How do you apply Olaplex #1 when doing a straight treatment?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmw97

Reaction score
Olaplex says not to use a spray type bottle. Although I have on myself, I definitely have noticed it causes irritation...makes me cough a lot! When using on clients I haven't found a way to saturate hair without feeling like I'm wasting...as pouring it on causes some to be lost down the drain. Has anyone come up with a good method to avoid this?
Sent from my LG-D415 using SalonGeek mobile app

This is a brilliant question! As I would have put in spray bottle of it didn't say not to

Put the treatment in an applicator bottle.

Place a large metal bowl in the back wash and allow it to catch all the drips! You can then use it again.

I mix mine with a leave in conditioner plus water and add it to a spray bottle and then use it as a cutting lotion. Or just added to a treatment mask and apply.

Are we talking about stand alone treatments?

Are we talking about stand alone treatments?

If I add it to a mask, it's a treatment. I prefer to do this rather than add it directly into the bleach mix, so I'd apply it after bleaching/colouring.

I don't use a back wash so it's easier for me this way. Clients love it.

If I add it to a mask, it's a treatment. I prefer to do this rather than add it directly into the bleach mix, so I'd apply it after bleaching/colouring.

I don't use a back wash so it's easier for me this way. Clients love it.

Do you never add it into bleach?

Yes stand alone treatment. I should've mentioned I do use an applicator bottle but some still seems to go down the drain no matter how careful I am. So the bowl is a great idea! Not sure how I didn't think of it before as it seems so obvious to me now :)

Rarely now. I don't like bumping the developer and as I'm only doing a limited number of regular clients, they haven't got knackered hair to start with. :)

I mix mine with a leave in conditioner plus water and add it to a spray bottle and then use it as a cutting lotion. Or just added to a treatment mask and apply.
Do you find using it in a spray bottle is irritating to respiratory tract? Or being that it diluted more with the leave in as opposed to just water does it seem ok?

Rarely now. I don't like bumping the developer and as I'm only doing a limited number of regular clients, they haven't got knackered hair to start with. :)

Ah interesting! Its great to hear how other people use it!

Do you find using it in a spray bottle is irritating to respiratory tract? Or being that it diluted more with the leave in as opposed to just water does it seem ok?

I can't promise it would be fine in all situations but I've not personally encountered any problems. It seems fine diluted with water and a normal leave in conditioner. I take care not to saturate the hair, obviously.

Thank you all for your input... I love hearing what has worked well for others!

When I do a stand alone I rest the hair in a plastic cap, over the basin plug and saturate, 'resuck' the olaplex back up and resaturate until there is no more olaplex.

Olaplex says not to use a spray type bottle. Although I have on myself, I definitely have noticed it causes irritation...makes me cough a lot! When using on clients I haven't found a way to saturate hair without feeling like I'm wasting...as pouring it on causes some to be lost down the drain. Has anyone come up with a good method to avoid this?

I have this little cape that goes around the neck (Bib-Buddy.com) so I don't soak people but I use that to funnel the Olaplex into a bowl that has a spout (Logics Bowl) and then I put it back into the bottle and reuse for the full 5 minutes over & over again, the hair sucks it all up.
Then apply your #2 for minimum of 10 minutes but I do the 20 minutes to really get it in there and then I rinse, shampoo and condition or if the hair needs protein treatment I use that after the shampoo. I sell them the #3 and teach them how to use it.

Hi
read your thread regarding olaplex after colour. I’m just starting using olaplex and I have been using olive oil in bleach for years to avoid burning hair . Works like a dream , but I have been advised I cannot add olaplex to this mix . Would you suggest a post treatment of no:1 or just use no:2 especially if mixing no:1 in tint foils for example mixed with bleach foils ? Thanks ❤️

Two options that I tend to use, I either shut the drain trap on the backwash, use an applicator bottle, when it's empty, squeeze the air out and put the end in the drain trap and it will suck up the water/olaplex and then re-apply.
The other option, which is better for creating interest with other clients who do not have olaplex, I bought the large neck tray from A+F often used for perming, I sit the client at the station with the neck tray on, and follow the same steps,, suck it back up and re apply. Leave for the 5 minute and then apply the number 2. Clients tend to want to know what I'm doing, or "what that client over there is having done" and it created a great opportunity to talk about it and hopefully sell it to them!

Latest posts

Back