How do you stop your own Shellac coming off when soaking off clients?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geeky.marie

Reaction score
I've recently changed all my systems over to cnd other than brisa. I used to use OPI and used Axxium on my own nails (hard gel). Brisa lite is amazing so I don't want to buy brisa gel but of course my own nails are getting ruined. I want to know if I was to just buy the brisa top coat could that be applied instead of brisa lite top coat to stop mine coming off or is there any other ways of stopping my nails coming off? Xxxx

I use Shellac and to date I've not found a full proof way of not ruining my nails, to some extent, when doing a clients nails. The only thing that helps is to be really careful with hand placement when using acetone, scrub fresh, nail polish remover and even IPA! Some techs use the plastic backed pads but I'm just really careful. However, I do sometimes have to replace my right hand thumb and index finger, possibly once a week.

Karaxxx

For removal I wear a pair of marigolds :cool:

The only thing i hqve found that works 100% when dealing with acetone is glaze n go top coat xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I wear nitrile gloves when doing manicures

I always use the Brisa Lite topcoat over my Shellac, but I wouldn't rely on it alone and back it up with plastic back pads and being careful. I'm not doing nails day in and day out so this works for me, but you may be better off using gloves if you are going to be working more.

Don't want to appear as I'm rubbishing the product, but this is another reason why I chose Gelish over Shellac. Gelish doesn't come off during ANY soak offs until you remove the Gelish top coat.
Hope you find a suitable remedy, it's awful seeing your own nails ruined, especially with a client in front of you.

Ah thanks guys for your answers. I think I might try out putting a hard gel top coat on and see what happens. I'll let you know how it goes, unless anyone wiles already tried it?? Xx

Don't want to appear as I'm rubbishing the product, but this is another reason why I chose Gelish over Shellac. Gelish doesn't come off during ANY soak offs until you remove the Gelish top coat.
Hope you find a suitable remedy, it's awful seeing your own nails ruined, especially with a client in front of you.

Gelish does actually come off without removing the top coat, it just takes quite a bit longer.. It's not acetone resistant at all, it just takes longer to break down than the colour and foundation layers........

I would give brisa top coat ago, I think it should work. But make sure you use your shellac top coat as usual then brisa over the top so you don't break the system.

I don't see why that would be a problem at all, since it's just for your self and not doing it on a client nails :)

When I wear Shellac, I put an extra top coat (or two) of Gelish Top It Off. It resists acetone, so unless you soak it, it usually doesn't damage the manicure. I was concerned with whether this amounted to mixing systems, which we try not to do, but felt that putting something on top of a Shellac manicure isn't really mixing, any more than stamping on top of a Shellac manicure would be considered mixing.

I wear gloves.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I use Shellac and to date I've not found a full proof way of not ruining my nails, to some extent, when doing a clients nails. The only thing that helps is to be really careful with hand placement when using acetone, scrub fresh, nail polish remover and even IPA! Some techs use the plastic backed pads but I'm just really careful. However, I do sometimes have to replace my right hand thumb and index finger, possibly once a week.

Karaxxx

me too. But I have a solution (well for me anyway), I hate wearing gloves, they make me so hot, but have bought some and simply cut the thumbs and fingers off. When using acetone now I just pop one over my thumb and forefinger just while using it, then its no bother to slip them off after. I have a new box of 100 so I figure that gives me 1000 disposable finger gloves lol

me too. But I have a solution (well for me anyway), I hate wearing gloves, they make me so hot, but have bought some and simply cut the thumbs and fingers off. When using acetone now I just pop one over my thumb and forefinger just while using it, then its no bother to slip them off after. I have a new box of 100 so I figure that gives me 1000 disposable finger gloves lol

OMG Blossom you're a genius, I'm gonna give that a go tomorrow - I love you!

Karaxxx

Buy some finger cots off eBay

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Well I tried the gloves and they melted lol. Maybe you guys use latex but I'm allergic to that so thinking possibly the gellish top coat as they got that in one of the salons I work in. Might check out the finger things though!

Latest posts

Back