How do you run your home based salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharl

Reaction score
Hi there everyone,
I am new to this site, as well as nails. I have started my nail tech training, and are looking forward to finishing and hopefully working as a nail tech. One question I would like to ask people out there, is, for all you people who run their business from home, what do you do about making space for your business. Do you move one of the kids out of their room and do it up? or what. Also I live in the country abit, about 5 mins until I reach the small town in which I live in, do you think people will want to travel 5 mins out in the country to get their nails done. What are peoples thoughts on this.

Many thanks
Sharl:)

Hi There welcome to the site!! you will find some fab info!!!

Personally i would travel to get my nails done if i new i was gonna get a good job and possably a better job than somewhere close by.

Good luck xx

hi hun
try dong a search on going mobile q&a this will help you with all your question.hthx

Hi there everyone,
I am new to this site, as well as nails. I have started my nail tech training, and are looking forward to finishing and hopefully working as a nail tech. One question I would like to ask people out there, is, for all you people who run their business from home, what do you do about making space for your business. Do you move one of the kids out of their room and do it up? or what. Also I live in the country abit, about 5 mins until I reach the small town in which I live in, do you think people will want to travel 5 mins out in the country to get their nails done. What are peoples thoughts on this.

Many thanks

Hi

Quite a few geeks over here tend to have sheds/log cabins in their gardens and fit those out as a salon. Would that be an option for you?

Hi there everyone,

Many thanks

Hi Sharl,

Nice to see another New Zealander on here!!

As for your question, I think that people would definately be willing to travel 5 minutes to get their nails done. When I was working at Mount Maunganui people travelled from Tauranga and Te Puke to get their nails done quite happily.
Also, I am currently in Otaki, and have people wanting to travel from Porirua to get me to do their nails (I haven't actually contacted them as yet though :rolleyes:).

Who are you training with?

Take care

Hi there enchanced-barbie,
do you work from home, or have or work in a salon. I am traing with Lisa Davidson Training Academy, using Young Nails.

Cheer
Sharl

Hi there enchanced-barbie,
do you work from home, or have or work in a salon. I am traing with Lisa Davidson Training Academy, using Young Nails.

Cheer
Sharl

Hi again :)

I was working in a nail kiosk in Mount Maunganui, and was doing some clients from home in Tauranga, but I've only just set up my nail room down here (one of our spare rooms) and have yet to attract clients.

I use Young Nails too, I love the products! You have made a good choice :) (cant comment on the training achademy though, I trained in Tauranga)

Hi Sharl and Enhanced - Barbie

Another New Zealander here just saying hi!.

Sharl - I have a room in my home converted to a Nail Room as I only do nails part time. My clients are all friends so I don't mind them wandering through my place. But these are the things you need to think of when deciding where to set up. I would personally recommend having a room that is not attached to your house, or can be shut off from the house, you really need to keep the distractions of home life and kids etc away from where you work, and kids and partners shouldn't have to tiptoe around when clients are about, and my partner forever goes on about the monomer smell which travels all the way up the hallway to the lounge at the other end of the house!!! Some more great advice.... Make your way to the NZ Beauty Expo in Auckland on 15th & 16th August. Check out the website - there will be heaps of great stuff to check out and lots of people there for advice too. :)

Hey slightly off topic, but we should have a mini geek meet at the Expo.

I turned a little used spare room into a salon and it works very well. I live in a very rural village in the south of England and one of my regulars lives in Paris, claiming the French aestheticiennes are very snooty!
I have clients who travel miles and miles because they like what I do!

Be the best and watch your book fill up!

i agree with calla, people will travel if they like what you do! I have two lovely ladies who travel from london to me every two weeks, and have done for nearly 3 years now. I have a log cabin which i work from. Word of mouth will be your biggest tool if you are a little remote, so maybe introductory offers, introduce a friend type schemes could work for you. Good luck!

Hi Sharl and Enhanced - Barbie

Another New Zealander here just saying hi!.

Sharl - I have a room in my home converted to a Nail Room as I only do nails part time. My clients are all friends so I don't mind them wandering through my place. But these are the things you need to think of when deciding where to set up. I would personally recommend having a room that is not attached to your house, or can be shut off from the house, you really need to keep the distractions of home life and kids etc away from where you work, and kids and partners shouldn't have to tiptoe around when clients are about, and my partner forever goes on about the monomer smell which travels all the way up the hallway to the lounge at the other end of the house!!! Some more great advice.... Make your way to the NZ Beauty Expo in Auckland on 15th & 16th August. Check out the website - there will be heaps of great stuff to check out and lots of people there for advice too. :)

Hi Kellyo, great to meet another NZer! Where abouts in NZ are you from? :)

Hey slightly off topic, but we should have a mini geek meet at the Expo.

That would be so awesome! I am definately going to do what I can to try and be there, probably with fiance in tow haha.

Latest posts

Back