How do you know which gels are which?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charl_w6

Reaction score
How do you know if gels are soak off or buff off if you didn't do them and client hasn't a clue?

I'm not a nail tech but am qualified to do gelish and I have a client tomorrow that wants her gels removed before I gelish her up. So how will I know which method to use?

Sorry if any of you saw my last post, I didn't mean to offend anyone with the title...oops!

It's a hard call.

Have you been through the brands with your client to see if the remembers once youve said it? As her to describe the bottles?

Can you ask your client where she had them done and then google that place to find out what they use? Or even call them to ask, you don't have to say why!

Can you ask your client how she usually has them removed?

I usually wrap first and if that doesnt work I buff and wrap and add heat for extra speed.

Sorry if that's not much help. Its always tough removing another product when you don't know what it is.

Good Luck.

If they have been done at an NSS salon that rarely shows what it uses you maybe in for a struggle sometimes the gel isn't gel but L and P using MMA I've had this before and its like concrete you just can't get it off which is why it has to be filed off with an e file when they do Infills.
If its not an NSS then it may well be fine you will probably get an idea just from the look and feel hard gel feels just that where as soak off like bio or calgel feels slightly rubbery.

Thanks for replying...they were done in an nss so I think I'll leave it and tell her to get it removed by them, I thought it might have been a battle but I don't want to cause damage to her nail.

Thanks for replying...they were done in an nss so I think I'll leave it and tell her to get it removed by them, I thought it might have been a battle but I don't want to cause damage to her nail.

You don't want to cause damage to her nail so you're going to send her back to them?!

The others are right, if its NSS then it will more than likely be acrylic and will be kinda tricky to remove but book her an extra hour, wrap her nails up place a nice warm wheat bag (or two) over her hands, pop the kettle on and enjoy spending a bit of down time with your client while they soak.

After abut 30 mins individually unwrap the nail and remove the gloop, NS acrylic is weird, it kind of goes to jelly rather than dissolving into bitty bits. Re wrap them if you need to for another half hour and voila! Utterly wrecked naked nails for you to gel back to health.

- charge her tenner more than normal for removal and remind her that you're doing safe removal and she'll thank you all day long for saving her from having her nails picked apart at her old place.

I would also suggest on these nails to keep the length right down (1-2 mm) and even use a single layer of hard gel because they'll be flimsy as hell!

Goooooood luck! :D x

You don't want to cause damage to her nail so you're going to send her back to them?!

The others are right, if its NSS then it will more than likely be acrylic and will be kinda tricky to remove but book her an extra hour, wrap her nails up place a nice warm wheat bag (or two) over her hands, pop the kettle on and enjoy spending a bit of down time with your client while they soak.

After abut 30 mins individually unwrap the nail and remove the gloop, NS acrylic is weird, it kind of goes to jelly rather than dissolving into bitty bits. Re wrap them if you need to for another half hour and voila! Utterly wrecked naked nails for you to gel back to health.

- charge her tenner more than normal for removal and remind her that you're doing safe removal and she'll thank you all day long for saving her from having her nails picked apart at her old place.

I would also suggest on these nails to keep the length right down (1-2 mm) and even use a single layer of hard gel because they'll be flimsy as hell!

Goooooood luck! :D x
Totally agree! Do you want to cause further damege or show client right from wrong?
If it is NSS, they'll just pop the nails off and will have a cheek to charge for this "service"!

I recently went to an NSS just to see what they were doing. They used a primer, then a base in a brown bottle, gelish color and then a top coat in a different bottle than all the rest of bottles. Took me 2 1/2 hours to remove! First I soaked, then I filed , soaked, scraped hard with stick and soaked again. Filed the rest off. Still have clear bits on nails of something. . I can't believe how bad it is. Love my solar oil an shellac!

It might seem a challenge but won't it be worth it if you gain a very loyal new customer?

One who can tell her friends how awful the NSS ones are and point them in your direction?

Likelyhood is they will just stick her fingers in a bowl of acetone for an hour!

I would not wait 30 minutes... Some brands soak of in 5. I check every 5 minutes if the brand is unknown to me. If its flexible, it shouldn't take too long. If its a harder gel, then it may take 30, but if it hadn't budged by then, I'd just get to filing.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back