / one spatula technique.

Hi CFBS
I recently went on a refresher for waxing and I was taught the dribble technique then. I didn't know it has been dropped. In my old salon we used cartridges to wax. Xx

Hi philby
Thank you for your reply. Xx I find it so disheartening that I want to achieve high standards in my work and the best for my clients. I read, research educate and invest in myself and would love to work somewhere with good hygiene standards. I have worked for 4 salons in the last two years where I have been ashamed to work for them and I have had to leave. In the interviews I state that I have high standards and tell them of the things I don't do then when I start working for them everything changes and there are no standards and its my job on the line. This makes me very sad. I am in no position to work for myself. I will have to bide my time untill I find some other way. Xx

I know it is difficult and probably very stressful for you, and yes I do see where you are coming from.
If you can suck it up without getting screwed up. then all power to you! but realise that, I bet nowhere will 100% have the highest hygiene standards if and when put under scrutiny will fail at some point. it's a matter of compromise of your own standards and the world of employers as you will always be under someone else's "standards".
Don't let that or this sort of crap destroy you. stay strong stick to a long term plan. :)

I think you need to learn to live with it or look for a new salon with the same standards as you x

Totally agree! I am self employed with no staff. I abhor double dipping and messy rooms and never do this. I have the wax trolley with a bin you can pull out like a drawer so there is no excuse to leave dirty disposables about.

I wonder if she washes her hands before the services though :confused:

Latest posts

Back