How far have you traced back your Family Tree?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
This is something that I've been interested in for ages, I'm planning on tracing my family tree back as far as possible quite soon. I have quite a lot of info regarding names, dates etc; my husband also is keen to do his side.

Just wondered how many geeks out there have traced theirs and whether they have had much success? Also any tips on how to best go about it. How far have you managed to trace back, also did your search throw up any surprises/shocks along the way? Are you glad you did it?

Look forward to reading the posts. :) xxx

i did mine and i reached the 1300 i think. i couldn't go any further back due to a fire in the church. to be honest mine was quite simple. My family are originally from suffolk so the church records were the easiest way to go about it. it was pretty fun and it's so cool to know about all your family!

My mum has been doing ours and its really interesting.She has signed up with one of those sites and is doing only 3 months and asking losts of questions to the family. i posted a tread similar to this just a few mins ago and hadnt seen this.
have fun

try FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records
It has really good info. I've gone back to about 1700, using this site and by going to the records office in Edinburgh. My mum's family are quite easy though, because they come from highland villages. One of my ancestors married a woman, who died leaving him with several children. He married her sister a few months later!

Hubby did my fathers side and went back to the 1400's

I would love to do my mums but dont have time at the moment, maybe I will start once the kids are older and have more time.

Someone in my dads family are doing one side of the family at the moment and she as just found out they have something to do with a earl from somewhere.

My mum and step dad have been tracing back for a good few years now...they have used the Mormon site but have also been up to London, St Catherine's House to check records and also been to various parts of the country to check local records....illegitimatechildren have come up, which adds another slant to the search....so far, they've traced back to the 1800's

my sister & i, have been doing our family tree for approx 18 months & have found out some interesting things! no other members of our family knew about & have turned some worms!! been very interesting & highly recommend.

ive been tracing both mine and hubbys family tree for 3 years now, i use ancestry.co.uk and genes reunited (i have found so many realatives in the last year its fab) i have one side of my tree going back to 1500 and toms side back to earlier 1800 so far, have also come across a skeleton, we dont know what it is, but know matter who we've made contact with, it stops at this person, everyone dissaperas and theres no record further back, one family member said she knew what it was , but wouldnt tell anyone !!

its a very interesting and rewarding hobby but very expensive lol, once i know ive found someone i always want the certificate ie, birth marriage death, especially marriage etc as it gives you so many details,

but beware you might find something you dont like lol

have a go its great fun, and theres loads of sites out there to help you:lol:

nicky xxx

Ooh, I have been wanting to do this from quite sometime, but most of the websites out there want you to pay a fee :irked:

I am the coordinator for our family reunion and I thought that the genelogy bit would be very interesting conversation....

Latest posts

Back