How do I tell my friend I don't want to work for her any more?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHarvey

Reaction score
So I have three children, (9 5 and 3), I work in a salon 3 days a week from 9-6, do some mobile and also do some commission pieces of art (pet portraits etc)
Just before Xmas my friend who is a professional artist asked me to work in her studio every Friday. She needed someone with a knowledge if art who was already self employed and competent in general admin. I leapt at the chance, my youngest goes pre school in a Friday so I thought it would be a fray chance to indulge my passion for art whilst spending time with a great friend who I love dearly.
Problem is, I am now so busy I am feeling really really run downn. I'm constantly tired, my house is a mess and I'm not getting any time to myself to draw or run or simply catch up on sleep.
I know I need to tell my friend that something has to give and as its my only non hairdressing day, it may have to be my day in the studio with her. Problem is she keeps saying how much she loves me being there and that she would love to buy me a laptop so I can do her admin at home in the evenings (she will pay and we could so with the money) she has even talked about setting up an office :-/.
Problem is I have come to the conclusion that in going to have to put my sanity first and start saying no but I don't want to let her down or offend her as she gets married in a few weeks and is stressing about all that :( what do I do??
Ps hope she doesn't read this, but if she does then at least I've said it now lol
and we could do with the money

Best way is to be honest :) if its making you feel run down, how much longer can you carry on doing it? Is your health really worth it.
3 kids and a house to look after is a full time job in it self, I only have 2 kids and a part time job and a college course so sort of feel your pain hun. If your honest and tell her how your feeling she will think a lot more of you for being honest :) xx

I think you tell her just that lovey and come to some arrangement of notice if you can, so she's not left in any bother in the mean time. A good friend will understand your dilemma. :Love:

Best way is to be honest :) if its making you feel run down, how much longer can you carry on doing it? Is your health really worth it.
3 kids and a house to look after is a full time job in it self, I only have 2 kids and a part time job and a college course so sort of feel your pain hun. If your honest and tell her how your feeling she will think a lot more of you for being honest :) xx

I know but its so hard..I can never say no lol

So I have three children, (9 5 and 3), I work in a salon 3 days a week from 9-6, do some mobile and also do some commission pieces of art (pet portraits etc)
Just before Xmas my friend who is a professional artist asked me to work in her studio every Friday. She needed someone with a knowledge if art who was already self employed and competent in general admin. I leapt at the chance, my youngest goes pre school in a Friday so I thought it would be a fray chance to indulge my passion for art whilst spending time with a great friend who I love dearly.
Problem is, I am now so busy I am feeling really really run downn. I'm constantly tired, my house is a mess and I'm not getting any time to myself to draw or run or simply catch up on sleep.
I know I need to tell my friend that something has to give and as its my only non hairdressing day, it may have to be my day in the studio with her. Problem is she keeps saying how much she loves me being there and that she would love to buy me a laptop so I can do her admin at home in the evenings (she will pay and we could so with the money) she has even talked about setting up an office :-/.
Problem is I have come to the conclusion that in going to have to put my sanity first and start saying no but I don't want to let her down or offend her as she gets married in a few weeks and is stressing about all that :( what do I do??
Ps hope she doesn't read this, but if she does then at least I've said it now lol
and we could do with the money

Wow you have one busy schedule!
I think you could do with the time off... Money isn't everything, I get so stressed when my house is a mess and I fall behind on paper work, and it's only me and my 3yo!
Maybe you could wait till after the wedding?
I'm sure she will understand, you will lose your mind otherwise!x x

I know how you feel I'm in a salon 2days a week work in a care home full time plus do mobile , I am working 73 hrs this week I feel like I'm missing out on my kids at the moment so decided to stop mobile it's hard but think of yourself for a Change , you are only human and need to rest once you've said it you will feel better , ps I can't say no either but best of luck Hun xxx

First things first you come first, if you don't have your health, your Children don't get the attention they deserve, your clients get let down and your fried loses too, so you are the most important in the scheme of your life.

You can tell her in such a way that you are praising her, something allong the lines of
"I'm really impressed with how well you have come along with x y and z part of the business (the areas you went in for), and you will be able to do it yourself now... Really it couldn't have come at a better time as I've been feeling really run down and a bit ill lately"
That way she will get the confidence boost to make her realise she can do it herself and you have said it in a nice way that lets you out (and may make her think twice about asking you not to go as a good friend will think of your health over their business) xoxo

First things first you come first, if you don't have your health, your Children don't get the attention they deserve, your clients get let down and your fried loses too, so you are the most important in the scheme of your life.

You can tell her in such a way that you are praising her, something allong the lines of
"I'm really impressed with how well you have come along with x y and z part of the business (the areas you went in for), and you will be able to do it yourself now... Really it couldn't have come at a better time as I've been feeling really run down and a bit ill lately"
That way she will get the confidence boost to make her realise she can do it herself and you have said it in a nice way that lets you out (and may make her think twice about asking you not to go as a good friend will think of your health over their business) xoxo

She knows I have been tired but don't think she has thought to attribute it to how hard I've been working :(
I'm not sleeping at night as its tge oy time I stop and actually think about things. I'm not worrying at night though its even positive stuff that I get excited about cos I finally have time to think about it!!
It was orifionally only meant to be until Xmas but she has had so many commissions that she needs me to stay in :(

Latest posts

Back