How do you cope with friends wanting free treatment?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katfin

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am attending the shellac conversion course in July and intend to go mobile thereafter.

When I tell friends and colleagues etc the main response I get is "oh that's great let me know if you need a model afterwards" Has anyone else had this problem and got a good response to say? I would like some clients not 50 models!! Thanks everyone

I would just say "Thank you but I already have enough models. You're more than welcome to book an appointment though...here's my pricelist"

Hope that helps [emoji4]

'That's great thanks but I've already sorted my models, but you can have your first set at a discounted rate of £x' and just take a couple of pound off your list price.

Both great thank you I am going to say it next time!! X

When I started out, I'm afraid I never did mates rates. It's much too hard to stop once you've started. I also found that when I wanted my legs waxed, the fact that my mate wouldn't take any money put me off.

All my friends pay full price. The only exceptions are where I make it clear 'these are on me'.

Good friends will want to support your business.

I like the idea of a few quid off the first set, but no more.

Good luck with your business.

Vic x

I don't do free treatments - as has been said above.

I had one friend who got freebies to start with but she drove me bananas. She would deliberately do things to see if the Shellac or Gel II was 'strong enough to handle it' and then come to me for repairs reporting her findings. It was very sweet but utterly ridiculous and I put a stop to it.

Now only two local people get freebies and both are able to offer me things I need back. One lady is a dog groomer and does a wonderful job washing my weimeraner, cutting her nails and making her smell nice and the other is a reflexologist. I'm getting quite addicted to her treatments :)

I did do some freebies to start 11 years ago and would strongly advise against it.

Interestingly enough as soon as I was brave enough to ask for actual money, the scroungers never came back and supported the business they were so anxious to help out by being a 'model'

Another thing ... Do them for free and they will not value them and will not look after them. Mine used cleaning products without gloves, laid bricks (I kid you not) and opened boxes while working at tesco all with my free nails on. Needless to say I had countless repairs (making you feel rubbish) and how can you charge for repairs when the full set was free and then the nails "just came off"!!!?? And you can bet they told their friends who did them - but NOT how badly they mistreated them.

Once I had proper paying clients they took the care they should and I had far fewer repairs, my confidence rose and I got recommendations.

PLEASE DONT EVEN START!! xx

Whenever I train in something new, I offer what I call case study sessions which are usually about 30-40% off the full price. This is so I get to practice but getting money in as well and there are only limited number of these sessions per case study. In return for them getting the discount, they also provide me with a testimonial and, if appropriate, a photo of before and after for me to publish on my website!

When I've had friends say this I say I've got models but I'll give you a discount. If they are good friends I'll discount it for them a little. They do favours for me so I see it as similar

Thanks everyone some really good comments here and all true! I'm going to follow your advice after all if it was the other way around I would be insisting on paying for my treatments x

I have one friend that is my guinea pig so I don't charge her but she also sometimes doesn't get a choice in what she has, depending on what I want to try out/practice. I also do my mums for free (I don't think I could charge her!) Nails is my hobby job so I only really do friends and family and i always ask that they at least cover the price of materials. I use INK gel polish so I charge the cost of a bottle so my collection grows. If it was my main income then I would have to have a set price list.

I have friends who i trust not to take the p*** based on past experiences. I tell them i have X Y and Z products i want to try so think of something they'd like with them and ill have a go.

No ones been cheeky enough to destroy their nails and expect me to drop everything to repair them and i don't get pestered or anything.

Anyone else i just say i don't need anyone at the moment but i will 'keep them in mind'.

Nails is also my 'hobby job' and I do bestie's nails for free - almost as a thank you for suggesting I start the business in the first pace and also because she doesn't mind being used as my guinea pig! I often give a full set as a birthday present to other friends but otherwise everyone pays the same rate. Much easier that way but I'm also happy to do nails for other services like dog walking or baby sitting :) x

Latest posts

Back